Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Traitor Tier List by Occupation: HoP trader op nerf pls
No one asked for it, but this is what the tier list for traitors looks like, when ranked by occupation...but first I'll explain myself.

A tier list is basically a ranking of things based on their purported strength when compared to others. That's to say, things higher on a tier list will be better than those lower in similar situations.

Here's what I think it looks like:

TOP Tier - The best jobs to be picked as a traitor...
*Heads of Staff (Captain, HoP, CE, RD), Subverted AI/Cyborg

HIGH Tier - Good jobs that are great for traitor...
*Scientist, Engineer, Electrician, Quartermaster, Traitors who've been transferred to work Sec.

MID Tier - These jobs can get the task done, with somewhat more effort...
*Botanist, Chaplain, Medical Doctor, Geneticist, Roboticist, Detective

LOW Tier - These jobs are tricky to get traitoring done with...
*Chef, Bartender, Assistants, Miner, Janitor

Of course, this tier list doesn't really take any given objectives into account. Anyone with an e-sword can probably get assassination easily or theft with an e-mag simply enough, regardless of their occupation. This is meant to be a list for traitoring in general.

Things considered were levels of access, job-specific traitor items, inconspicuousness, objective completion potential, and generally overall collateral potential.

For example, scientists are probably the least inconspicuous, but rank highly on collateral for their access to plasma bomb making, chemical weapons, as well as an unfairly large amount of syndicate scientist items at their disposal to choose from.

You may agree to disagree, but I doubt that I'm off by any large margin.
There's also the factor that if you're a head of staff and a traitor, you're under a lot of scrutiny for the power you have. If an assistant clobbers someone in the maintenance, that's just normal day on SS13. But if a captain clobbers someone there, he's either mad with power or traitor and you get the righteous fury of the station on you lot harder.
*Chef,

Have you ever been a traitor chef?? noone cares if you're carrying bodies around, even fewer will care if there are gibs and blood all over you kitchen, and the butchers knife is robust as hell!
Why is the Miner on the low tier? The miner has access to a space suit which gives him a big advantage. Also the Chaplain is on the mid tier? He only has one good rampage weapon which kills him anyways.
I would argue that Janitor is higher than you think. Spray bottles can be filled with boiling Discount Dan's for a very nasty weapon, plus you can always put in other chems too. Not to mention filling a sprayer with water and carrying a cyalume saber and radio jammer. If you get lucky, you can use a mess as an excuse to get the AI to let you into places it wouldn't normally.
MID Tier - These jobs can get the task done, with somewhat more effort...
*Botanist, Chaplain,

A botanist is pretty much exactly the same as an Assistant in all fairness. Botany is nerfed to utter shit, even cyanide is pretty much useless and with the Bar-Botany door anyone can jump in to try their hand or ruin your shit. The chainsaw is nice, but it's not all that high above a csword. Maneaters are more for fun.

Along with that, the Chaplain and by extension the Artbox-Chaplain are vastly over-rated; two lasers still kill you dead, as will enough of the Detective's revolver shots. Along with that you are so amazingly conspicuous it's not even possible to try hide, and with no maintenance access, you are very limited in your escape routes in case the lasers start flying. Should probably be Low tier.

*Chef

The Butcher's Knife is utterly fantastic. They deserve Mid tier at least.
I've cleaned the station of anyone but myself as a traitor chef using nothing but a butchers knife and a radio jammer a couple of times. This was at 50 or so players too.

IMO chef is the easiest job to be traitor as.
Quote:A botanist is pretty much exactly the same as an Assistant in all fairness. Botany is nerfed to utter shit, even cyanide is pretty much useless and with the Bar-Botany door anyone can jump in to try their hand or ruin your shit. The chainsaw is nice, but it's not all that high above a csword. Maneaters are more for fun.

What.... I love botanist traitor it's probably one of the funnest kills you can do with botany traitor. Cyanide+Pen=Happiness watch as all un suspecting crew members drop dead and everyone is confused why. No one ever suspects the greensuited botanist
Sitoutumaton Wrote:There's also the factor that if you're a head of staff and a traitor, you're under a lot of scrutiny for the power you have.

They may not rank highly on inconspicuousness, but they definitely have the power and access to make others do as they wish or otherwise bend things in their favor. For such reasons, I am to consider them easy occupations to get your objectives done as, whenever you aren't violently murdered for your jumpsuit or ID.

FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:Why is the Miner on the low tier?

Miner begins off-station with a space suit right off the bat and can order explosives to destroy parts of the station as they see fit. Barring that, there's not much going for them. They can fab RCDs, steal the magboots rather easily if they're quick, and easily let loose the engine since they can get close enough to it from their dock to the station. However all of this doesn't make up for their other negative attributes.

