Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Synthorgan buff
Make synthorgans usually desirable over regular organs and in some/most situations desirable over cyberorgans.

sugar heals all organs, (all organs take damage from burning?)

eyes: cannot completely die from welding
heart: Uses sugar for more stamina gain? downside needed
Lungs: can also breathe CO2, gives more stamina regen and produces sugar based on amount of CO2. Lower max temp for breathing (maybe 40C), takes massive damage from air that is too hot
Arms: upside and downside needed
Legs: upside and downside needed
Stomach: Food buffs last longer
Intestines: upside and downside needed
Liver: upside and downside needed
Pancreas: Turns excess sugar into small amount of omnizine
kidney: Chem metabolism speed is much lower (like 50%)
spleen: produces blood faster at the cost of stamina
appendix: heals you at the cost of stamina

(i can code these if the ideas for all of these are good enough which they might not be)
My primary concern here is botany is allready an incredibly powerful department, and this would take away from robotics even more.
(01-25-2024, 11:19 AM)Silent Majority Wrote: My primary concern here is botany is allready an incredibly powerful department, and this would take away from robotics even more.

improvised surgery isn't exactly the easiest thing, so I'm hoping botany would give these to roboticists
Personally I'd prefer it if instead of synthorgans being alt cyberorgans, they behaved closer to synthlimbs. You can eat them and it'll automatically replace your organ with them.
I think what synthorgans need is not their own set of special abilities to compete with cyberorgans but convenience instead.

Currently producing a decent range of synthorgans require infusing multiple synthmeat seeds and cultivating each one of them separately. This take either a lot of space or a lot of time.

Having a single "synthpod" plant producing a grab bag of random organs on harvest or at least grouping some organs onto the same plant like how synthstomach plant also grow intestines would be a great improvement. Grouping all organs onto 3 or 4 plants would make it much less of a hassle to get a full set of organs wich currently require 10 different plants not counting limbs and butts.

With better convenience of growth and their innate increased health from endurance, maybe synthorgans could see a bit more use ?
(01-25-2024, 11:59 AM)Ikea Wrote: Personally I'd prefer it if instead of synthorgans being alt cyberorgans, they behaved closer to synthlimbs. You can eat them and it'll automatically replace your organ with them.

I had this idea for the viserite organ topic.

But giving it to Synth organs is a good idea too!
(01-25-2024, 11:56 AM)valtsu0 Wrote:
(01-25-2024, 11:19 AM)Silent Majority Wrote: My primary concern here is botany is allready an incredibly powerful department, and this would take away from robotics even more.

improvised surgery isn't exactly the easiest thing, so I'm hoping botany would give these to roboticists

the last time we had a synth organ buff ias a test thing it resulted in botanists mech scanning surgery tables and doing organ replacements in the halls with forks knives and wire cutters.
(01-29-2024, 02:01 AM)Silent Majority Wrote: the last time we had a synth organ buff ias a test thing it resulted in botanists mech scanning surgery tables and doing organ replacements in the halls with forks knives and wire cutters.

I mean, firstly surgery has significantly changed in the past (especially for non-fld9ctor trained personel). And secondly, this stuff is always an effect "new shiny toy" being added thirdly, botany working together with engineering to jump in for a department is awesone, honestly.

But to throw my hat into the ring:

I would say that synthorgan baseline-buffs would run into significant problems balance-wise. It also goes against botany's philosophy of wildcards that can do pretty much anything, but not everything at the same time.

This means for usefull synthorgans we need niche-effects (increased health, attached by simply application) or ones that need significant investment to be decent.

Think potato batteries. They can be extremly powerfull, but only if you dedicate most of your shift on them. Apply the same principle on synthorgans, and you get synthorgans into the area of interesting gimmicks without replacing robotics.
This feels far far too much for an already strong department. Turning sugar into both organ healing and extra stamina if you have a synthheart ontop of sugars already existing stamina regen buff is already a very good deal, then you propose turning sugar into omnizine and breathing CO2? Sorry, but I really don't see what this does other than make regular, fairly simple to make Synthorgans possibly out-preform EMAG'd Cyberorgans for very little downside other than watching out for hot air (which you'd already be doing, and usually you have time to equip internals in). This would take away from Robotics very noticeably. Botany already has good options for healing and bombs, poisons etc. Botany doesn't also need good organs ontop of that in my opinion. Artifact limbs have some similarly powerful abilities under the impression it's very easy to see that someone has one and that they aren't something you can make sure you'll find in a round.