Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nerf the ID wire
(11-10-2023, 06:32 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: If you make it harder to hack a door I'll just go through the wall.
this is fine. in fact, it is healthier that doors are harder to break through than walls, given that we have a separate tier of wall that, is harder to break through than doors.

just remove the ID wire, add another zappy one back. the other pro-id-wire concerns seem better addressed with separate fixes/changes.
(11-12-2023, 04:02 PM)TDHooligan Wrote:
(11-10-2023, 06:32 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: If you make it harder to hack a door I'll just go through the wall.
this is fine. in fact, it is healthier that doors are harder to break through than walls, given that we have a separate tier of wall that, is harder to break through than doors.

just remove the ID wire, add another zappy one back. the other pro-id-wire concerns seem better addressed with separate fixes/changes.

You forget the days where people would just make thermite to burn through the walls to get to places.
(11-13-2023, 07:30 AM)KikiMofo Wrote:
(11-12-2023, 04:02 PM)TDHooligan Wrote:

You forget the days where people would just make thermite to burn through the walls to get to places.

yes, that's why thermite is a giant pain in the ass to make now!
I can't hack the door? I break the wall.
Yea guess what? That leaves a huge evidence trial...

Also walls are easier to fix then doors. Unless it breaches.

Also thermite is chemical only. So only the bar and science has it and if you waste your science antagging for Thermite...you can do much more dangerous then that.

So essentially Thermite is... harder to access then hacking the door and cutting the ID wire. Wich any civilian can do by just printing a screwdriver and wireclippers.
Thus removing the ID wire makes hacking leave bigger traces, insted of "This door works fine for anyone but no one checks it"

It would be just annoying for security to ask for a no access ID to see wich doors function as suppose to as well as engineering having to do this...

TL;DR:
The ID wire is too strong and won't be noticed until someone accidentally opens the door they can't normally open. If you want to counteract it...it requires someone with a "Null ID" to rub every door on the station constantly to find out if a door has been tampered with.
A null ID is simply hiding your ID in your backpack, don't need a special one.
(11-13-2023, 02:59 PM)Zombie Wrote: A null ID is simply hiding your ID in your backpack, don't need a special one.

Even so.. it's tedium.
The effort to cut the ID wire vs finding out wich doors are hacked is more work then anything.

Once that wire is found... people can go anywhere with just two tools.
(11-12-2023, 04:02 PM)TDHooligan Wrote: this is fine. in fact, it is healthier that doors are harder to break through than walls, given that we have a separate tier of wall that, is harder to break through than doors.

You see, you just pointed at the problem. The design problem is not the ID-wire, it is using the same doors for high-security areas and for the clown hole.

I think many people won't have any problem at all if high security areas are harder to break into. People got mostly a problem with common areas.
I think there should be a welder action at the start, like weakening the cover to the access panel. This could be a timed action like 2-3 seconds and can be repairable with a single sheet of metal, that also takes 2-3 seconds to replace. This would mean if you want to effectively hack without leaving much of a trace you will need to carry at least a welder and a metal sheet, plus waste additional 6 seconds sitting infront of a door performing an interruptible action that can give away what you're up to.

For high security doors, there should be an alarm and a requirement to cut additional wires in order to get access. For example, to get thru the armory door you now need to cut the alarm wire and 2 access wires, if you pulse the alarm wire it will blare out for 5-9 seconds. If you cut the access wire while the alarm wire is still intact it will blare out for 30 seconds.

EDIT: For the first idea, if the cover is missing it would be very obvious and inspecting the door it would let you know that the cover has been removed.