Norah Snow's HoS Application
Usual character name: Norah Snow
BYOND username: Angelx3
Discord username (if you are on our discord): shougorori
Recommended by (if applicable): None
Goon servers you play:  Mostly Goon 1 Classic, sometimes Goon 3 Roleplay

Reason for application:

To make shifts more interesting and fun, both for crew and antagonists. From my security experience, playing when a HoS is on often feels more organized and fun, it's really enjoyable to have someone help coordinate everyone and ensure punishments are being handled fairly and also making sure the officers are communicating with one another, since communication is extremely important for security. Being an antagonist when there is a HoS in the shift is interesting because it adds this extra high value target you can try to take down, that's often a harder fight than a regular officer, but if you manage to kill and loot em, you manage to get alot of unique gear that can change the tides of a shift, and overall make it more engaging.

Security experience (300 word minimum):

When I first started playing the game, I was always afraid of trying out security, it seemed like this role that was meant to be very serious, that you aren't allowed to mess up and that you should be very knowledgeable about the game and antagonists, so at first I avoided it a lot. After some time playing and learning the different jobs, I decided to try security assistant to first learn the ropes of the job, I was kindly explained by other officers and HoS's how to use secmate, how to use the brig, the sec vendor and all that important information about security, after learning about the basics, I believed I was ready to play security officer and learn how to use their gear. Actually playing security allowed me to realize that they're not meant to be perfect in any way, you're allowed to make mistakes, it will happen, and you really don't need to know everything. Playing it also allowed me to learn a lot, from how different antagonist items work by fighting them, to overall unique interactions between certain items and chemicals, and I also got to interact with a lot of people and befriend them, I really like security for that social aspect of the role, patrolling around the station and talking with the crew, seeing how they're doing and what not. When I first started as security officer, I used to be a lot more aggressive with punishment, often wanting to execute certain antags from first offense like vampires or changelings, but as I played I learnt that it's important to understand the current vibe of the shift, and that the most important thing is that everyone is able to have fun, both antagonists and crew members alike. It's also very important to communicate as much as possible, not only with your team, but when needed also with crew, since as the wiki page for security itself states, you're not alone in this fight, if a threat is too big to be handled by security, you should also ask for help from the crew itself. It's also important to always remember that security is quite a social role, so make sure to talk to people, interact with others, sometimes just talking out with the crew can help you solve a case, or even just talking to someone who committed a crime can help resolve said crime. To conclude, security is a role that can seem very daunting at first, but it's also a quite fun role that lets you interact with a lot of different people, and also learn a lot, and it's always important for an officer to remember, you are not there to detain every antagonist right off at minute 0, you're there to ensure the balance of the station, this means, not allowing the crew to get completely decimated by the syndicate, but also not allowing crimers to run free, and of course also making sure to punish people who are valid hunting unfairly the antagonists.

Answer two or more of the following:

What advice would you give to other sec players?

I would give two advices, that I judge to be very important, communication is key as security, always communicate, talk to your fellow officers and report everything that seems important over radio, hell maybe even things that seem unimportant could be useful to be reported over radio. Also communicate with the crew as well, as an officer it's very good to be talkative and socialize with the crew, since not only can it help you get key information about crimes and the overall support of the crew, it also helps support the morale.

The second advice, that to be honest is truly the most important advice every security player should hear, is to HAVE FUN. This is a video game, and the most important part of video games is to have fun, don't get too mad if you die or if the shift seems frustrating, remember to take breaks and chill out a bit. Does the current shift feel extremely tiring and frustrating? Maybe cryo for a little, chill down. Also don't worry too much about making mistakes nor about being perfect, no one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes, and at the end of the day we all play space game just to have some fun.

What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)

Recently in classic, I was playing a shift as security officer in cogmap 1, and the only other security member was the Head of Security, there was a vampire going around that already assaulted at least 2 people. I manage to arrest the vampire, and bring them to sec for processing, I do the usual, search for contraband and what not, talk to the criminal, and go to place the bat in the brig, the HoS comes in and also starts interrogating the vampire, and proceeds to set the vampire's timer to 4 minutes. We are aware he can just batform and leave brig, but we also give him a warning that if he does that, we will just increase his times, which then he proceeds to do exactly then, HoS then batons them, throws them into the brig again and increases the timer by 30 seconds, then the vampire and HoS starts bantering a little, but I hear a report over radio of something going on at cargo, believing the HoS would be fine to finish processing the vampire by themselves, I head down to cargo to check what's going on, but as soon as I reach cargo lobby, I get a security alert from the HoS' PDA and AI is screaming about the vampire stunning the HoS, I run back to security office to find them stunned in security's floor, missing their clothes and their lawbringer, and as it turns out, the HoS was not wearing their sechuds, so after I headed out, the vampire broke out from brig using bat form again, stunned them with glare, and robbed them blind. Some more funny moments happened this shift, since the vampire was a fun guy, but I don't want to prolong this story too much. I really like this moment because it showcases that even a head of security can commit mistakes, that even a HoS does not need to be perfect, and that those mistakes can lead to interesting shifts and fun/funny interactions with the antagonists and crew. It also showcases how important using your alert and communication is, since it allowed me to at least ensure the HoS didn't die to the vampire, but only got robbed.

