Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[Idea] New Disease idea
Doctor is now boring Job because no new disease come up to play with in routine.so here is some idea for the disease which could add
1.Stroke 
 stroke can happen by got hit on the head or have chronic hypertension or accidentally happen in small chance
Symptoms: patient will present with weakness , aphasia 

-Ishecmic stroke cause by thrombus occlusion in small vessel make blood supply decrease to brain 
Treatment : Anticoagulant drug : Heparin 
-Hemorrhagic stroke cause by small vessel is damage and bleeding in skull 
Treatment : Coagulant drug : proconvertin 
2.Infective endocarditis : cause after viral infection small chance to develope this can detect only by stethoscope found murmur 
Symptom: chest pain , dyspnea , fever 
Treatment : in early detect aspirin and antibiotic , in severe stage heart transplant 
3.Chronic kidney disease ; cause by poor diet and other disease like diabetes and hypertension make all chemical can’t clearance
Symptom: pale , hypertension , chronic low back pain 
Treatment : intitial treatment is hemodialysis but still need renal transplant
4.Diabetes melitus : Cause by poor diet control or congenital depend on type this disease can make many complication in other system
Type1 no insulin release from your pancreas 
Symptom: make sugar in bloodstream always high but can’t use it until 
get insulin 
Treatment :intitial treatment is giving insulin but still need pancreas transplant 
Type2 mean insulin resistance your body can’t response for insulin no matter how
Treatment : insulin receptor enchantments medicine like metformin, SGLT2 inhibitor 
5.Diabetes retinopathy 
Cause by poor control DM 
Symptoms : your vision blur and progression until blindness 
Treatment : intitial treatment control diabetes to stop progression and need eye transplant
I will firmly say No. These disease ideas do not at all fit the tone of the game. It is a silly farty space game where people literally staple their butts back on after being blown up by a Space Wizard.

Jelly
Insted come up with goofy problems like "Flatinius Clownius"
You have to fart a lot, but your farts are clown honks!
I like the space blindness disease idea that requires you to swap out your eyes. That sounds cool. Also it's sorta a real thing that astronauts experience when high energy particles pass through their eyes and make em see spots or something. But make it progressively get worse and worse until you have the blindness overlay/you eyes fall out or its treated.
(03-19-2024, 04:00 AM)meaow589 Wrote: Doctor is now boring Job because no new disease come up to play with in routine.so here is some idea for the disease which could add
1.Stroke 
 stroke can happen by got hit on the head or have chronic hypertension or accidentally happen in small chance
Symptoms: patient will present with weakness , aphasia 

-Ishecmic stroke cause by thrombus occlusion in small vessel make blood supply decrease to brain 
Treatment : Anticoagulant drug : Heparin 
-Hemorrhagic stroke cause by small vessel is damage and bleeding in skull 
Treatment : Coagulant drug : proconvertin 
2.Infective endocarditis : cause after viral infection small chance to develope this can detect only by stethoscope found murmur 
Symptom: chest pain , dyspnea , fever 
Treatment : in early detect aspirin and antibiotic , in severe stage heart transplant 
3.Chronic kidney disease ; cause by poor diet and other disease like diabetes and hypertension make all chemical can’t clearance
Symptom: pale , hypertension , chronic low back pain 
Treatment : intitial treatment is hemodialysis but still need renal transplant
4.Diabetes melitus : Cause by poor diet control or congenital depend on type this disease can make many complication in other system
Type1 no insulin release from your pancreas 
Symptom: make sugar in bloodstream always high but can’t use it until 
get insulin 
Treatment :intitial treatment is giving insulin but still need pancreas transplant 
Type2 mean insulin resistance your body can’t response for insulin no matter how
Treatment : insulin receptor enchantments medicine like metformin, SGLT2 inhibitor 
5.Diabetes retinopathy 
Cause by poor control DM 
Symptoms : your vision blur and progression until blindness 
Treatment : intitial treatment control diabetes to stop progression and need eye transplant

i get your passion for these kinds of things but if i could make one suggestion it would be:

stray farther away from common real-world conditions and the like. many people play this game to unwind and relax and would not like to be reminded of having diabeetus/having a famuiy member with diabeetus, the pain of seeing a loved one recovering from a stroke and stuff like that. try to think more fantastical
(03-19-2024, 03:46 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: i get your passion for these kinds of things but if i could make one suggestion it would be:

stray farther away from common real-world conditions and the like. many people play this game to unwind and relax and would not like to be reminded of having diabeetus/having a famuiy member with diabeetus, the pain of seeing a loved one recovering from a stroke and stuff like that. try to think more fantastical

