Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.29 Average
Salvager captain role
Currently, from what i've seen, salvagers tend to be pretty disorganised and run off doing their own thing each most of the time. 

A salvager captain, or commander role, given randomly to one of the salvagers similarly to how gang leaders or nukie commanders work, might help to organise salvagers and bring out the more team sided part of the mode. 

Maybe the captain could get a pet (thinking of a crab or squirell since they hoard things) and a small room aboard the magpie.
I like salvagers a lot too, but the leader role shouldn't be a captain, but a "Manager"

I know they be pirates technically... but it would just be funnier to be a "manager", since we don't have managers in NT.
Played a salvager round recently where we had a designated leader directing us on where to go. It ended up going much better than it usually would, and we were able to loot much more of the station and create a more serious threat. Salvagers are a heavily team based antagonist, and any one person going off on their own will impact the team, so I think a leader role would be a good change.

Don't know about the room and pet though. It seems more like a ragtag type of antagonist to me, not an organized association like the syndicate.
Salvagers sure do need a leader, yep. But considering they sell to MAGGIE, a silicon... What if their "manager" was a silicon, too?
(01-07-2024, 10:08 AM)Zhail Wrote: Played a salvager round recently where we had a designated leader directing us on where to go. It ended up going much better than it usually would, and we were able to loot much more of the station and create a more serious threat. Salvagers are a heavily team based antagonist, and any one person going off on their own will impact the team, so I think a leader role would be a good change.

Don't know about the room and pet though. It seems more like a ragtag type of antagonist to me, not an organized association like the syndicate.

I spectated this round and it was incredible to watch. I'm sort of used to seeing salvagers be rather disjointed while they're all off doing their own thing, while occasionally checking in to see what everyone else is up to. So seeing salvagers communicate frequently while having a focused goal made things interesting. Having a captain coordinating definitely helped with that.
(01-07-2024, 11:54 AM)mintyphresh Wrote: Salvagers sure do need a leader, yep. But considering they sell to MAGGIE, a silicon... What if their "manager" was a silicon, too?

I'm not really sure how this would work out or how you'd be able to integrate a silicon but I think this is a fantastic idea and I kind of love the scrappy folks having a silicon "manager" that's kind of like a weird foreman LMAO.
Side note, but kinda funny that salvagers are getting similar feedback that conspiracy got

Meaning I'm down for a manager, cap, or even HoS (head of salvage), or even a cyborg who can see the laws but doesn't need to act upon them. Having a robot who can just blend in perfectly is gr9, on top of being able to open doors for secret ops without giving themselves away, or bolt doors to cover escapes.
Sounds good. Not sure about making them a Borg or anything special past just being the leader of salvagers as Silicons can be incredibly devastating to fight against under the right circumstances (might be too much for salvagers?).
Not sure why they'd have a pet or room tbh as it's not like they'd have any unique gear from what I understand. Some lore could be cool, actually.
Why not make it an AI that can only use camera's and control pods as a command center?

They also have a borg body, but only ONE. If it dies...the command center is screwed.

This way... salvagers have to decide if they wanna cut camera's or not. it adds complexity.
And now the commander/leader is a silicon giving orders. Wich is a fun reversal.

I don't want them to get a "Door hacking mechanic" though.. or else they will rush armory door hacking.
If anything they can only verbally direct the salvagers and control pods/1 body.

Basically their game ends when all salvagers are dead.
I think this is an interesting idea.  My previous reservations regarding this was that it currently allows for self-selection for that role which adds a twist compared to other determinations of a leader.  You are all assigned to a group and someone, if they desire, can opt to take the responsibility of leading the group.  This seemed more inline of the social game and gave control to the players. 

I do understand there is natural friction if there is conflict over multiple people wanting to be the leader or people being obstinate to taking orders but that seems like a natural consequence of being a social game.

This does seem at least worthwhile to try, what do you all think is really necessary to delineate the leader? Or should this just be a mandatory bonus duty?
(01-09-2024, 12:05 PM)Azrun Wrote: This does seem at least worthwhile to try, what do you all think is really necessary to delineate the leader? Or should this just be a mandatory bonus duty?

In my opinion, the delineation should be minimal: Mostly cosmetic, kept to a special headset icon perhaps, maybe a different starting spacesuit, or some special little weapon that's good but not that good (like some junk stick for ~ 12 damage)
Bigger hat
I really enjoy Salvager rounds. Typically, it'll be a mix of regulars and newbies, and in many of my rounds, the group came to a consensus to elect the leader with the most experience. I think this is definitely the way to go, most competent leads, and reflects how real world pirates historically selected their captain.
I think the only thing the Captain/Leader/Manager needs is something to designate that it's the captain visually, ideally some "hat" that can remain constant through different outfit/armor changes. Whoever the crew elects leader gets the "hat".
What about a "Salvager Operator", basically a guy somewhere else in a computer room. They can swap out between each salvager's helmet cam, talk to them via radio or send them text messages, have some limited options to open doors/jam cameras near the salvagers, and so forth.

This would give them someone to help out operations, without it being "another salvager", and i feel the idea of "a guy in a grimy computer room eating pizza and coordinating a team of thieves" would fit well with the antag in general.

Mechanically, they wouldn't really be anywhere, more so act like a more limited AI that gives orders instead of taking them.
Salv Coordinator definitely needs information-gathering tools like what Col suggested. Would love to see the AI core room replaced with a grimy room like that...