Chasu's mentor application.
Smile 
Usual character name: Chasu Finley

BYOND username: NotChasuX5

Discord username (if you are on our discord): chasu82

Recommended by: Nobody whose name I remember

Goon servers you play: Mainly Morty, occasionally Sylvester

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):

On this day, two years ago, I played my first ever round of Space Station 13. It was chaotic, I was overwhelmed and didn't understand what was happening at all. Initially, it was disappointing, but a week or so later, I gave it another try. I created my character and selected a cool-sounding job, Geneticist. I knew nothing about what to expect, but luckily, I wasn't alone in the lab; there was another player with me. Over the course of the following weeks, they taught me the intricacies of researching and modifying genes, and guided me through all the basics of SS13. Without them and their willingness to help, I would've most likely spaced myself on accident and given up on the game entirely. As I continued playing and learning, I tried new jobs and departments and there was always someone who could help me out with just about anything. Now, over 1400 hours later, I often find myself being that person. Someone who can share their knowledge with less experienced players and help them find their own solution to a problem, like setting up the engine for the first time or leveling the medbay with a TTV analyzing artifacts. Speaking of game experience...

Civillian:

Despite not actively playing in this department, besides as Staff Assistant,
I do know the basics of cooking, bartending and hydroponics. I have never created any mind-bending foods or fruits, but I have mixed the one or other secret cocktail. As a Janitor, I know how to use the tools at my disposal (pun intended) effectively and efficiently to clean any mess likely to be encountered on the station.

Security:

Probably my second-least played department at the moment. When I play as a Security Officer, I try to maintain a consistent level of communication and encourage RP, especially with antagonists. I know how to use the equipment, how to arrest someone properly and I understand the forensic system. Lately, I have been avoiding playing a role in this department due to it sometimes being stressful for me (especially on server 3) and because I've been focusing on expanding my knowledge in other departments.

Engineering:

As an Engineer, I usually go beyond the basic system and try advanced setups. I know how to power the station using the TEG, solars, the singularity, the nuclear reactor, Nadir's catalytic generators and Oshan's geothermal vent capturing system. I used to play as Mechanic a lot, when the job still was around. This gained me a lot of experience in packet hacking on wired and wireless networks, as well as DWAINE scripting and MechComp, which I have used for things like fully automatic energy turrets turbine control systems for the Nuclear reactor's turbine. As Quartermaster, I am able to consistently reach +1 million credits by the end of the shift and know all the systems involved in buying and selling goods. I'm also a decent miner and understand the MatSci mechanics.

Medical:

For my first year of playing SS13, I had almost never played a role in medical, except Geneticist. I got the hang of it fairly quickly, and now I can do surgeries, organ transplants, etc.. As Roboticist, I know how to assemble and modify cyborgs and their modules and can also augment the crew if needed. I tend to avoid playing as medical doctor for the same reasons as security, those being stress and the fact that I'm easily overwhelmed when there's too much happening.

Research:

By far my most-played department. I know how to decode the telepad's offsets and have visited (not finished!) every azone that I know of. In Toxins, I can produce very high-power TTVs and have made successful canister and single tank bombs. I have spent most of my hours in this department on artifact research and am capable of identifying all artifact types through various meth > Fay: ods. I am familiar with the "new" chemistry system and the tools that came with it, and can produce ~100u of meth per minute with the right setup, though I'm a lot slower with boring medical chems. I know how to use Nadir's harmonic ore siphon to supply engineering with any required ore and keep a list of resonator setups for the most important materials. I have taught many people the basic and advanced use of the Siphon.

Now, I'm not perfect, nobody is. I often tend to react and communicate impulsively, and while I try to maintain a positive attitude and stay level-headed at all times, sometimes my mood shines through into what I say. There is room for improvement, and I'll use it.

Despite that, I believe that I'd be a good fit for the mentor position because of my ability of giving others the tools they need for the solution and letting them figure it out their own way. I regularly visit Goonstation's GitHub page to inform myself about potential future changes and remain up to date. Even when I'm not actively playing, I answer questions in the Discord's #ss13_questions channel to the best of my abilities. I'm always looking for direct feedback on what I can do to improve my behavior, methods and skills.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):

I have had multiple small run-ins with the admins over the years, but the amount has exponentially decreased the longer I've played.
The only actual ban I've recieved was a 30-day ban ~3-4 months after I started, for cheating. (Specifically, trying to make pathology machinery create chems it was not intended to make by modifying byond cache)
great presence in-game, as well as a friendly presence on the Discord. I've seen them help their fair share of new people (and me on occasion when I still played on 3) with patience and friendliness.

no complaints from me. +1
10 outta 10 for Chasu! Working with them in security has always been an easy going experience and certainly someone I'd be happy to go to for advice!

+1
I think Chasu could make a good mentor since I did saw them in every departement
+1
Little note: I made a typo on my discord username, it's actually chasu81
I've seen you in the discord a decent bit, and you're nice to see in game. While I haven't seen (probably due to me playing less) you teach myself, I have heard of you teaching things like the siphon a good couple of times. If that's the norm for Chasu, then sure! Seems like she'd be a good fit.
I've seen Chasu in game, and they have a friendly presence. I think they would be a good fit for mentor. +1.
I've never directly seen chasu traching in game, but chasu specialized in area's i rarely go.

Usually considerate, plays fair, never rude. I see no reason why not
Just today they practically taught me from the ground up on how to set up a wayyy bigger singularity, and I only nearly accidentally killed them 3 times, which is a new personal record.
Plus, I see them all the time anyways - on security they're an especially competent co-worker.
Really good technique for teaching, friendly too - keep it up! 
space bear space bear space bear space bear   +1
I've interacted with Chasu a fair bit, always a pleasant character, lending a helping hand when needed or teaching newbees the ropes. +1 from me, knows her stuff.
Friendly, inclusive, has experience in just about every department and more than willing to share it. Showed another scientist and I how to make TTVs the other week, was very patient with our clueless butts the whole time. +1, would build bombs with them again.
Witnessed Chasu teach a few new scientists, and be pretty helpful in the discord.
Looks to me they will be a great mentor!
After review of community feedback and internal deliberation, we have accepted your application to become a mentor. Congrats! Please familiarize yourself with our Mentor Guidelines and reach out anytime if you have any concerns or questions.