Your suggestion is good advice however I think my opinion is opposite from you my reason is this sign and symptom is very serious disease and can happen in everyone in anytime.
There is 2-3 reason for this.
1) Make self awareness for disease and can promote health education in the same time
2) There are many medicine in the game already which I don’t know why we need it for at first like convertin , heparin , and steroid.Even we have it but it very rare to see someone use it. People always go to omnizine , perfluoro , synaptizin because it can cure any disease and damage.my idea is for make some unused medicine become more well known.
3)there is limit disease that happen in only internal organ but anatomical  organ still not have any disease like eye , limb , brain. My idea will encourage people to focus overall body not just use analyses and done.
And TBH the doctor is quite the easiest job depend on other major department like Engineer and research. Make more disease and some way to learn should be good thing I mean it sand box game and I love doctor but when we not have much anything to learn or experiment it quite less attractive now.

And I know many of you think my idea is not good for the game in term of difficulty which effect gameplay so much and I respect that. However these idea is quite useful in real life and should be more consider.
Also thank for discussion with my topic 
(03-19-2024, 03:46 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: i get your passion for these kinds of things but if i could make one suggestion it would be:

(03-20-2024, 03:18 AM)meaow589 Wrote:

Your suggestion is good advice however I think my opinion is opposite from you my reason is this sign and symptom is very serious disease and can happen in everyone in anytime.
There is 2-3 reason for this.
1) Make self awareness for disease and can promote health education in the same time
2) There are many medicine in the game already which I don’t know why we need it for at first like convertin , heparin , and steroid.Even we have it but it very rare to see someone use it. People always go to omnizine , perfluoro , synaptizin because it can cure any disease and damage.my idea is for make some unused medicine become more well known.
3)there is limit disease that happen in only internal organ but anatomical  organ still not have any disease like eye , limb , brain. My idea will encourage people to focus overall body not just use analyses and done.
And TBH the doctor is quite the easiest job depend on other major department like Engineer and research. Make more disease and some way to learn should be good thing I mean it sand box game and I love doctor but when we not have much anything to learn or experiment it quite less attractive now.

And I know many of you think my idea is not good for the game in term of difficulty which effect gameplay so much and I respect that. However these idea is quite useful in real life and should be more consider.
Also thank for discussion with my topic 

I‘m all for more variety in diseases, but as babayetu said, you should try bringing more fantasy into your ideas. Many of your ideas wouldn‘t fit into the game because they, quite frankly, wouldn‘t be very fun. Imagine being a miner, and ~50 minutes into the shift you realize, “Oh, I stubbed my toe and got this disease that will kill me if I don’t spend the next 15 minutes standing in the medbay, missing out on the shift’s events.” See what I mean? Your suggestions are neat in theory, giving doctors more different things to do, but, for example, a disease that makes your arms purple and able to throw things further at the cost of stamina would be more fun.

Edit: Also, SS13 isn’t really an “educational” game.
For diseases, i highly suggest going a bottom-up-approach.

This means getting your mechanics right first and then build the idea. Heck, maybe find something irl that would fit with what you try to accomplish gameplay-wise. But you don't want to do yourself a favor and try to shove something into an ingame disease.

The reason is simple: experience has shown that disease (pathology) are most likely not visible, lowly interactive and hard to control. This means diseases have to be designed woth these problems in mind.

Look at lungrot. The disease started with the idea of "coughing up clouds of miasma". This already covers the visibility. It's designed to be inflicted due to medical misconduct/malpractice (leaving rotting corpses in medbay) or by antags. The disease chem in question shouldn't be easily synthetiseable for scientists and the disease should have a long buildup window, so it is created slowly and only in living bodies.

And at the very last, the name and the fluff. It should make sense why a medical chem interacts with miasma. It attacks the breathing organs, so the lungs are very set. Salbutamol is a perfect candidate here. Ever better, in real life a side-effect for people which use salbutamol exists: if you don't take precautions (like washing your mouth) after taking salbutamol, the chance for mouth thrush exists: a fungus that settles in your mouth. Pretty harmless in real life, so lets push it up to 100 for our little spesmes game: a fungus found in miasma that infects the lung of people with susceptible lungs and replicates endlessly.

If you think about it, it's absolutely fucked up (and deadly fungal infections are a real thing). But it's so exaggerated in its effect that it fits into the game. And the mechanics work ingame, simply because they were there first.

Why am i telling this? Because there goes much thought into an idea until 1. it is able to be put into mechanics, 2. Convinces someone to put actual work into it to implement it and 3. Convinces the devs its a good idea to merge.