Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PR] Remove "too dazed to use" from obj/machinery/attack_hand()
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[Balance][Bug][Player Actions]
About the PR

This removes the "too dazed to use" message when interacting with machines.

Previously, this message would appear if you had 60 or more brain damage, or at a braindamage% rate below that.
This message appears to be intended to also block interaction with the machine, but I personally cannot remember a time in which that actually worked on the majority of machines.

After checking (I think) everything on devtest with 70 brain damage, I found that while a couple dozen things prompted this message, only the cryo healing tube, data bank, and the old artifact lab gizmo actually blocked my interaction.

Here was me running around clicking things until I found something that blocked interaction.
[Image: de219065-4c2a-4cca-bdbc-6ebe74075409]

Why's this needed?
I do not feel this currently contributes anything to the game, that it's bugged state should be fixed somehow, and that honestly there would be no benefit or fun derived from fixing it to block interaction fully.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Mylie Daniels
(+)Brain damage no longer causes a message when interacting with machinery.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
I think having too much brain damage should be punished massively. And i think that being unable to work on machines (like running against doors) is a valid mechanic to do that. High brain damage effects are like a crit state.

Having that said, the thing is inconsistent as hell. So instead if removing it the code in question should be commented out, pending a rework.
just gut it, it's not fun or intuitive
I agree with cal
Yeah, thinking we can get rid of this without thinking twice. Leaves room for something more interesting or impactful in a way that isn't being annoying (No clue what tbh)
The existing behavior gives weight to having brain damage.
The existing behavior gives a reason to engage with the medical team.

Is the immediate effect fun? Maybe not but it pushes engagement with fellow players.

I think this an issue in that the child types that aren't leveraging the parent call to provide consistent behavior. Also tgui-fication may have inadvertently shifted things.

The statements that the behavior is unintuitive makes me think that the message provided to the players could do with some more specificity.
Don't remove things without having an alternative to add in as a replacement. That's my way of thinking at least.
The thing with this is it's both a clue that you have brain damage and also an impetus to, you know, getting it fixed. given that a lot of brain poison chems are silent suddenly finding you're having trouble interacting with things is a real big clue that something is very wrong
I am with the devs on this one. Making hints like those makes sense you are too brain damaged... And one mannitol fixes it.
Maybe we can add more flavor text you have brain damage when it hits certain thresholds.

Like let's say:
"You feel a sting to the head."
then you get:
"You feel a pounding on your head"
and such...

But I agree with this being a good way to tell you: "Why the F are you still here?! Get a mannitol"
I do hate when you have high brain damage you can't even open doors that well and you hurt yourself, but that only happens if I LET IT happen.
Id kinda like that instead of the "you're dazed" its first effect was basically giving us thrall arms. We get an action bar for everything
Yeah I'd rather just fix it, brain damage being more than an invisible kill timer is good.
(11-16-2023, 01:49 AM)Silent Majority Wrote: Id kinda like that instead of the "you're dazed" its first effect was basically giving us thrall arms. We get an action bar for everything

this is briliant. It shows you are slown down and in a "zombie like" state.
This also buffs thralls to an extent since they can claim braindamage and braindamaged players are as slow as thralls.
(11-16-2023, 04:10 AM)Kotlol Wrote:
(11-16-2023, 01:49 AM)Silent Majority Wrote: Id kinda like that instead of the "you're dazed" its first effect was basically giving us thrall arms. We get an action bar for everything

this is briliant. It shows you are slown down and in a "zombie like" state.
This also buffs thralls to an extent since they can claim braindamage and braindamaged players are as slow as thralls.

I like this too. Essentially - thralls just have permanent brain damage.
(And move the thrall effects to brain damage.)
Oh and at higher brain damage slur the voice or make it gurgle? These arent bad ideas at all. It would give a thrall slightly more of a passing chance.
high brain damage already fucks up your speech and makes you talk on the radio when you don't intentionally do it. every now and then i see someone wondering why they're speaking on the radio or saying "Me head hurty"