Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Smart Tools (for engineers only)
I've thought up an idea to make mass-building less boring for Engineers, what if the tools Engineers spawned with were "smart"? Not quicker, not higher-capacity, but any action that involves an actionbar with that tool could be activated normally, but would keep going even after the tool started working on it.

Imagine an engineer wanted to secure a row of un-secured girders. It would be extremely boring to manually wrench each one, so the engineer could just click on each one (or only 3 at a time, for balancing purposes) and building things would be much less boring!
....You can already do multiplue of these things as once as an engineer.
actually they removed alot of stuff you can do at the same time

E.g. Reinforced floors

I think what this means is being able to use a screwdriver on 3 windows at the same time etc. So it isnt 1 at a time. The only things as far as im aware that you can use a wrench on for example on multiple is chairs. oh and the RCD you can do multiple things but thats about it
(11-05-2023, 12:11 PM)Frolicsome Flufficorn Wrote: I think what this means is being able to use a screwdriver on 3 windows at the same time etc. So it isnt 1 at a time. The only things as far as im aware that you can use a wrench on for example on multiple is chairs. oh and the RCD you can do multiple things but thats about it

I can really only think of something like this cropping up if you're trying to expand the station, or space the station as an antag. Handy to have, but building is the part that takes the longest and you already do that at double speed.

If we're going to have a smart anything, I'd rather have a smart welder. Welding down walls to open up new spaces takes ALOT of time, so doing it any faster, or even leaving it on a wall while it happens, would be a fantastic timesave and help get those expansions out there
To be honest, we don't need smart tools. Construction in itself should not be so insufferable cumbersome in general.

Like i am not even joking when i said the engineering-training construction times should be the standard fir everyone and building (not deconstruction) should be additionally accelerated for engineers.

Beyond that, cobstruction is needed of some qol shortcuts (like reinforcing already constructed walls somehow). But we got another thread for ut already and i don't think even more tool juggling would help in any shape or form.
yeah i was admittedly surprised that multi-building was removed. always felt like it was a "weird thing that exists because it's better than slowing down construction", but weird things are generally getting wiped out because they dont make sense (latest example being washing foods in sinks). idk.

i wouldnt mind RCDs just getting a 'deconstruct-less' copy for regular engineers to quickly hook up new walls. Or even a look into making ABCUs more usable in general
I would rather not have it that every engineer can build a wall fast... we know what happens with rogue ghostdrones.
We don't need every engineer to do the same.

THAT SAID... I wouldn't mind the concept of it.. but the execution needs to be CHANGED IMMIDENTLY.

So what I recommend is the fact only CE's can mark where to build walls with a special tool and the "RCD-" that engineering has can only used on those spots.
Since it will also contain every original spot of a wall or window.. it will allow engineers to fix walls and windows with ease using this RCD.
But... disallow any grieving without stealing that Marker device from the CE.
(11-06-2023, 05:37 AM)Kotlol Wrote: I would rather not have it that every engineer can build a wall fast... we know what happens with rogue ghostdrones.

THAT SAID... I wouldn't mind the concept of it.. but the execution needs to be CHANGED IMMIDENTLY.

So what I recommend is the fact only CE's can mark where to build walls with a special tool and the "RCD-" that engineering has can only used on those spots.
Since it will also contain every original spot of a wall or window.. it will allow engineers to fix walls and windows with ease using this RCD.
But... disallow any grieving without stealing that Marker device from the CE.

I like that last idea. having it so the station has a "blueprint" so that if for example a TTV went off engineers could follow that blueprint to perfectly fix explosions etc. Would make it so the balance of destruction to repair would be a bit more well balanced. Im all for it!
(11-06-2023, 05:37 AM)Kotlol Wrote: I would rather not have it that every engineer can build a wall fast... we know what happens with rogue ghostdrones.

We have engi borgs running around with full powered RCD's and mostly don't run into issues like that.
(11-06-2023, 07:30 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote:

We have engi borgs running around with full powered RCD's and mostly don't run into issues like that.

That's cause
A: Borgs must listen to laws.
B: Playing a borg is complicated.
C: Someone is breaking walls.. must be a RCD user. Ain't the CE.. so it must be a borg. "Kill command borg instantly" problem solved.

It's easy to find out who's using RCDs to be a griever. It's either the CE one or the EVA one or a Borg.

But give it to any player who can be engineer and they spawn with it? Suddenly that number skyrockets.
Unless it's limited amount as well, but then we have to deal with RCD players regardless.

Ghostdrone spamming is luckily easily blocked, but it used to be every round with a normal RCD.

This is why I want it to be limited to "selective spots" , since we don't want to devalue the actual RCD and at the same time stop anyone who wants to grief as an engineer.
And as far as I know... Engineering is not the most filled slot of all time.
The thread has diverted a lot from it's original topic. My original idea was doing multiple things at once, and being able to move around as those things happen. The RCD idea may be moved to another thread.