What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?

I believe if the PDA was easier to use, it could help security a lot. Often I fumble when trying to summon the port-a-brig and end up taking way longer than I should. I also end up almost never using the securitron pda controls because of how awkward it is to use the PDA.

Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.

If I'm playing as solo security, I will generally try to be more careful, since there's no backup officers to ask for help, and I also make sure to rely more on the crew, since after all the crew is indeed one of your allies as security officer, I will generally be more tense, but I will also try to maintain my calm, since being too nervous could lead me to making bad choices. Meanwhile, if I'm part of a full security team, I will be a bit more layed back, knowing I have fellow officers to help me out, and also make sure to help them when they need it, having a team allows for a lot more fun gameplay, interacting with them, and is definitely way less anxiety inducing as solo security.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.

What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?

I thought about a clown security gimmick once, all the officers wearing clown outfits, the masks and shoes and what not, and also baking their weapons into pies, thus making pie batons and pie tasers to use as weapons. Also carrying banana peels to slip any crimer, while also cracking very dry unfunny jokes and one-liners during their job, and overall doing silly funny antics.

Draw a picture!

Cat no like syndicate (cat no like banana inspired artwork)

[Image: AJnpHqd.png]

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):

As far as I am aware, I have no previous bans. I might have some warnings, since I have received admins PMs before, but I am almost certain that I have never been banned. Maybe job banned when I first ever played clown, I remember it was donut 3, I couldn't figure out how to leave the asylum shuttle, and because I was too new and anxious instead of asking for help, I suicided, I'm unsure if I actually got temp job banned from clown for that, but despite having it for high priority I couldn't roll it for like a few days.
Throughout the rounds where I’ve been on a sec team with Norah, they have always shown a clear understanding of many key aspects when playing as a security role, such as communication as you stated. I believe you’d be a great fit for a Head of Security. +1 from me.
Always enjoyable to have Norah around on the sec team, and a great presence on Discord as well. Very communicative, patient, and fair to antags. Looking forward to seeing you wear the beret.

+1
Norah is an all-round solid security player, of which I have nothing negative to say. From what I have observed, they treat antags fairly and are active on comms.   bee +1  
Despite only recently coming back from a break from what I'm aware, Norah has established herself as a reliable and consistent Officer on 3. She's often been the only one active on the radio on shifts I've been in, and has been a nice guiding force, too. Can't really see why we couldn't throw a beret her way. +1 from me
Seeing Norah in security often reassures me that security actually knows what they are doing and I love to see them as a fellow secoff, to me it feels like they already play as a HoS should play.
Norah is a good egg in my opinion and seems quite knowledgeable and interactive with others can't say I can recall any moments I've had any doubt in their ability. +1
I've been fortunate enough to have been on the same security team on both Classic and RP. They have a very good feel on the how-to's for both and can very easily fit in on both while still performing very well. One consistent thing I have seen with Norah specifically when I am part of security or an antag on a shift with Norah in security is their judgement and fairness in handling antags. They have a good knowledge on setting the pace of the shift to keep it lively for both security AND antags so that everyone gets to do something.

Norah has my confidence. +1
+1

I think you’re a really fun person to play with. You’re knowledgeable and active in everything security related (brigging, comms, etc.). I’ve seen your comms be more on the leadership side too. I remember one shift when I was playing as security with an officer whose name I didn’t recognize. They were very pleasant to interact with and active, and that person was you when you were random naming.

The only thing I can say otherwise is that I feel as if almost every shift I’ve seen you play as non-Security (usually staff assistant) it seems you’ve had mag boots on (disregarding antagonist rounds). I may be mistaken, as I haven’t played in game/with you a whole lot recently. That’s what I remember though
Norah has been around for a long time and I have seen them improve significantly as a member of the security force, starting from a measly Captain to becoming a robust and a reliable security officer. They are active on communications and very responsive to emergencies. They generally have a good sense of judgement and I have seen them mentor a new security officer once, which was a pleasure to see.

The only problem I've ever had is that you sometimes seem to lose your cool. It's just something to keep in mind since it can get quite frustrating playing HOS so it's important to practice patience. Other than that you're good!

+1  space bear
After noticing this application I decided to keep an eye for Norah and gotta say they're pretty competent and fun enough for the role. Could definitely be HoS.
I've been waiting to post here for a bit to hear some others feedback. After playing with you for a good bit as security and seeing you play officer on shifts I feel it's safe to say you are cut out for a position like HoS. I see security run smoothly when your around without the presence of a HoS and when I HoS when your around you do a great deal to help the team run smoothly, easing the burden. You communicate well, understand the nuances of security, and understand how to engage with antags to make rounds more interesting.

+1 from me.
+1 from me. Great player in general, from what I have seen they're a fair secoff, and also quite robust as well. They have plenty of knowledge of the game, and are probably one of the least toxic or salty players I have seen around. Generally just fun to play with.
Norah is a mature security player from all the rounds I have shared with her! I think she would make a great HoS, considering she doesn't punish antags too harshly or too loosely, and has a great understanding on how to make a round continuously interesting.

+1 from me!