Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Improvements for secbots
Secbots (the beepsky kind, not the guardbuddy kind) are, in my opinion, pretty noticibly old and a bit clunky in some ways. We were chatting about it in the discord's RP channel, so I've put my thoughts into a suggestion post to see if anyone else has ideas.

My thoughts are:
  • Better indication of damage dealt. Could include some damage states, and bullets that hit them shouldn't pass overhead.
  • Nerf beepsky specifically. It doesn't have to be massive, I just think his faster speed can almost appear instant on higher ping.
  • Remove the cargo bot crate and make bot construction something you need robotics equipment for, and not QM stuff. I think making bots should exclusively be a robotics thing, and the amount of secbots you can get by way of cargo is nutty.
  • Make the no-patrol option not sit still and instead patrol within the immediate department.
  • Main point of discussion in the discord, give secbots a warmup to going arrest mode. They could perhaps harass or point at antags for a little while before going full arrest on them.
(02-17-2024, 04:46 AM)CalliopeSoups Wrote:
  • Better indication of damage dealt. Could include some damage states, and bullets that hit them shouldn't pass overhead.
  • Nerf beepsky specifically. It doesn't have to be massive, I just think his faster speed can almost appear instant on higher ping.
  • Remove the cargo bot crate and make bot construction something you need robotics equipment for, and not QM stuff. I think making bots should exclusively be a robotics thing, and the amount of secbots you can get by way of cargo is nutty.
  • Make the no-patrol option not sit still and instead patrol within the immediate department.
  • Main point of discussion in the discord, give secbots a warmup to going arrest mode. They could perhaps harass or point at antags for a little while before going full arrest on them.

1: Good idea if you can sprite em.
2: Beepsky is ment to be the worst of the bots. Nerfing his speed is fine, but then buff his stamina damage.
3: Not sure on this one, if you want something like this to be robotics only.... removing it feels like a silly idea. Robotics just needs reworking 1st.
4: I like the idea to have the beepskies guard a department for a while.
5: A warm-up is fine by me. But doing this + the beepsky nerf makes you 100% sure that people will run away. it's quite easy to shake a beepsky or trap one.

In my opinion... beepskies should also need to have a battery charge that can run out. And if they are low, they will ignore anything to go charge safely within the security department. And naturally the more the beepsky has to chase and charge their baton, the more the battery drains.
If this ain't possible then simply making them able to slip would be a fun thing too. It won't damage them, but it will throw em off course heavily.
Make it so they don't attack secoffs if a taser is shot near them
i dunno, beepsky should be threatening. if you dont wanna get owned by beepsky then think ahead and work around it
Iirc you can actually have securitrons guard an area and they will patrol around that area, but rather than a department or room, it's a square centered on where you ordered them to do so, so they could end up opening the door to patrol the hallway outside if you put it too close. They will still chase those in their vision though even if outside their square.
Make pointing at a securitron(or all botS) when you are within 2 tiles and not set to arrest make them hold position for 5 seconds to allow accessing their bot menus without them wandering outside the 1 tile interact limit and cancelling your menu
(02-18-2024, 09:25 AM)NOOT Wrote: Make pointing at a securitron(or all botS) when you are within 2 tiles and not set to arrest make them hold position for 5 seconds to allow accessing their bot menus without them wandering outside the 1 tile interact limit and cancelling your menu
If possible make it check for security access so it ignores non security personnel pointing at them
(02-18-2024, 09:25 AM)NOOT Wrote: Make pointing at a securitron(or all botS) when you are within 2 tiles and not set to arrest make them hold position for 5 seconds to allow accessing their bot menus without them wandering outside the 1 tile interact limit and cancelling your menu

Security whistles already offer that functionality to securitrons specifically!
You can allready set them t9 patrol departments.

Also the thing is i don't really see any practical benefit to restricting ordering them.

Instead you can make them come in their own crate that is sec locked.
(02-23-2024, 03:29 PM)Silent Majority Wrote: You can allready set them t9 patrol departments.

Also the thing is i don't really see any practical benefit to restricting ordering them.

Instead you can make them come in their own crate that is sec locked.

That brought a really funny image in my head, ordering some of those crates and whipping out some contraband, and all the crates shake violentlly as the securitrons are desperate to get out and ARREST THE CRIMINAL