Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Meta-Neural Antenna shouldn't pick up gang and salvager radio
This seems more like an oversight then anything, but a mutation thats pretty easy to make that most genticists can research can completely trivialize and remove communication abilities for both group antags.

since both of those groups also REQUIRE communication this feels like its -really- punishing to them, especially if a genticist just walks over to sec or command and hands out injectors.
I fully agree.

Here is how it currently works:

Certain headsets (most notably the syndicate headset) are "secure" and is not picked up by the meta-neural antenna.
Chat from all other headsets are picked up by meta-neural antenna.

This leads to the following:
* No matter which frequency you speak on with a syndicate headset - meta-neural antenna will not pick it up.
* If you speak on the syndicate frequency using a wiretap upgrade installed on a non-secure headset, meta-neural antenna WILL pick it up.
* Gang headsets are implemented using a special wiretap upgrade. You can remove it using wire cutters.

I would change it so:
  • (Empowered) Meta-Neural Antenna picks up all chat frequencies in the range 144.1 - 148.9 (which can be freely selected as frequency).
  • Empowered Meta-Neural Antenna additionally picks up the following frequencies:
    • Command
    • Security
    • Engineering
    • Research
    • Medical
    • Civilian
    • Detective(?) (used for their spy stickers)

All other frequencies are private and secure.
A Salvager's Headset should be protected against Meta-Neural Antenna. I believe it's still an issue with the Gang Radio Upgrade but not the unused Gang Headsets.
The problem with Meta-Neural it's suppose to be the whole: "You hear all radio waves in your head" Meaning to overwhelm the user.

Removing access to it.. ruins that arc. What I recommend insted is changing the whole thing.

Pick up all the radio, but you don't know where it's from or who is saying it and it's partly garbled due to all the radio traffic.
So now it comes up as:
"Will y*** st** *****oding stuff?"
And not know what it means unless they have a radio headset on to filter out what's what.

Abit of "Detectiving?"
(01-15-2024, 09:30 AM)Kotlol Wrote: The problem with Meta-Neural it's suppose to be the whole: "You hear all radio waves in your head" Meaning to overwhelm the user.

Removing access to it.. ruins that arc. What I recommend insted is changing the whole thing.

Pick up all the radio, but you don't know where it's from or who is saying it and it's partly garbled due to all the radio traffic.
So now it comes up as:
"Will y*** st** *****oding stuff?"
And not know what it means unless they have a radio headset on to filter out what's what.

Abit of "Detectiving?"

Yeah, it should overwhelm, but considering the AI/captain already have access to all the chattier channels...
The current downside is not THAT big.

Your suggestion is also easy somewhat easy to do - flock already has similar things.
(01-15-2024, 07:22 AM)DasBrain Wrote: (snip)

I would change it so:
  • (Empowered) Meta-Neural Antenna picks up all chat frequencies in the range 144.1 - 148.9 (which can be freely selected as frequency).
  • Empowered Meta-Neural Antenna additionally picks up the following frequencies:
    • Command
    • Security
    • Engineering
    • Research
    • Medical
    • Civilian
    • Detective(?) (used for their spy stickers)

All other frequencies are private and secure.

I like this suggestion the best.
I like Dasbrain's suggestion too, garbling all radio channels like flock has feels unnecessarily punishing, having genes that that are Really Good be a possibility is fun
The problem with allowing them to hear channels, although garbled, is that knowing the channels exist already gives the user an advantage, cause now they know what to look-out for, especially for antags like salvager.