Rai Banks HoS Application
Usual character name: Rai Banks
BYOND username: RoyalPes
Discord username: RoyalPes
Goon servers you play: 3, on rare occasion 1

Reason for application:
Typically, when I play sec, its preferably detective because in a way it gives more freedom as to how you act, as in a way you are in between officer and assistant, as I see it you assist in investigation rather than entirely arresting someone, considering through a lot of my time I have come to realise not having a stun baton when arresting someone is slightly difficult.
Where I am going with this, I like the investigative procedure, rather than the chasing after someone, be it the tracker rather the hunter, by this I mean I like it when evidence comes together, and I want to be in a role where I can encourage others to do the same if they don’t, as most times it’s a single scanner report that can lock someone up, rather than someone making an entire evidence box against them, which then also helps with dictating executions or exiles. And at the same time would further encourage antags to hide their evidence if it became more of a standard.
I also believe I have enough time in sec that I can show a newer person at least the basics of security.

Security experience (300 word minimum):
I do not remember my first time as sec; I more remember bits and pieces of previous work

I think the first time I would have gone as a security officer might have been when I was testing each role to see what fit me best or what was more interesting. I believe I was lucky enough to have a HoS during that shift, who took the time to show me the ropes, as to which HoS it was, I don’t remember, but they were a lizard. During that shift there was a bomb threat, with the bomber being sat in security basically demanding the HoS’ limbs or they would blow the bomb, so HoS conceded and let me follow them down to medbay with a briefcase, of which I was told to run back with the limbs in the case, to trade em over. As HoS was being wheeled in on a wheelchair, after I passed the case over, the bomber started listing off locations, and HoS was sending individual sec to go find it.
I went to find one in medbay, which didn’t exist, so I started to believe that it was a lie, so as they were beginning their ending speech I suppose, I ran in and stun batoned them down, which they then weren’t able to detonate anything. After the whole situation I think I remember the HoS saying something similar along the lines of that I would be a good sec.
After that I have had a number of officer rounds ending well or not, but it has been an experience either way dealing with all the RP antags.
As for experience as a Detective, if I remember it was a, possibly server 1 round, or 3, I am not entirely sure. But besides it was just me the detective and a HoS’ Surprisingly not much crime til later, when a vampire was becoming more noticeable, which was then found hiding at the radio station. When I arrived, there was a lot of blood and I think a dead body, so I got to my evidence collecting, being print outs, and photos of important parts of the crime scene. Which I then brought back to security to show the HoS. Although later I did get overpowered by the vampire and the ability to jump right back up, and watched as the HoS was exploring everywhere but that one janitorial room where the coffin was.
Besides all that, I have had a lot of experience with investigating as detective. And it is my favourite part when evidence starts stringing together.

Answer two or more of the following:

•             What advice would you give to other sec players?
You are most definitely going to die and or “lose” a lot, but it becomes a learning experience on how to improve. Don’t do what I do and get a bit annoyed when things don’t go how you planned it to. For example just now as im in the middle of writing and playing a round, nearly all of sec got shotgunned down, and the perpetrator did escape, but we managed to turn it around, thanks to pure luck, as nearly got spaced with Butter Scotch, but they were able to get back up and stun em down.

•             What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
New classification – being a kinetic weapon rather than a laser-based weapon I suppose, just as it makes it similar to the sancai wave gun, being more gimmicky.
It being one of those shotguns, but the barrels are vertical, just so it distinguishes itself from other shotguns (or it could be one of those super shorty ones, with the grip and no buttstock with a small barrel, to make it more police like), but as it is a shotgun you have to open to fire, make it use slugs instead, as in most cases without HoS support, you would run out of that kind of ammo, either there be a new crate as a resupply for the gun and other purposes, that contains some of the shotgun ammo, and just being picky if there were new shells, such as dragons breath rounds, or smoke rounds that just explode into smoke on your position when firing. And if not, the crate then probably giving another side equipment token just to make up for it. And if for lethality sake, had a sensor so that only non-lethal rounds were able to be inserted, unless Emagged or EMP’d
Mainly because it would add variety and open up opportunity for more usage out of a sec gun

or a different variation so it is rechargeable, being a three barrel shotgun, that manufactures its own ammo, so it can be recharged and takes more time to gain its ammo back, but it can rotate its barrel to choose from 3 different types of ammo, obviously none lethal, but possibly slug, smoke and what ever else seems fitting