Their tools aren't very potent, the bombs are quite expensive, and a miner going off the platform for anything other than getting medical attention or whatever is going to look suspicious, particularly if they're flying around the station Z-level where people can see them. Perhaps they deserve higher, but I'm not seeing it.

Dachshundofdoom Wrote:I would argue that Janitor is higher than you think..

Janitor was another one that I found difficult to rank.

He can slip people with plain water and/or get a super-heated chem bottle, but other than that he's not much better than an assistant. He probably is good for being sneaky though, as part of his job is to go around and clean up, even if he's not usually allowed to go there. You could wipe floors with flammable liquids and then set the place on fire for a while.

Janitor can also clean up their own crimes rather easily in comparison to others, so perhaps Janitor is better than 'low'. The addition of the trashcart compactor does make up for the loss of the porta-poo, but I wouldn't say it's enough to jump him up a tier. Syndicate cleaner grenades definitely hurt however.

Weavel Wrote:...Should probably be Low tier.
I think Hydroponics has a slightly better amount of things to mess around with than an assistant (poisons, maneater, hydro itself), while the Chaplain only has his special toolbox to fall back on. Other than that, there's not much keeping both of them above low tier - perhaps they're lower-mid tier if we were really to compartmentalize them.

Artbox is perhaps the best job-specific traitor item, right behind the Engi Sing-Bomb and the Electrician Syndi-Scanner. MKD is terrible to get and will outright kill anyone who has it eventually. As you keep feeding the box, it gets much stronger and eventually little else than a ranged attack can stop you.

If Chap didn't have his artbox, he'd be considered bottom tier, worse than anyone else if just for his lack of access and what-not. Then again, he's not very conspicuous - of all the people to suspect, the chaplain is probably the last person on the station to accuse of being a syndicate. Of course, this spot is assuming the chap's using the artbox, so he probably isn't going to try and hide the fact he's at odds with the station.

Klayboxx Wrote:IMO chef is the easiest job to be traitor as.
Chef isn't bad if your objective/goal is to kill people, but good luck doing anything else. If you're spending more time outside of your kitchen than in, questions will be raised. You can usually get off fine dragging bodies around since no one really cares if the chef or a doctor is doing it.

You'll be very suspicious out of the kitchen and lots of other things that don't involve butchering others will be difficult. Still, it's perhaps one of the more fun traitor jobs, since you can be discreet about it by poisoning everyone with exotic ingredients (or just bad cooking) and then stabbing the gagging, retching messes into meat slabs.
Val Wrote:MKD is terrible to get and will outright kill anyone who has it eventually.
For what it's worth, it's entirely possible to survive MKD for a round if you have a job that keeps you on the station and access to a medbot. On 3 different rounds I've had MKD for 30+ minutes as a Roboticist, Scientist, and Botanist and survived because I had a medbot in my work zone. I'd take a lot of damage over that time, sure, but my medbot would always heal me back up before I ever hit yellow.

The point is almost academic because I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who ever takes the time to produce enough medbots to hit my crew objective when I'm Roboticist. But it's worth noting that if you get access to a medbot somehow, MKD is completely survivable as long as you don't go spacewalking.
what is it with peoples incessant need to organize things into groups and tiers? this isn't super smash bros.
Oddball Wrote:what is it with peoples incessant need to organize things into groups and tiers? this isn't super smash bros.
In all fairness that Super Smash Bros tier list is bullshit. I can't understand for the life of me why Meta-Knight is Godlike.
Winged_Chiller Wrote:
Oddball Wrote:what is it with peoples incessant need to organize things into groups and tiers? this isn't super smash bros.
In all fairness that Super Smash Bros tier list is bullshit. I can't understand for the life of me why Meta-Knight is Godlike.

Luigi 4 lyfe
Kirby is the clear winner

I like fighting games. And I also have a habit for organizing things into lists and data.

Also stop derailing my thread you shits.

This is my revised tier list for SS13 occupations when they get traitor. You guys should take a crack at it.

Captain, HoP, RD, CE, AI

HIGH
Engineer, Scientist, those with sec access

U. MID
Electrician, Quartermaster, Roboticist

MID
Medical Doctor, Geneticist, Detective

L. MID
Botanist, Janitor, Miner, Chef

LOW
Bartender, Assistants, Chaplain

Same things were considered as last time, with even more tiers added to reflect the nature of their positions and how it affects their objectives. Most common objectives are assassination, theft, sabotage, and survival. This was also taken into consideration of how easy it is for them to do any of them, but not any one in particular. Maybe there can be tiers for each individual type of objective?