Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
MMO-Like Seasonal/Holiday Events, otherwise known as "FOMO"
an idea i had. perhaps ive been playing too much wow, xiv, overwatch or most any game these days that has events designed to sink their claws into people. they're usually pretty sinister with how they do it but unlike those games there's no concern about monetization, player counts and figures and all of that nonsense 

so to begin i'll cover a few topics such as what i even mean or would want to see from this and also how i  think they would be best implemented.

1) What do I even mean by "MMO-Like Seasonal/Holiday/FOMO Events"?

essentially these are time limited events have some kind of fun reward tied in for completing them. typically cosmetics and things of that nature. they may be cycled in and out as needed, or brought back yearly with new/different/the same rewards. 

2) What would you even have to do???

another toughie. especially since you have to consider on roleplay that you don't want people just focus on getting their rewards rather than play like they're meant to. i think one way around this problem would be to possibly have progress tied to job objectives. do your job, make progress, bing boom bam. but perhaps there could be other things to encourage showing the more obscure and weird stuff like telescience areas, or even going about to trigger a disaster round. perhaps on classic the objectives could be a little more free-form since classic is classic and all that. mentors have perms to plan and then run events once they're approved so perhaps this could be an avenue worth considering.

3) The dreaded "FOMO" and how to counter it

the dreaded fomo. the fear of missing out. i absolutely hate it. but there could be a few ways to circumvent it. like mentioned above, the events could be re-ran at the admin's discretion. they could be loosely scheduled at certain times. there could even be a spacebux purchase that would allow you to progress on your own terms at an xyz date after the event concludes. i understand not everybody would want to feel pressured to log in and play, and people have commitments that wouldn't allow them to play during xyz time. that's fair. ideally there should be a way for everybody to experience it for themselves.

4) What would I get for participating???

mostly just cosmetic rewards and things of that nature. jumpsuit skins, gear reskins, etc. only issue is that this would rely on the kindness and generosity of spriters to create new assets for these, or possibly repurpose the deluge of assets that might have been long since dummied out or removed or had just never been implemented.

with these covered i think it would be a snap to implement events that are player friendly, don't disrupt the main gameplay loop
Neat idea, but I really don't think this game benefits from cosmetic unlocks in general and event limited ones would just be even worse.
ive been playing mmos nonstop ever since i was like 12 and i have to say, event rewards that you miss out on if you werent there suck so bad. but the best way ive seen an mmo do it is old school runescape, where its just a fun little treat to take like 10 mins to do and once you completed your Holiday Mission then you get all the new cosmetics they added for that event, and on top of that you get ALL of the previous rewards they gave as well

additionally, in mmos, holiday rewards tend to always be on the side of "things any player can do in a relatively short amount of time" due to the nature of not everyone having a lot of free time to get all the fancy new things. having a requirement be something like triggering disaster would very much be just for a tiny portion of the playerbase because you have to be there at the right time, have the right people, and not be out with your family during the holiday. (it would also become kinda circlejerk-y if you could only get those during a single year and they never come back. and this part is less likely, but people might even start account selling if they have that rare stuff lmao)

imo if u wanted to do something like this, the best idea would just be giving redeemable cosmetic rewards for the seasonal medals. adding more seasonal medals or even seasonal objectives could also be cute, but NOTHING LIMITED TO THAT ONE YEAR ONLY that would be a huge mistake
For me the fomo isn't the unlocks but missing out on having fun with friends.