Jack Hunter HOS application (2nd attempt)
Information 
Usual character name: Jack Hunter
BYOND username: Smallsandman
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Smallsandman #7661
Recommended by (if applicable): None
Goon servers you play: 3 (and 4 rarely)

Reason for application: There was a time where I rarely played security at all, then one day I decided that I was gonna try getting good at it. so I started playing it a bunch and now I just keep playing it. it's become a default job for me along side staff assistant. I wanted to both get feedback on how I play so I may get better and grow for this role and see what people think about me taking on this role.

Security experience (300 word minimum): Ive been doing security for some time now, I know all the basics to security such as gear usage, arrest procedures, and secmate/records editing and am willing to teach them to others. I specifically enjoy dealing with bombs (even if I end up blowing up 25% the time) due to my experience with making them in game. I believe I have a good grasp on when the armory and it's equipment is needed and when it's not. there are a few things I believe deserve some spotlight.
  • Communication is important: Everyone says this, good thing it can't be overstated! Security is a department that needs communication way more then any of the other departments. Without communication like saying why people are wanted or telling others the status of yourself or someone's arrest the team would get confused and wouldn't be able to get things done efficiently and people would constantly be asking questions about who did what and where things are happening. While rounds can get chaotic and confusing communication can lessen this as if the whole group understands what's going on it will get less confusing.
  • Handling of Antagonists and their equipment: Antagonists are the driving force of your rounds, security would not be needed without them. Killing all of them whenever they are discovered would leave you with a bunch of time with nothing to do! As such its important they get some leeway in areas. They should be treated like how you would treat the crew of the station until its proven they are not crew. whether it be giving them a chance to come in peacefully to letting them make deals. its important not to over punish for small crimes, like how you dont really need to search someone for attacking someone with a toolbox that's more a job for short brig time. now if they continually reoffend searching them would not be unreasonable. similar with one case of having contraband, if you can just convince them to hand it in there is no real need to search them. Larger crimes like murder or theft of an important item will push me to search them and take illegal equipment in addition to brig time. Now once you find contraband gear and confiscate it, it is to go in contraband and not be kept for personal use and should only be used in absolute emergencies if at all.  this part is even in space law!
  • Crew interactions and gimmicks: The crew are 80% of the players of the game they are what you are here to protect, they are important and shouldn't be ignored outright. If someone comes in reporting a vampire it may sound weird an illogical (in an RP sense) but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be looked into. now onto gimmicks. Gimmicks are a big part of the game they can make rounds more interesting if everyone JUST did their role and nothing else it would be fairly boring and uniform. Gimmicks can also be REALLY funny and I love a good laugh so its best not to shut down gimmicks when they are just getting started unless its killed a large significate amount of the crew.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    1: Don't keep people too long, especially without roleplay. if you have someone in there for like 20 minutes while they are figuring out what they did or why they are there. at that point just take contraband and drop them outside security, unless they were gonna be executed (unlikely to be unknown by the whole team) they have already served their sentence out and then some.
    2: Winning is not the point of security, Securities role is to be the opposition to the antagonists and to make their round less of a boring steam roll with no opposition for them and an actual challenge. "It's not about winning. its about fun!" - Talking cheese. (for all parties involved preferably)

3: Security is reactive and not pro-active over preparing for everything that could happens gives the antags less options and over all makes it less fun for people as a problem is dealt with before it happens.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
    One of my favorite moments was the round where I learned how to do bomb RP, I had spawned in as a vampire but not wanting to do normal vampire things i decided I wanted to try something with TTV's, now this was one of my first RP antag rounds if I'm remembering right, so i asked the admins how to escalate TTV's as I didnt fully understand escalation at the time. I decided on wearing the TTV on my back and threatening to blow up medbay should my demands not be met. someone tried to take it off me while I was talking so I ran into a chute and ended up in the kitchen freezer. security blocks my one way out so I make demands "I want a ride out of here and ill leave the bomb with you" or something along those lines. so they get me a pod but they pod lock it so I'm standing there trying to figure out the code as I think they'll betray me. As soon as i figure out the code they tell me what it is, i start to get in and drop the bomb but they think i'm trying to leave with it so i get tazed, one officer notices i dropped the bomb so they tell the others to let me go, as I'm about to be taken in bio magnets of all things save the day bringing everyone right up on the same tile and giving me the chance to grab the bomb and set it off. all but one of security died I think. now I was dead, my round was over. then the fact i clone scanned came back into play, now I was alive and nearly all of security was dead. it wasn't to difficult avoiding the last remaining security person with the fact vamps can cancel stuns so I even made it to Central Command.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

• What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
    I want to try holding some small events involving the crew, maybe a self-defense seminar or something of the sort would be fun.

