Complaint Feedback of flappybat (Katzen)
Admin: flappybat (Katzen)

Server: Forums, Goon1

Date(s): 4/1/2023(ish), 11/18/2023, 2/21/2024

Synopsis: In science wing and a traitor (wearing captains uniform) knocked me out. He threw me in a portasci with him, and when we teleported we mindswapped. My old body was in deep crit and he ended up dying. I had no clue that mindswapping was even a thing, and I was left in his body with antag weapons and an unlocked traitor PDA. I tried to ahelp to ask if I was an antag, to no avail. I made a TTV, intending to use it if I was given permission by admins. While walking through the hallways, I fell into a crusher teletrap (trap itself was on a corner of the map in disposals with one person actively being killed by the trap alongside me and several dead), where seemingly dozens of people had been killed. I decided to detonate the TTV, killing myself and destroying the teletrap. No other crewmates were killed, and shuttle left shortly after without the hole being fixed. I stuck around after the round in case an admin wanted to speak to me, but left when the new round started since I figured that was it. I also discussed this post round with other people, both in ooc in-game chat and post round discussions on the discord server.

I logged in soon after with a perm ban: TTVing disposals as non-antag. You have three years of self antagging and are job banned from science for self antag bombing as well as a job ban from security. You have had way too many warnings and punishments.

In the first appeal (November) I tried to highlight the fact that I truly had no idea what had happened during the mindswap, because I didn't. Katzen (flappybat) stated: "No I don't think so after six months. 'I only blew up one person and took out a teletrap' is a really weak justification for someone who got job banned for self antagging with bombs and job banned from sec. You had a lot less notes in 2023 than 2022 and 2021 but were still causing issues and have been noted and banned a LOT." 

This is true. When I first began playing, it was my first real introduction to a game like this. I didn't understand the social contract that went in to it, and predictably I broke a lot of rules early on. As time went on, my behavior got better. By the time of the ban, I had not had to appeal a ban in over 2 years. I admittedly had a few run ins with admins who requested me to stop doing something, and I did catch job bans for security and science for reckless behavior, but nothing even remotely as serious as my only previous perma.

In my most recent appeal I had a lot more time to reflect on the situation. I recognized that despite the fact that I ultimately didn't kill anyone who was already going to die, I negatively impacted the round overall. I broke the rules and in doing so ruined the efforts of a traitor. I would be pissed if I was a traitor, and someone did the same thing to my teletrap outside the bounds of the ruleset. That being said, mindswapping is a gimmick. The whole point is to essentially troll the parties involved. It has an extremely low chance of happening, and there needs to be some level of acknowledgement that a lot of players would also unknowingly act outside of the rules in that scenario.  I understand catching a temporary or appealable ban for it, but at the same time I really don't think this is a situation which indicates a relapse in my gameplay. I don't think it warrants a permanent ban without chance of appeal. Katzen/flappybat replied saying that I have too extensive of a history for them to grant the appeal.

I was a shithead in the past. I have been on this server since 2020 and have had multiple run ins with admins in my time playing. Each time, I have refined the way I play to try to avoid repeating those mistakes. I know that you have no obligation to grant my appeal. I know that every player making a ban appeal talks about how they have changed and how they have reflected on the situation and are better for it. I also know that I have a documented and proved track record of actually changing for the better during my time here on goonstation. I also know that if it was a player without an extensive history, you could have written it off as an honest mistake. Because that's what it was. I was genuinely and understandably convinced I could have taken the traitor's place as an antagonist. I shouldn't have made a TTV without admins clearing up the situation with me first, though. I also shouldn't have detonated the teletrap with it. Doing damage to the station--especially at that scale, regardless of lethality or reason, is inexcusable for a civilian role.

Extra information: I don't want their behavior reviewed seeing as Katzen has mostly been a very fair admin and they are simply using their judgement, I just want some level of acknowledgment to my comments instead of ghosting the thread again and making me wait another month for an appeal. I simply want to know what, if anything, I can do to prove that I am no longer a risk of self-antagging. I have made no ban subversion attempts.

I previously posted this in a private thread where only admins could view it. The post got 24 views and no responses after two and a half weeks.
This is all my opinion.

Generally I feel the involved admin should not necessarily make any response to a feedback post. The main point is that other members of the team should read, investigate and decide if to take action. We don't have procedures about how feedback or appeals should be handled by admins, there is no feedback admin or team. Replying is very likely to start a debate or argument as these are posts where there is going to be disagreement/strong opinion, which is a lot to sign yourself up to. We are all volunteers so if the feedback does not seem to be major (this is after all a ban appeal) it's not going to jump out at anyone as a priority.
yeah I just took a look at your note history. i also do not want you unbanned.
(03-07-2024, 11:24 AM)Katzen Wrote: This is all my opinion.

Generally I feel the involved admin should not necessarily make any response to a feedback post. The main point is that other members of the team should read, investigate and decide if to take action. We don't have procedures about how feedback or appeals should be handled by admins, there is no feedback admin or team. Replying is very likely to start a debate or argument as these are posts where there is going to be disagreement/strong opinion, which is a lot to sign yourself up to. We are all volunteers so if the feedback does not seem to be major (this is after all a ban appeal) it's not going to jump out at anyone as a priority.

This is completely understandable, but I wasn't ever trying to be argumentative. That being said, I don't see how the chance of an argument should shut down any chances for discussion. I appreciate all of the work you guys put into making this server great. If there really is nothing I can do, that's understandable.

As to the reply you posted into the other thread, I know that this isn't just about this one specific instance, it was just the instance that led to your decision to ban me. While it was a rule break, it was clearly unintentional and ultimately didn't affect the round too much. I was on the way to shuttle, it destroyed a teletrap that was actively killing me, the only other person it killed was already being crushed to death. I'm not justifying or defending what I did, just explaining the logic behind it when I wasn't entirely sure what the rules are. Again, if I didn't have a history, this could easily be chalked up to a stupid yet understandable unlikely mistake. It honestly just felt like you used this instance as an excuse to ban me for my past actions which I had already been punished for. I wish you would call a spade a spade. It would be different if I could have known better or if I spoke to admins and went against their word, but it really was a genuine and relatively minor mistake in the grand scheme of the round. It was wrong, but it wouldn't have been reasonable to perma-ban someone else for the same thing without chance for appeal.

I personally feel like the situation could have been handled better from the get-go on both sides, though. I got salty and refused to appeal the ban until like 6 months later. If I would have appealed the ban the month after, it would've saved a lot of heartache with combing through ancient logs. Obviously there wasn't any active staff on at the time of this round, but I am aware that when something catastrophic and potentially rule breaking happens on station, often times the admins active on other servers get pinged (not sure exactly how it works). I stuck around waiting to talk to someone about what happened, and nobody came. If you knew you weren't going to unban me ever, I wish you would have told me that back during my first appeal.

Again, the reason why I have been so persistent with this is that I genuinely want to play on this server again. I know it's held to a higher standard and offers more of a safe space from hate or bigotry compared to other servers on BYOND, which is something that really makes it appeal to me. I have made a clear effort to play better, but I should have respected admins and the rules more when I first started playing. If this was it, so be it. I made some mistakes but I had some fun rounds along the way and I hope I added to other player's experiences. If you're okay with me applying down the line, just let me know and I'll gladly do so.

I didn't mean to make a whole hubbub about this, I just wanted to get some answers. Thanks for your prompt response.

Jordan

(03-07-2024, 01:58 PM)Cal Wrote: yeah I just took a look at your note history. i also do not want you unbanned.

Fair enough, it's been a pleasure. Sorry to make a big deal out of this. Thanks for all you do for the server.