Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Allow cyborgs to attach limbs to other cyborgs.
There have been plenty occasions where the cyborgs are left to fend for themselves when it comes to missing limbs, and as its already possible for a cyborg to auto-amputate their limbs with the multi tool; it would be a boon to the borgs if they could attach limbs to each-other in their time of need. This would also have the benefit of taking some of the workload off the roboticist as the borgs could shoulder the burden of working on one another.

In addition it would make rogue borgs more of a threat as they could undo much of the damage wrought upon them by the crew; thereby providing more impetus to fix the laws that have allowed this situation in the first place.
Cyborgs needing humans to create more of them/replace parts is an intentional design choice.
No, cyborgs self-sufficiencey is not something we want. Roboticists should be a part of the process.
(10-19-2023, 11:58 AM)Phrogge Wrote: There have been plenty occasions where the cyborgs are left to fend for themselves when it comes to missing limbs, and as its already possible for a cyborg to auto-amputate their limbs with the multi tool; it would be a boon to the borgs if they could attach limbs to each-other in their time of need. This would also have the benefit of taking some of the workload off the roboticist as the borgs could shoulder the burden of working on one another.

In addition it would make rogue borgs more of a threat as they could undo much of the damage wrought upon them by the crew; thereby providing more impetus to fix the laws that have allowed this situation in the first place.

An overworked roboticist? I have never heard of such a thing. All my shifts as roboticist I can fuck off and do whatever I want after the initial 10 minutes.

Borgs can already self-repair all but broken limbs, either in docking station or if only armor damage they can weld eachother.
Maybe the Roboticist or another human could stuff some spare limbs into cyborg docks. The Borg could go in and replace their limb with one in the reserve, or swap their parts out with what's available
(10-19-2023, 04:46 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Maybe the Roboticist or another human could stuff some spare limbs into cyborg docks. The Borg could go in and replace their limb with one in the reserve, or swap their parts out with what's available

As long as you can't change out the head. Like, 90% of borgs on RP want the screen head and if they could just change into it in the docks you'd have 3 minutes of things to do at the start of rounds

I also like the idea more with a resource cost, like it using wiring and welding fuel to swap out the limbs. That stuff never runs out unless borgs are getting the shit kicked outa them anyways, and it'd make sure you can't just swap out broken limbs for new ones like changing gloves. Also means roboticists still have something to do if they aren't the ones replacing the limbs.
I'm not asking for borgs to be able to build other borgs, just to not be entirely dependent on a member of the crew for critical repairs such as missing limbs; swapping/upgrading heads should depend entirely on a human being present and willing to do the work for you.

Perhaps with the caveat that the action needs to be done with a functioning arm. (Wouldn't make much sense to attach an arm to yourself if you were missing both of them) It would be a bit more agreeable to allow borgs this ability, a nugget borg is too critically damaged to self repair and would require a humans intervention.
In my opinion as a roboticist main, I'd be a little sad if the cyborgs could bypass the need for my intervention. I understand that sometimes there are no roboticists around and that it is frustrating to have to rely on that, but I can just foresee roboticist as a whole suffering from a change like this. That's just my take.
I feel like this loops back into the "Roboticist has no job content except being a roundstart time waster for borg players" thing, so I'll just link the forum post on spitballing roboticist content ideas here: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=21751
On the one hand, I would certainly find it very convenient as a borg to be able to replace limbs after an accident (or "accident")

However, as has been said here many times, Robotics turning into more of a ten-minute pitstop for the crew's borgs (stock the modules, stock the limbs, treads + screens, AI shell, done) would be a shame.

I suspect the broader issue is that while borgs would love to be more independent, the current state of robotics is such that "taking" one of their current tasks when they have relatively little to do after a certain point cuts deep.
(After the initial flurry they otherwise have have ... being another doctor but with less tools / Making more borgs / limb replacements? Its rare I see them get to make a new AI or borg a crimer on RP, at least in my timezone)

I think Cherman0 has the right of it saying the issue is a broader one with robotics needing "more" / some sense of progression other than waiting for ores and letting borgs have their credit card number.
Chemistry have mixing more and more complex chems, genetics have research, engineering have BIG NUMBER or mechcomp contraptions, the rest of science has building bigger and better bombs or collecting piles of artifacts, security have the escalation with antags, doctors have have ... Survival.... But robotics... It doesn't have a clear built-in reward pathway for the monkeybrain to enjoy other than making the borgs happy. If you get any.
(10-19-2023, 06:10 PM)Dhaidburt Wrote:
(10-19-2023, 04:46 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Maybe the Roboticist or another human could stuff some spare limbs into cyborg docks. The Borg could go in and replace their limb with one in the reserve, or swap their parts out with what's available

As long as you can't change out the head. Like, 90% of borgs on RP want the screen head and if they could just change into it in the docks you'd have 3 minutes of things to do at the start of rounds

I also like the idea more with a resource cost, like it using wiring and welding fuel to swap out the limbs. That stuff never runs out unless borgs are getting the shit kicked outa them anyways, and it'd make sure you can't just swap out broken limbs for new ones like changing gloves. Also means roboticists still have something to do if they aren't the ones replacing the limbs.

Yeah that makes sense. It'll have to rewire and weld the parts back to the frame. The head thing makes sense too, that's where the brain is and you'd need a surgeon's fine hands to do that work. Best you could do is take the head and put it on a new chest frame.

I'd love it in the future if there were more strategic reasons to choose between limb types and visiting the dock to swap limbs wasn't just for repair, but for doing some respec to prepare for a task
I am fine to automate some of the stuff for Robotcists... buuuuttt....

It takes away their urgency even more.

IN MY OPINION. Robotcists should do more then just add limbs and make cyborg stuff.
Cyber organs was their expertise but now medbay can print those nillywilly as well and change them. So the emergency factor for robotcists are gone anyway.
They are just 1st Aid for Cyborgs that died or lost parts.... but anything else the cyborg can do themselves.

Sure they can also make tiny bots like medibots and such to help... but... that only stays fun for a while... unless you want a buttbot epidemic.

For any fun cyborg upgrades they have to wait for mining. Again... not fun waiting for mining to find the stuff you need and once it's their you install it and it's done.

So that's why I am against the suggestion of letting borgs able to get limbs replaced whenever or changed wahtever. It's a good QoL for cyborgs but terrible for Robotcists that now just "Supply" cyborgs for parts insted of being their equivalant doctors or anyone who needs a cyborg limb.

My opinion? Give players more reasons to go to the robotcist. Make them able to put tools on bigger cyborg arms for players to use like a mining pick. Now miners got 1 tool slot free for example.. or a multitool/megatool for engineers.
This would require a small overhaul though.. but I would prefer if robotcists get more to do for others...
Also if we do give tools to cyborg arms.. puritans can no longer have cyborg parts/organs.. it will just not function. (Puritan is hard mode anyway)