HOS Application - Terry Jr.
Usual character name: Terry Jr., Terry Jerry, Terry Sr. 
BYOND username:Thimble01
Discord username (if you are on our discord): thimble01
Recommended by (if applicable):
Goon servers you play: 3 Morty

Reason for application: 
The Head of Security is more than just a leader of security, the teach and guide anyone under their wing. They lead by example and can effectively change the course of a round.
Being the leader of security is a massive role to take on. It requires immense mental strength and patience to get through rounds and especially with tricky antagonists.
The HOS needs to be able to RP with antagonists effectively, otherwise there is no point. 
I believe that I would be good for the role of Head of Security as I believe I have those qualities.

Security experience (300 word minimum):
I started playing Goonstation in 2022, but only started playing security a few months afterwards. I came into security not knowing a thing, feeling overwhelmed by everything going and and not know what a 'SecMate' is or a 'Barrier'.  Luckily, there were plenty officers and Heads of Security being more than willing to help me. Over the next few weeks, I felt I was ready to take the mantle of Security Officer. I felt overwhelmed, again, because of the new 'toys' I got to use. I initially hardly used any of my tools as I didn't want to feel like I was abusing them and ruining the other players fun. Again, over the next few weeks I felt more and more comfortable to use my tools and eventually made my first arrest against an antagonist. I felt overjoyed. Being finally able to do what I was supposed to was a massive stepping stone for me. I felt like I could do anything, which then lead to me being silly and getting myself killed because I went in head-first to any situation without letting anyone know. Looking back, I feel like that had impacted the round as whoever killed me now had access to my gear which is very powerful in the right hands. I believe now that I go into situation with a bit more sense and ask for help and now let people know where I am going. There has been many players who have helped me to hone my craft and I believe have improved my game just by playing it. Recently, I believe that I have improved my communication and leadership of security when there is not a HOS present. I now sit less idle and have become more involved in the round as before I would just sit in MainSec mainly and just get out to help people that have called for us, which is usually too late at that point.

A Head of Security is expected to be able to RP with antagonists and go along with their gimmicks and know when to put their foot down and stop them. 

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?

Do not sleep on the barrier!! It is one of the most useful tools you can have beside your handcuffs. It can deflect most bullets right back at the shooter when using its special ability or just block of a doorway if you need some privacy when dealing with an issue. Plus, it works as a very effective shield as it lowers melee damage to you by 9, and kinetic projectile damage is reduced by 60%. This means it can be a literal life-saver in many situations.

Please just ask question if you need any help - there is no shame in it. Asking question and getting a correct answer is much better for you learning and improves your game experience as you now know what to do and shouldn't need to ask again. Even if you do need to ask again, there is no issue in it.

MISTAKES ARE GOING TO HAPPEN! Please, don't feel sad or disheartened if you make a mistake as it is a major part of learning. I don't care, in the nicest way possible, if you make mistakes as they are going to happen and I KNOW I have made SO many mistakes in my time playing SS13. So, don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone and try new things.
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
  • More options for flagging crewmembers who need to be arrested/talked to/ ticketed/ etc. - This would make it way more effective to get the right person for the right thing and not mix up crimes with crew, because I know I have done that before. There could also be a priority system with a little number next to the flag so you know who you should target first and what could be left for later.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.

Syndicate says ,"You are the worst."

NanoTrasen says ,"You are the best!"

I say "I am confused..."

What even is truth?

Not the Syndicate, I know that!

[*]What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?

Undercover Day - Everybody has to go 'undercover' if they want to. They can get 'jobs' in other departments and try to get any dirt on crew and report it. They would have very obviously fake names and be suspicious during their time and write down when anything happens relatively obviously. At a certain time, everything would be revealed and tickets would be handed out accordingly.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None, but some warnings.

This was posted twice by mistake and I cannot figure out how to delete it, apologies.
I've seen you in Security, you know your stuff, you're fun to play with/aganist and I've seen you play Security with no legs willingly so I'm also confident you can manage yourself when given access to stuff like the Armoury! That's good! Just have to see you lead and teach some before I can give a full recommendation, but right now, it's looking good. Keep it up and I'm sure I'll be replying again with a full +1
(02-27-2024, 04:48 AM)444explorer Wrote: I've seen you in Security, you know your stuff, you're fun to play with/aganist and I've seen you play Security with no legs willingly so I'm also confident you can manage yourself when given access to stuff like the Armoury! That's good! Just have to see you lead and teach some before I can give a full recommendation, but right now, it's looking good. Keep it up and I'm sure I'll be replying again with a full +1

Alright, that's something I can do. Thanks for the feedback!