Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.73 Average
Allow disabling the ability to roll sleeper agent.
When I roll sleeper, all I get is a tinge of anxiety and dread.

https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/4927. Was almost three years ago, and regardless of the timing I personally have to disagree on every point made against it.

It's frustrating to get the sudden expectation to drive the round in crime without the time or gear you need to setup such an endeavor. (no, i've never been given a dead drop. and I believe if they're not guaranteed, you still would have horrible sleeper rounds when rng sucks.)

Quote:If someone doesn't want to be an antag, it's specifically stated on the "things to keep in mind" section on the rules page that they can adminhelp it and have it passed off to someone else if they really don't want to play it.

On one hand, I hate sleeper. it's stressful to try and do something meaningful to the round on a whim, with what might be only ten minutes and a toothpick.
But, at the same time, I want to play traitor. I can choose what traitor items i want to play with, and I can set up a meaningful gimmick if I want.
I don't think it's fair to have to choose between what are, mechanically, two different antagonists. If I want to play wizard but not changeling, that's cool. Why not this?

Quote:I really like this I actually do have traitor enabled more for sleeper than I do traitor itself. I never understood why sleeper was locked behind traitor.

And it goes in reverse too -- there's people who want sleeper, but might not want traitor. If this is still attached to traitor preferences, why block that too?

Quote:It exists to allow entirely random people the ability to get creative in their murdering if they so choose, and there is no loss if they just decide they want to grow weed instead.

Isn't the point of sleeper to help keep the round going?
I understand I can just... not do anything, but that just stagnates the round. Sleepers are chosen because the antagonist population is low, among other reasons -- why should it pick candidates who won't want to do anything to pick up the slack? And besides -- there's a certain pressure that at the least *I* experience that makes the idea of doing nothing feel horrible. It's a lose-lose for me right now, and I know others feel this way. Just search "sleeper agent / disable sleeper" on the discord and there's a handful of results.

I know there's plenty of people who would love the opportunity. Why can't I disable it so they can get it instead? Why specifically sleeper agents?
If I'm playing a character that has traitor enabled I always get a little nervous when the sleeper roll comes around. And not in the good way. I totally believe that they could be separate, and I also agree that rolling sleeper agent can be a bit heavy at times. Especially when you *know* they just executed another antag and its like 60 minutes into a round of RP... yeesh. I personally don't mind rolling sleeper as much as I used to with the addition of dead drops, but I still would like to see them be separated.
If you turn on/off the traitor preference in the save slot you're playing mid-round it changes whether or not you're available for sleeper rolls. I use this for when I don't feel like rolling for traitor but wouldn't mind sleeper, or vice versa -- The fact it's already an option if you remember to flip the toggle after you've already joined the round (and know that that's something that works to begin with) does make me feel like it would feel better to just have them be distinct options
I agree, sleeper agent should be an option, though never knew you could just toggle sleeper on/off like that!

Though.. I'm not sure if having it's own separate slot on the list is the best of the best choices. Sure, you'd never get sleeper if you hate it, and real good point. But what about those who situationally like sleeper agent? When you're in science working on goofy chemicals anyways, or just finished powering the engine to kingdom come, or you're the clown, or any number of other supreme opportunities for sleeper CHAOS?

It might be a bit counter-intuative, but I think there could be a pop-up (like what ghosts get) where you can choose to volunteer to be a sleeper or not. Everyone KNOWS there's sleepers on board anyways, so why not? Of course that could pull people from being immersed but would ensure any sleepers aren't just happless fools who were shoved an antag role onto without any non-TC plans.
Agree there is no reason to not have it
I mean you don't have to do anything as a sleeper if you don't want to.
Just ignore it when it happens and go on about your round
(03-10-2024, 05:29 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: I mean you don't have to do anything as a sleeper if you don't want to.

They said they know they can do that but they'd rather have it go to someone willing to play as a sleeper
(03-10-2024, 05:29 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: I mean you don't have to do anything as a sleeper if you don't want to.

I'll just paste the part of the post where I talk about this:
"I understand I can just... not do anything, but that just stagnates the round. Sleepers are chosen because the antagonist population is low, among other reasons -- why should it pick candidates who won't want to do anything to pick up the slack? And besides -- there's a certain pressure that at the least *I* experience that makes the idea of doing nothing feel horrible. It's a lose-lose for me right now, and I know others feel this way. Just search "sleeper agent / disable sleeper" on the discord and there's a handful of results."
I don't mind being a sleeper... but not in the last 5 mins of a shift.
I'd like being able to disable sleeper.
Hmm. Well yeah I suppose if disabling roll for sleeper means it goes to another person that would want to play as sleeper I have no problems with that.
(03-09-2024, 03:30 PM)Meggal Bozale Wrote: And besides -- there's a certain pressure that at the least *I* experience that makes the idea of doing nothing feel horrible.

This sentence really hits the nail on the head for me and perfectly describes how I feel.

I agree completely that there should be an option to disable rolling sleeper.