Benjamin Sisko HoS App II
Usual character name: Benjamin Sisko, Low Tier Borg
BYOND username: babayetu83
Discord username (if you are on our discord): grinkdaboy
Recommended by (if applicable): n/a
Goon servers you play: Goon 3

Reason for application: I enjoy playing both Head of Security and NTSC when available on Fridays. I'm applying because I would like to have access to these jobs full-time rather than just 1 day per week.

Security experience (300 word minimum): I've been playing on Goon for quite some time. I never really liked Security back then, because to me it seemed like the job was centered around waiting for things to happen. And when there were things happening, it just felt like you were supposed to be the fun police. I hated it so much that I had requested a job ban from security (before you could set a job to unwanted). But since I’ve started playing goon again in the past few years I’ve taken a real liking to security. I used to be more of a classic fan, but I’ve grown to play exclusively on RP. Security on classic is more fast paced given the shorter round times but lacks much of the texture you’ll find on RP. I really enjoy all the smaller interactions that occur on RP. The crosstalk over comms with your fellow officers, listening to the guy you just arrested and hauled to the brig rant and rave about a series of small slights that blew up into a physical altercation. I love all those kinds of interactions you get to have as security. I think that’s one of the big reasons I enjoy security. It’s one of the most people-oriented jobs, even if you’re having a slow round with a low server pop or people aren’t really doing much.

Security being a people-oriented job is an important thing to factor into your interactions as well. It’s very easy for an individual to have a bad experience with security due to thoughtlessness like being detained for a period longer than 5 minutes (unless it’s an active interrogation, even then it’s important to be expedient). I try to make sure people aren’t stuck in the brig longer than they need to be, and likewise try not to rigidly enforce ‘space law’. For every antag that swears up and down they won’t do anything bad only to go and do it anyway, it’s worth it for those few times where they *actually* act like a productive member of the crew.  That also sometimes leads to those rare situations where a vampire or an arcfiend shows up and backs you up in a fight against something bad. Finally, it’s important to communicate with and support your fellow officers. Paying attention and remembering when so-and-so says, “hey I’m going to x” and then you get a PDA alert then it spares you the trouble of having to ask “where!” when they’re unable to respond or going to grab their pin pointer. It’s also nice to have someone say “hey, good job on doing x task…” since it’s always nice to have your effort be acknowledged.

I’ll admit though one of my shortcomings is the whole ‘teaching rookie sec assistants/officers’ and I’ve been trying to work on that. Generally, I ask over sec comms (regardless of if I’m playing hos/ntsc already) if anybody wants to practice any of their security techniques or have anything they’d like to brush up on. While I’ve yet to have any takers to this, I feel that as someone who’s already a mentor I would be skilled at this.

Answer two or more of the following:
What advice would you give to other sec players?
While patrolling, it’s always worth taking a moment to chat somebody up. Doesn’t have to be something long and in depth, but I feel like people are generally a bit more chill when they know there’s people out there that took the time to speak to them and know there’s people who care. Likewise, it might put antags on their toes since they know there’s a security presence.
Don’t be afraid to be the “bad” guy! Sometimes you’re put in the position where you must stop someone else’s fun. Sometimes you’ll be ordered by the HoS to assist in or perform an execution on a criminal.  Sometimes that’ll be a friend of yours. It might make you feel bad that you’ve ruined your bud’s time, but I think friction leads to more exciting encounters. Maybe through some fluke they survive their execution and come seeking revenge.

What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
Something that would certainly smooth out and streamline part of the security gameplay loop would be to allow your data disk to be slotted inside of your pinpointer. It’s trivial in the grand scheme of things to go and label your pinpointer, but I think it’s a small change that could be nice.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
Sting operations. I think it would be extremely amusing if you could have officers go undercover more easily, which I feel is generally more difficult. Mindhacking security has been made much more difficult, and while I don’t think that functionality should be removed I do think there should be a way to more easily “fake” being mindhacked or something like that.
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): yes
Fun person to have in Security, knows their stuff and I've seen you be a decent leader with a good grasp on things. You do admit that you need to work on teaching Security, I agree, you do - but with access to HoS on Friday you'll probably find one or two people to teach and show people you got it down. Just gotta see that. Consider this like.. a +0.75? Something odd and a little vague like that. I think you can make a good full time HoS, I just need to see that last little bit of teaching to go 'Oh, for sure'! I believe in you!
(02-27-2024, 04:45 AM)444explorer Wrote: Fun person to have in Security, knows their stuff and I've seen you be a decent leader with a good grasp on things. You do admit that you need to work on teaching Security, I agree, you do - but with access to HoS on Friday you'll probably find one or two people to teach and show people you got it down. Just gotta see that. Consider this like.. a +0.75? Something odd and a little vague like that. I think you can make a good full time HoS, I just need to see that last little bit of teaching to go 'Oh, for sure'! I believe in you!

kinda the problem i'm having is that it just feels kinda awkward going up to people and asking/checking in if they're newer or inexperienced. i usually get no response. sometimes people'll agree to shadow me but they tend not to ask questions despite my offering. maybe i'm trying too hard
(03-01-2024, 02:39 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: kinda the problem i'm having is that it just feels kinda awkward going up to people and asking/checking in if they're newer or inexperienced. i usually get no response. sometimes people'll agree to shadow me but they tend not to ask questions despite my offering. maybe i'm trying too hard

I'm not usually on during the same hours as Sisko is, but I have been on few teams where they have HoSed and been a regular officer so my view point may bit slightly limited. The big things I saw during the HoS rounds were communication and being fun to deal with as antag and to work with as a security member. Having that experience in leading already as a mentor on Fridays has shown through during those rounds too. As an officer, they're attentive and communicative still.

As for teaching, that is the one section I haven't seen personally. Though I admit it is likely due to me being out and about patrolling during mutual security rounds. I do have some advice on teaching security members: it may be awkward to ask repeatedly near the beginning of each round, but even a quick conversation is good and generally it will become less awkward feeling over time.