• Draw a picture! "I got this!"

[Image: I_got_this..png?width=1811&height=630]

I have taken into consideration the worries i received last time and have altered my gameplay to do better. (i forgot to add this to the app and dont know if i can edit)

oh thats how you edit.
I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this one - you're a good player, and you know what you are doing I just feel like you don't really give yourself a presence? I haven't ever seen you teach or lead, not saying this doesn't happen but it's an important part of how a HoS can improve a round. Neutral leaning on a 'maybe another time'. I'll be sure to write another reply if I notice these though.
(01-18-2024, 02:47 AM)444explorer Wrote: I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this one - you're a good player, and you know what you are doing I just feel like you don't really give yourself a presence? I haven't ever seen you teach or lead, not saying this doesn't happen but it's an important part of how a HoS can improve a round. Neutral leaning on a 'maybe another time'. I'll be sure to write another reply if I notice these though.

Thanks for the reply, allow me to clarify a few things if you do not mind.
In the past I’ve tried to offer my leadership to HOSless teams, and have been struck down a few times and told things like “you just want to act like an HOS without the responsibility”, this has led me to fear making others games worse for trying to lead. This is obviously not working anymore and I’m going to try giving leadership rather than offering it. Unless there is a HOS already there in which case I will ask if I can lead along side them so I do not seem like I’m trying to steal their job.

On to teaching, I like teaching new folk and giving lessons to those who want them and will jump at the opportunity to do so, however these opportunities can be quite rare and often someone will get there before I do and I don’t want to jump in and steal their teaching moment. As such it can be quite difficult to show that I’m willing to teach when there is no one to teach.

That is all, again thanks for the reply.
Jack is the silliest carrot around, would be interesting to see how they will make the carrot style match the HoS clothings. Although their character is really comical, and that made me think a bunch on writing this, they know pretty well how to escalate, what tools to use/not use, and how to make the round fun on overall. A thing that really made me happy is that in a recent round, after we sealed the armory since the reason it got open was dealt with, they were very proactive in returning the stuff they got from it. Im curious on Jack Hunter but with the serious boots and serious approach. Or maybe even with another character. One note, and that could maybe be on me for not seeing/remembering it, but i dont see them updating people much on what hapenned that round/whats going on, but again, that can be on me.
(01-18-2024, 11:36 AM)GuiHppn Wrote: Jack is the silliest carrot around, would be interesting to see how they will make the carrot style match the HoS clothings. Although their character is really comical, and that made me think a bunch on writing this, they know pretty well how to escalate, what tools to use/not use, and how to make the round fun on overall. A thing that really made me happy is that in a recent round, after we sealed the armory since the reason it got open was dealt with, they were very proactive in returning the stuff they got from it. Im curious on Jack Hunter but with the serious boots and serious approach. Or maybe even with another character. One note, and that could maybe be on me for not seeing/remembering it, but i dont see them updating people much on what hapenned that round/whats going on, but again, that can be on me.

Thanks for the reply, i will take this into account, i suppose there is no such thing as Over-updating.

(01-18-2024, 02:09 PM)smallsandman Wrote:
(01-18-2024, 11:36 AM)GuiHppn Wrote: Jack is the silliest carrot around, would be interesting to see how they will make the carrot style match the HoS clothings. Although their character is really comical, and that made me think a bunch on writing this, they know pretty well how to escalate, what tools to use/not use, and how to make the round fun on overall. A thing that really made me happy is that in a recent round, after we sealed the armory since the reason it got open was dealt with, they were very proactive in returning the stuff they got from it. Im curious on Jack Hunter but with the serious boots and serious approach. Or maybe even with another character. One note, and that could maybe be on me for not seeing/remembering it, but i dont see them updating people much on what hapenned that round/whats going on, but again, that can be on me.

Thanks for the reply, i will take this into account, i suppose there is no such thing as Over-updating.

not sure if this appends or quotes this again but as another thing i thought of, I tend to be silly-er in lesser (in a manner of speaking) roles. like as a sec assistant im pretty silly but will do my job if its around me. as officer i will am less silly and more actively seek out problems or things and take things in a more serious manner. I assume that i'd be even less silly in a higher position, though sometimes regardless of rank i can be silly, remember if im ever too silly i can always be asked in LOOC to tune it down because i worry about annoying people.

dang it, thats a bit too much, but i figured out how the reply works now.
I have seen notable improvement!! I can see you're trying hard.