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

• What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
Although entirely impractical, something along the lines of like Cyberpunk 2077, with the Trauma Team, just make security paid for so only people with a certain module in their PDA is able to call for security and it will notify sec what level it is, and if their insurance covers them to stop the crime
entirely impractical in terms of RP, but it would be interesting as a gang round gimmick or similar
Eh... Not sure on this one. I don't think I've seen you lead much, probably because you play Detective, and that's one of my biggest issues with this application. You seem to be applying for Head of Security and then avoid the Officer work? Sorry if I misunderstand but while the HoS should delegate quite a lot, they should definitely get their fill of Officer action alongside their team. This is odd to me. You also admit to getting annoyed during rounds which I can agree on and I'm not happy I can - there's been times we're I've said some admittedly simple things to you to just make sure you know what's up and you've responded pretty hostile, which doesn't come off as IC anger despite being on RP, concerning. No for now. I'm more than willing to change my tune if I see an improvement in behavior and an increase of Officer rounds. Shotgun idea as well as the Trauma Team gimmick seems a little too disruptive? Dunno.
(01-26-2024, 04:58 PM)444explorer Wrote: Eh... Not sure on this one. I don't think I've seen you lead much, probably because you play Detective, and that's one of my biggest issues with this application. You seem to be applying for Head of Security and then avoid the Officer work? Sorry if I misunderstand but while the HoS should delegate quite a lot, they should definitely get their fill of Officer action alongside their team. This is odd to me. You also admit to getting annoyed during rounds which I can agree on and I'm not happy I can - there's been times we're I've said some admittedly simple things to you to just make sure you know what's up and you've responded pretty hostile, which doesn't come off as IC anger despite being on RP, concerning. No for now. I'm more than willing to change my tune if I see an improvement in behavior and an increase of Officer rounds. Shotgun idea as well as the Trauma Team gimmick seems a little too disruptive? Dunno.
its not intended to make it sound like i avoid doing officer work, as i play a fair bit of that as well, and do what i can, its just i like also sometimes having the time to do investigation.
and when i get annoyed it usually drags on from self doubt or that if a situation is over with, if i think i messed up or couldve done better it does sorta annoy myself a tad bit, and i dont mean to make it sound hostile when responding to you, and i appreciate when you give feedback, its just unfortunately at a time where i assess myself.

and as you mentioned, i will do my best to focus more on officer rounds in current times, to at least show i can improve

and the two gimmicky parts, yeah i let my mind wander and it is extremely gimmicky depending on how it could be done

thanks for the response though
It's funny, I thought Rai was already a HoS. Color me surprised.
If that's the case, I'll definitely put in a positive work for Rai. I don't play security but I've only had positive experiences when they were playing Security.
I've had a fair few rounds with Rai, and I generally think they're a good player with a decent grasp on the game. Unfortunately, I do think I feel like they're a bit too green still, most of their Sec rounds have been fairly passive (which makes sense), and I personally would recommend a few more games to get experience for what it means to be in Security, let alone being in charge of the department. The few things you've mentioned lead me to think you're enamored with parts of Security, but not necessarily the entire package. Make no mistake, being a HoS is a stressful experience that can be as taxing as it is rewarding, you'll be asked to step in and be responsible for things that someone else did consistently. Enjoying investigations is good, but arrests and delegation, as well as communication are vital parts of the job you'll want to excel at.
(01-28-2024, 04:38 AM)Glamurio Wrote: I've had a fair few rounds with Rai, and I generally think they're a good player with a decent grasp on the game. Unfortunately, I do think I feel like they're a bit too green still, most of their Sec rounds have been fairly passive (which makes sense), and I personally would recommend a few more games to get experience for what it means to be in Security, let alone being in charge of the department. The few things you've mentioned lead me to think you're enamored with parts of Security, but not necessarily the entire package. Make no mistake, being a HoS is a stressful experience that can be as taxing as it is rewarding, you'll be asked to step in and be responsible for things that someone else did consistently. Enjoying investigations is good, but arrests and delegation, as well as communication are vital parts of the job you'll want to excel at.

