Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cogblap v0.98 | beta testing will be happening occasionally
Fair enough, the main reason I suggested it is it seemed like a lot of wasted space, for a maintainence room that didn't really have any other purpose then to give the Jury a small maintainence hallway.

The beepsky Haus is a nice add though, and seems like a much more fun use of space.
this is great cog, i really like it.

the only thing I disagree with is the lack of a solitary confinement. Perhaps make escaping from it easier, and stick a wall radio in there so the poor sod can listen to the chat and try to organize a breakout. But it's a necessary feature, especially when disagreements break out between the sec team, which happens very often with bloodthirsty officers. I normally just want to give unlucky traitors a decent brig time and another chance, while they will try everything in their power to execute them, even waiting until I'm out the room for a minute to retrieve the traitor and drag him to the crusher. I try not to put guys in there for the whole round, that's no fun for anyone, but it is a necessary feature in my opinion and it doesn't take up much space.

I agree with you on the courtroom front, it's not hard to build a courtroom in an empty lobby somewhere if you want to hold a trial (done this on numerous occasions, just takes a bit of metal) and there's no point taking up room for something that's done maybe 1 in 15-20 rounds, if that.
Oddball Wrote:there's no point taking up room for something that's done maybe 1 in 15-20 rounds, if that.
I do like having the courtroom there as basically a "Bridge Lobby" though. Even if it's never used, it's much better than just having a normal hallway up to the Bridge double-doors.

And if gives Captains a large open space to run gimmicks in, as if that ever happens.
Oddball Wrote:this is great cog, i really like it.

the only thing I disagree with is the lack of a solitary confinement. Perhaps make escaping from it easier, and stick a wall radio in there so the poor sod can listen to the chat and try to organize a breakout. But it's a necessary feature, especially when disagreements break out between the sec team, which happens very often with bloodthirsty officers. I normally just want to give unlucky traitors a decent brig time and another chance, while they will try everything in their power to execute them, even waiting until I'm out the room for a minute to retrieve the traitor and drag him to the crusher. I try not to put guys in there for the whole round, that's no fun for anyone, but it is a necessary feature in my opinion and it doesn't take up much space.

I agree with you on the courtroom front, it's not hard to build a courtroom in an empty lobby somewhere if you want to hold a trial (done this on numerous occasions, just takes a bit of metal) and there's no point taking up room for something that's done maybe 1 in 15-20 rounds, if that.

Alright, you've convinced me. I'll convert the upper right cell into an HoS-keyed secure cell with no windows, but it'll have that airless construction area right behind it to make dangerous escapes possible.

My bridge lobby is the courtroom, I just don't think it needs much beyond the defense stand, jury box and an open area in front of it.

In other news, Dr. Singh says it should be easy to implement some remotely-rotateable Automatic Mass Driver Loaders, which would mean I can strip out most of the blast door gates in the delivery hub and just have open junctions that can switch track directions from the QM's console.
WONDERFUL!

Really, i think it's time we get a new map, and change things up a bit.

However, with the size, and the many things that litter the station, will this contribute to lag? I thought bigger and more created a worse lag issue? though i could easily be wrong.
Secrets should not be labeled 'SECRET HERE'', silly. Space is vain, taking pictures of itself. And pathology is making a return? Oh my.

This map looks awesome, seems like it's massive, with lots of places to hide and kill.
Decent map. Only thing that I don't like is the custodial closet. I'm a sneaky janitor and do not like people peering in through a window. Twisted
cogmap v0.85 revision

[Image: 2ch74gl.jpg]

CLICK FOR HUGE 100% VERSION:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89619796/v085.png

Revision notes
  • Placeholders: green = grass or shrubbery, red = rotating AMDL, purple = standard AMDL

• Delivery hub changed to use rotating automatic mass driver loaders (tbd) instead of the previous AMDL/blastdoor system. Still a clusterfuck of belts, but having the AMDLs able to switch direction simplifies things a great deal.

• QM-radio 2-way intercoms at all access points to the crate delivery hub

• Added solitary cell back, but the airless damaged area is right behind it for dangerous escapes

• Shrunk some of the hallways and extraneous areas down, still more to do - probably need to shrink medbay and turn a few more of the 4x halls into 3x

• I blame the radiating tiles in the chapel on my sinus infection medicine, deal with it

• Beepskyhaus next to security lobby. Segway storage below the blast doors.

