Carlos Faraday HoS Application
Usual character name: Carlos Faraday, Jesse Faden, Matt Dude

BYOND username: LazyBatman

Discord username (if you are on our discord): TurtleKnight

Recommended by (if applicable): n/a

Goon servers you play: Morty and sometimes Heisenbee

Reason for application: Having an HoS on the team can be something to look forward to as a security member. HoSs are a vital part of the communication chain between security and command as a whole. An HoS is an experienced player that other security members can rely on when it comes to training new security members, de-escalating, and keeping a level head even when half the station is otherwise breached to space or on fire. Antags can also count on an HoS to be fair while making sure that everyone is having fun and feels included. Everyone should have a chance to be a part of the story of a round. 

Security experience (300 word minimum): I was first introduced to space station 13 when a friend introduced me to goonstation. I started by playing as the janitor role and I liked it because there was not much expected from me, and it gave me some room to RP and interact with other departments when they let me in to clean places. That role also had janitorial and some medical access so I would just roam around those areas looking for a chance to RP. When I first started playing security, I thought it was pretty similar to janitor in that you are expected to patrol around areas and do your job, but part of your job is also to interact with people and other departments.  Part of the reason I like to play security is due to how reliant on the social aspect of the game playing security on RP can be. It is important to stay in contact with your team to make sure everyone Is on the same page. It is also important to maintain interaction with the crew by walking around public areas like the bar or general departments to check on how they are doing. When bringing someone in for questioning or searching them it’s important to communicate how they are connected to a crime and what evidence in particular connects them. I try my best to stay in contact with my team and keep them in the loop when I am investigating something that happened or when I am just bored, I will try and strike up a conversation about literally anything over the radio. Whenever I join a round as security, I will usually start the round by saying hello to everyone over the security channel and then head to security to grab my gear. Once I do that, I will remind everyone to label their security pinpointers and leave their disk on the table. After that I will go out on patrol near medical or the bar and see if I can start up a conversation. When searching prisoners, I never take their PDA because that kind of locks them out of doing their job which is to make the round interesting and I try to leave them with some of the contraband if it is not too dangerous or they can think up a good excuse for what it is. Oh, that chameleon remote control… that is just my lucky TV remote I keep with me at all times. When a member of the crew commits a crime, it is important to start out by talking whenever possible and let the other person escalate (or not) how they want. This gives them a chance to do their gimmick and talking to them will give me an idea of what that gimmick involves and how I can add to it. 

Answer two or more of the following:
What advice would you give to other sec players? 

Don’t run around the station with your taser or baton out unless there's an active threat. Unless you don't mind slipping on some water or ice that some assistant left behind and losing your gear to a random assistant or even worse… the clown. Always good practice to put your taser away when you are not actively using it. 
Whenever you are in a fight try to evaluate what you gain from winning/losing that fight as well as the status of your health bar and how geared the other party in a fight is. If you are outnumbered or they have too much gear to deal with it might be better to run from a fight if no other crew is in danger, then die and let your security belt fall into the wrong hands. 

Always try to resolve things by talking it out first. Even if the other guys don’t agree or listen it makes for great back and forth RP and makes moments in the round more memorable.

Remember to take breaks. Chasing after the antag all the time can be tiring. Go to the bar and talk to the crew. Go to medical and get healed up. Go to sec and see how the other officers are doing while you charge your gear. Think of this like the down time in movies whenever there is a break from the action.

You are not always going to be able to please everyone, but It Is important to try and find a solution that fits everyone's needs. The assistant that broke into medbay to steal a circlersaw for self-defense might not be happy you are arresting them, but the doctors will. Sometimes It will not be possible to please everyone so It is important to be able and ready to defend your decision to others if they should ask and keep everyone involved including the person you are arresting informed.

What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
One time on server 3 I was hanging out in security as a security officer with another officer named Cem. We both got a critical condition alert that told us our HoS was in critical condition at that one derelict candy shop in space. We HoP in a sec pod to go save them. When we get there we find the HoS going in and out of consciousness in the middle of the candy shop as well as a conspirator with a derringer in hand standing next to him and the mime. I got out of the pod and we started talking to the guy with the deranger asking what had happened and found out that apparently the HoS had been kidnapped and the conspirators had been force feeding him candy as part of some kind of interrogation so the HoS went into Hypoglycemic shock. After a bit of talking the conspirator ran off and tried to get away in a pod. Cem chased after them while I attempted to get the HoS and mime in a pod and back to the station so we could take the HoS to medbay. 

Another time on server one during my first traitor round I was just messing around with traitor gear and using the mustache bomb grenade to give people forced facial hair. An HoS chased me down and flashed me until I was stunned. I had pulled the pin on my last grenade right before he stunned me so the HoS just backed up and let the grenade go off. Afterwards they didn't even brig me. Just did the little flip emote and walked away. I was just left there thinking “what a chad”. It was too funny not to mention here. That moment always lives rent free in my head whenever I'm playing as sec and it is something that stuck with me for a long time. 

Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer. 
When part of a full security team I feel comfortable relying on them and calling for backup whenever I feel I need help or I am dealing with a conflict between two crewmembers and I need a second pair of ears to make sense of things. When I’m not part of a full security team it can feel kinda overwhelming because I know I have no back up and if I die then there is no one else to protect the station or make sure my cloning disk is taken to medbay so I try to play more carefully. 

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run? 
I want to do a gimmick one day where everyone in security dresses up as cowboys and we all speak in a wild west accent like from one of those old western movies and just refuse to elaborate. I think it would be funny to see the crew confused on why all of the security officers are just dressed as and talking like cowboys as if they all went through a time machine. Could even decorate the brig to be more western like. 

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): n/a 

a fancy greater domestic space-bee space bear a fancy greater domestic space-bee
I'm not quite sure what your 'reason for application' is, it just seems to be listing what you think a Head of Security does. I've played with you in-game, you are a decent Officer from what I've seen but I can't remember you teaching or leading much at all. In the most recent round I can remember you used an RCD to get into AI Upload as a Captain, believing the AI was rogue. The AI at the time was running on default Laws, aside from a Freeform declaring a Traitor dangerous and to be reported and a Hologram Module. After removing them you declared the AI 'fixed' despite little being wrong with the Laws. I think this shows that you have potential, and could definitely make a good Head of Security at some point. I just think you might need some refinement and showing other players that you can teach or lead.
We really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to a lack of positive feedback. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be April 10, 2024. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep sec officering!