i have had alot of rounds as officer, where the station has fallen quite bad into disarray, and i do my best to try and put my part in to stop what ever is happening, so i have had some experience within being close to some of the worst situations. and i am/have been trying to increase my communication of recent time as well.
and i have had my fair share of handling arrests.
im just unsure how to properly respond, because i dont know how much of this relates to current time Rai. but thanks for replying either way
Rai puts a lot of effort into security officer; however, I feel you are still inexperienced. During chaotic shifts, I have seen you express your frustration IC. Everyone has stressful shifts, so that can be understandable in isolation. Yet, what concerns me is how often this happens.

HoS is an often-stressful role that has a lot of influence on the mood of a round. I believe you still need time to acclimatize and flourish; I have no doubts that you can eventually become a great HoS. But this is a -1 for now.
(01-31-2024, 12:42 PM)Keiiro Wrote: Rai puts a lot of effort into security officer; however, I feel you are still inexperienced. During chaotic shifts, I have seen you express your frustration IC. Everyone has stressful shifts, so that can be understandable in isolation. Yet, what concerns me is how often this happens.

HoS is an often-stressful role that has a lot of influence on the mood of a round. I believe you still need time to acclimatize and flourish; I have no doubts that you can eventually become a great HoS. But this is a -1 for now.
well thanks for responding

but i usually only get frustrated during chaotic shifts because everyone ends up just shouting everything on comms, where its just a jumble of accusations and just blurting out everything. its more down to that where no one listens to anyone that i get annoyed from.

thanks anyway
A head of security needs to have some traits. Patience, leading, and also using the cards they are dealt to be fair and try to keep a round flowing in times of stress, and at the moment I do not believe you, yet, have those skills. This does not mean I do not believe you can, you have a good technical grasp, and are usually friendly and inclusive, as far as I've seen.

I suggest trying to work on your patience, and to temper your reactions, and expectations. Keep up on that and I'm sure you will do fine! Don't be afraid to try to help guide a situation, but don't get mad if you can't ya know. Its all dice and chaos, flow with it and direct it gently rather then trying to redirect it.

Remember security is a whole package, and that package does include struggling, chaos, accusations, and chaos sometimes. Keep plugging away and learn to take things a bit more on the level and you'll do great!

Best wishes.
No. In the most recent round with you, you seemed to take offence at me using the General Radio to tell you an unpowered door you wanted to walk through just got opened - before that, I was roleplaying my character as upset due to having to watch its corpse get torn apart. Your responses seemed OOC, as you seemed to think I have something against you (which, I don't). A HoS will get a lot of attention on the general radio, and will face quite a lot of hate at times. I don't think you're fit to handle this at all.

Maybe in the future, once you're able to take this better?
(02-03-2024, 02:44 PM)444explorer Wrote: No. In the most recent round with you, you seemed to take offence at me using the General Radio to tell you an unpowered door you wanted to walk through just got opened - before that, I was roleplaying my character as upset due to having to watch its corpse get torn apart. Your responses seemed OOC, as you seemed to think I have something against you (which, I don't). A HoS will get a lot of attention on the general radio, and will face quite a lot of hate at times. I don't think you're fit to handle this at all.

Maybe in the future, once you're able to take this better?

yeah i saw this coming
sorry about what i did
but on my end it did feel like you had a genuine problem with me at that time

so sorry about that
We really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to a lack of positive feedback, and concerns with how you handled that feedback (notably, bringing it up in-character on the RP servers). You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be April 10, 2024. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep sec officering!