Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Season thread
With it still being autumn season, i thought it would be good time to refine the idea of the 4 seasons a bit more.

The purpose of this thread is to reach a consensus on 2 things: when each season should start and end, and what the seasons should look like. Any conversation on github will inevitably have almost entirely coders with the occasional spriter.

Due to the international nature of well the internet and due to the diversity of nature, people will have very different experiences of the 4 seasons.

When should each season be:
My suggestion is to use the meteorological seasons in the northern hemisphere (sorry southern hemisphere and anyone living really north). It should be about right for most people

What should each season look like:
I suggest we copy Stardew Valley.
Flowers blooming and grass being slightly yellowish in summer
Plants and grass being mostly covered in snow during winter

Also any ideas on what should be part of seasons is appreciated
Technically the 4 seasons already exist, I just have them set up simply (each is 3 months). Only autumn has significant amounts of changes, though.
kind of against foliage changing color EVERY season just because, as someone who sprited some of that, I like the colors I used and I want people to be able to see those colors most of the year
As the person who implemented the current autumn stuff, I think spring/summer/late winter should be more or less 'normal' with more minor changes. It's good if the regular look of the station is how it looks most of the time, which highlights the fun seasonal times. Maybe some flowers here and there (a chance to spawn on grass maybe?) for spring and something equally minimal for summer, so those both feel like Default Times. Also I intend to draw up a clown outfit for each season so they always have something appropriate to wear if they want, since I imagine them as the type to always be in holiday spirit even when it's like, the holiday of Being June.
(11-24-2023, 09:46 AM)Waffleloffle Wrote: kind of against foliage changing color EVERY season just because, as someone who sprited some of that, I like the colors I used and I want people to be able to see those colors most of the year

I do like the color change, but I think we could diversify the kinds of trees and plants we have available.

Maybe some flowering ones in spring, some fruit bearing ones.

Outside of foliage, maybe some rotational items and discounts on the market and vending machines, minor variations. Maybe changes in the background like the location of stars and planets
If this was done I would recommend not doing it to the ranch, snow would make seeing most feed incredibly hard.

Its also possible to compromise...have it cause effects primarily in the owlry/aviary?

..maybe put a light switch in there.

Possibly add season actions? A bon fire in fall making snowballs in winter, etc.

Could do a seasonal vendor that provides seasonal items at the clothing booth, and have it heavily over charge outside the season. That could be a place for seasonal food ingreediants or toy items? Like marshmellows waterballons or gingerbread?

...gingerbread could be lumps that you could form into shapes, and clown and chef could make gingerbread animals?

Spitballung really
I'm actually working on some ginger and gingerbread-related stuff at the moment, though it's much more standard in scope and also a year-round thing