• Color-coded intercom stations in a few locations around the station. Set to broadcast on job-specific channels. Cannot hear restricted chatter unless hacked. Think of them as police boxes, but there are some for engineers and doctors too. TBD: give them a toggle so they can be turned on for a few seconds and then shut themselves back off automatically. Make them issue a short burst of static over the associated frequency when hacked.

• Takeout delivery dock above Bar, spend your paycheck to buy shitty dangerous chinese food, ice cream, pizzas, and burritos from a sketchy little delivery pod.
    Mini-QM shuttle, sorta.

• Minimorgue in Medbay -> toss unclaimed/unwanted bodies into isolated disposals pipes -> delivered straight to chapel morgue

• Trying to keep coherent structural lines in the wall arrangements so the station looks more modular/industrial

• Airbridge access to the AI upload and network/headset hub. (TBD: make headsets function like cell phones through that hub.) People with some time on their hands could hack in from space or through those grilled conduit lines that run north to south.

• Shrunk escape shuttle down a bit to make gunfights more hazardous in there. No exterior doors so people can't float around outside in space waiting for it to arrive, unless they're willing to bust in through the windows - Donut II was like this. some people hate this idea, so maybe not?
More ideas:

[Image: 5jwE1.png]

EAST -> edge of zlevel
NORTH -> station infrastructure

(purple tile is a placeholder for the AMDL things)

Scrap the QM shuttle entirely and replace it with a launcher dock. Buy one crate at a time, crate comes flying in from the east. Sell things by packing them in crates and firing them to the east. Crates with players inside them won't sell, they just go flying off the z-level.

Also have a 1-5% chance of the ordered crate showing up as a high-velocity meteor reskinned to look like a crate, smashes through the side of the station instead of landing peacefully.

[Image: 3B78K.png]

Changed escape shuttle to use single-pane windows, added space-facing airlocks to the access dock for treason/mischief/spacefarers, and a single plating tile at the back of the airlock for one daring person to try hitching a ride by the engines - maybe with a significant risk of something bad happening.
I like the new Escape Shuttle and hallway. it makes so much more sense then having a bunch of doors ni the shuttle itself. Will we have a chance to try the new station out soon?
I just wanted to confirm that the reskinned meteors that were escape shuttles worked perfectly, and I think the high velocity crate will be great. I confirmed this after taking catching two of these shuttles in the face after running into them.
Another update before I go the hell to bed:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89619796/v087.png

[Image: VxFAw.png]

Changes: changed escape layout, got rid of the QM supply shuttle and replaced it with a high-velocity deep-space delivery system - mishaps might include supply crates smashing through walls. Shrunk medbay, shrunk a few more hallways down, and a bunch of other small stuff.
I haven't really looked at the other posts in this thread, but I gotta say Cogwerks, this station looks awesome. I particularly like how the boxing ring has a more gritty feel than the current boxing ring which looks too safe. Strangling someone to death after a successful knockout there will feel all the more satisfying because of this, it usually feels wrong because the boxing ring is so nice and official, now every fight is a fight club match! On the other hand, I am deeply disturbed that the HoS's office does not contain any spaghetti at the moment, this could very well cause the whole station to fall apart. THIS SHOULD BE FIXED IMMEDIATELY.
kyle2143 Wrote:I haven't really looked at the other posts in this thread, but I gotta say Cogwerks, this station looks awesome. I particularly like how the boxing ring has a more gritty feel than the current boxing ring which looks too safe. Strangling someone to death after a successful knockout there will feel all the more satisfying because of this, it usually feels wrong because the boxing ring is so nice and official, now every fight is a fight club match! On the other hand, I am deeply disturbed that the HoS's office does not contain any spaghetti at the moment, this could very well cause the whole station to fall apart. THIS SHOULD BE FIXED IMMEDIATELY.

This is r4407 code still, I don't think the spaghetti exists yet. I haven't really gotten into populating the station with all the random items, lights, wires, APCs, and disposals pipes yet - if this map gets approved, I'll probably just hand it off to someone who has more experience with getting all that stuff working.
This is really neat! Any chance it'll ever get in and replace awful mushroom?