Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Commercial vendor/interlink for chem
Aside from the interlink used to send free supplies to medbay, chemistry could have a seperate one that sends chems to a vendor in front of science to sell them for a custom price, similarly to the gene booth. I think this would both encourage scienctists to make fun chems the crew would be interested in, and give them a convenient way of presenting said chems to the crew (while also making some money)
I think the idea has virtues on its own, but this type of thing is already possible with constructed vending machines; Because of that, the value judgement for this suggestion comes to "is the convenience of having a delivery chute to a vending machine worth the space it'd take up in the chemlab?" And my answer is no, personally. However, if this had inventory management like the RockBox does, it could double as a storage space for precursors-- meaning it could replace (and improve upon!) the chemical storage locker. But if it stays in the original scope, I don't think it'd be a positive change.

Another thing to add is that Chemistry is already a nightmare to repair if the floor explodes, because there's layers upon layers of chutes (trash,mail,interlink). Adding a fourth could be a massive headache for Engineering
After some thought, honestly you could go with those vending machines (as clunky as they are to restock) or you can just try to get the word out with signs, glass cases, and other things and personally hand chems to people.

I'd rather have the custom vending machines get some kinda rework to be more user friendly (restock without needing to stop others from using it, inability to throw IDs in there, maybe even a ranged restock, stuff like that) so more than just science can get in on the sales.
could be interesting as a sci-specific vendor which can be stocked with chems and artifacts (including large ones maybe) and outputs into a science budget that can be used to order stuff (maybe intermediate chems and artifacts) which would then arrive at QM
(sci can already technically do something like this by fulfilling chem requisitions and selling artifacts but honestly i think this is more interesting as it keeps the chems and artifacts on-station for use)
(01-26-2024, 06:40 PM)Dhaidburt Wrote: After some thought, honestly you could go with those vending machines (as clunky as they are to restock) or you can just try to get the word out with signs, glass cases, and other things and personally hand chems to people.

I'd rather have the custom vending machines get some kinda rework to be more user friendly (restock without needing to stop others from using it, inability to throw IDs in there, maybe even a ranged restock, stuff like that) so more than just science can get in on the sales.

A little known fact about the player vendor is that it can be restocked using pipes.
Of course this requires some preparation work - laying pipes - but it is already possible.
honestly someone should just do a pass over the custom vending machine QoL. make them easier to build and refill. it sucks so hard to use them rn