I do not know if I could lend my support. So instead, I will lend my feedback.

Generally, you've improved a great deal about trying to respond to issues in a more mature fashion.
I've seen you no longer do extremely disruptive non antag bits, nor siding with security as an antag to hunt down other antags.
I have seen you in general be a more positive influence!!! You're nice to be around!

I believe you need to work guidance. Also, delegation and assistance. A HoS is a facilitator role. You often rush to attend to issues on your own. Guide other people there. GO with them. Let people lead the procedure and give support. Nurture.
React more then Proactive. You've gotten better but you still have somewhat of an issue with hounding down people sometimes, but it HAS notable improved!
Work on trying to tone match. Sometimes you're a bit blythe when people are trying to be very serious, always try to respect the other persons rp and try to react TO it, make the story together don't just ignore tone!

I see alot of good qualities. I see some I don't care for as much. I think you could get there, work on teaching, work on delegation! I believe you could do it proud one day!
Jack is very active and I know for a fact carries a lot of experience of the game mechanics with him. If it only came down to knowing how to RP or how to play as a SecOff, it'd be an easy yes. But like Silent, I do think that you lack experience when it comes to cooperating or working in a team. You're a great solo player, but have trouble integrating yourself and seem more like a lone wolf. I'm still on the fence, however I do think if you keep at it, the beret is as good as yours.
(01-24-2024, 07:37 AM)Glamurio Wrote: Jack is very active and I know for a fact carries a lot of experience of the game mechanics with him. If it only came down to knowing how to RP or how to play as a SecOff, it'd be an easy yes. But like Silent, I do think that you lack experience when it comes to cooperating or working in a team. You're a great solo player, but have trouble integrating yourself and seem more like a lone wolf. I'm still on the fence, however I do think if you keep at it, the beret is as good as yours.

Thanks, i been working on working with my team better since the first app. trying as hard as I can to get better at this department.
Jack has matured a lot since the time of the last application. I see you teaching new security players frequently and with every chance you get, which you do just fine. I also appreciate the fun gimmicks you choose to run now, which are less obstructive than past ones.

However, while you take every opportunity to teach new players, I personally cannot recall you ever leading or unifying the team together. I think you still need to solidify your presence in the team, and that is why I am neutral on this. Seeing you adopting the role of a leader and handling chaotic situations would make me change my neutral to a +1.
Having played alongside Jack Hunter a large amount over the past year or so I can definitely say that they have made great leaps of improvement in the past months and are right at the cusp of being capable enough for me to give a +1, though there is one last thing missing. While I believe they have every part of being an officer and good roleplayer down I think a bit more shown leadership is what I want to see before I can give wholehearted approval. I think they have it in them to make it perhaps before the end of this cycle though, so I'll be watching with high hopes that I can come back here to revise my response in the near future. I can at least say they are certainly putting in genuine effort. Good luck Sandman. Until then, I'll remain neutral.
Smallsandman's a good officer, witnessed him teaching new rookies a lot of times, and i've witnessed him leading sec teams pretty successfully.
And that would be a positive recommendation, however I have some concerns about not having the emotionnal "robustness" needed for the role. I've seen you break pretty badly in some situations. And, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with breaking sometimes, but the way you handle it, by letting it leak into IC , makes me doubt you'll currently make a good HoS.

And, as the others said, you're making good progress on all of that, so keep it up, and maybe in the next cycle.
(02-08-2024, 11:54 AM)Chatauscours Wrote: Smallsandman's a good officer, witnessed him teaching new rookies a lot of times, and i've witnessed him leading sec teams pretty successfully.
And that would be a positive recommendation, however I have some concerns about not having the emotionnal "robustness" needed for the role. I've seen you break pretty badly in some situations. And, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with breaking sometimes, but the way you handle it, by letting it leak into IC , makes me doubt you'll currently make a good HoS.

And, as the others said, you're making good progress on all of that, so keep it up, and maybe in the next cycle.

I do apologize for that, I know it was not good and I certainly ain't proud of it, and I'm trying my hardest not to let things get to me as much from this point. I actually think the hopes of others for me has helped my confidence in a way.
We really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to concerns with how hard you can be on yourself, and with how you'd handle some of the duties that are expected of the HoS, such as executions. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be April 10, 2024. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep sec officering!