Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Suggestions: Lings SM Sting replaced with Self DNA scramble
Hiyo!

To be honest, the lings SM sting is of such dubious and minimal use that it basically doesn't ever get used other then as a mild annoying thing. WHile of course that creates opportunities, its also trivial to MAKE sm do that without spendfing powers and things to ALSO leave your victim behind.

I think lings should, instead, have the ability to, for 5 dna, say, scramble their apperance and name like a dna scrambler.

Lings are supposed to be the masters of stealth and disguise. I feel like them altering their appearance to appear nondescript fits thematically, and would add interesting elements to both rp and classic, because every kill a ling would have the option of completely changing who they are and what they look like and trying to melt out of being noticed.

This would cause people to have to hunt down and target unknowns more, which would also, lead to more forced blood testings, which could encourage paranoia and make people uncomfortable about unknowns walking around in gas masks, which they SHOULD be leary of anyway.

Just an idea! would love feedback.
I like this idea
I think it would work well and be in theme with changeling flavor in general
I like this idea, although I’m not too sure about the 5 DNA cost. This ability would be needed the most when you are at 0 DNA as you likely don’t have any other identities to transform into yet. Perhaps make it cost 0 DNA at first and then have the cost increase the more you use it.
I love this idea!
I think this is an interesting idea, but I wonder about the ramifications for people who use random character names or aren't well known on the server compared to, say, someone who's name and appearance are very distinct. Only the former would be suspected of potentially being a ling in the context of the dna scramble.

That being said, I suppose this is already a problem with ling because copying the latter group's mannerisms is much harder to do without raising suspicions, so I guess it wouldn't really worsen anything. Just some thoughts
if i can't turn the station into shitty bill con '52 what's even the point of eating people
(02-08-2024, 06:17 AM)cyberTripping Wrote: I think this is an interesting idea, but I wonder about the ramifications for people who use random character names or aren't well known on the server compared to, say, someone who's name and appearance are very distinct. Only the former would be suspected of potentially being a ling in the context of the dna scramble.

That being said, I suppose this is already a problem with ling because copying the latter group's mannerisms is much harder to do without raising suspicions, so I guess it wouldn't really worsen anything. Just some thoughts
The issue is no id. You can get away with that ince or twice,  and get new ids. But gettiny clothes and ids and all.that will get rapidly notable.

Or how everytine someone dies a random name with no records shows up in their department. 

Also random name+stow away is a pretty weird combo..and allready looks like a salvager

(02-07-2024, 04:23 PM)Snowy Wrote: I like this idea, although I’m not too sure about the 5 DNA cost. This ability would be needed the most when you are at 0 DNA as you likely don’t have any other identities to transform into yet. Perhaps make it cost 0 DNA at first and then have the cost increase the more you use it.

A cost prevente them from spamming it to be untraceable entirely. It feels loke an emergency move not a freebie
For a concept of a being that goes all they way out to impersonate other people, being able to get a random human form on a whim feels simply wrong.
i never really got why it isnt used. like if you're compromised as a ling its so easy to just... make someone else into you and have them take the fall, surely.
because they always have all their own identificiation and prints and stuff. also blood tests
(02-08-2024, 05:48 PM)TDHooligan Wrote: i never really got why it isnt used. like if you're compromised as a ling its so easy to just... make someone else into you and have them take the fall, surely.

This is the intended methode, but to do it succesfully you need to knock them out, take their stuff and dress them up as you to make it convincing. (as Silent Majority says)

Sure you are suppose to think: "This is the ling's new idenity or they are about to change or nice try ling"
But more often then not... one blood test later reveals they ain't it.
So taking the fall isn't as convincing as the player can just say: "TEST MY BLOOD!"

So the DNA cost is already not good. But if the ling knocks em out then spends DNA to make them like them, give them the clothes and ID of their idenity and also put in "fake blood that is ling blood" then suddenly you have a reason to use it as a patsy.

Otherwise it's kinda worthless and if you knock out a player, you rather kill em for DNA, but to set up a patsy? Gimme that shizzle.

The only moments I see it used is in RP as a gimmick like the ole: "Shitty bill epidemic" or "ONE OF US, ONE OF US"
But never to throw someone off the ling's scent, since that DNA is better spend on fighting , healing or spawning a minion.
(02-08-2024, 05:49 PM)Silent Majority Wrote: because they always have all their own identificiation and prints and stuff. also blood tests

yea good point. still a time waster i guess. wouldnt the same apply to you once you self scramble
(02-09-2024, 05:51 AM)TDHooligan Wrote:
(02-08-2024, 05:49 PM)Silent Majority Wrote: because they always have all their own identificiation and prints and stuff. also blood tests

yea good point. still a time waster i guess. wouldnt the same apply to you once you self scramble

You can toss it away, wear a simple staff assistant robe and pretend you are a "Stowaway"
Since they don't give alerts either.

If anything it would throw them off longer then someone screaming: "I just transformed into someone else"

Let alone the DNA sting costs you DNA as well as you having to change charaters to throw off the scent.
Wich is either a previous victim who might have already been reported dead... so not only did you waste DNA to setup a patsy, but also took on another idenity that might actually be just as disadvantagous.

So changing into a rando with no one knowing who they are in a meta sense throws them off much longer. Since insted of a list of "previous victims" now the ling is someone who's not even on the list wich takes more time.
Yeah, the idea would be that it could create a fear of people refusing to show who they are.

People wandering around without ids should be a.very suspicious thing.

It also means a ling could mix the two, take on older rolls, take on mixed rolls.

Give itself a use.for its dna.more.then fighting. Up the stealth