Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Mode Discussion 2.0
In this thread we'll talk about existing game modes, game mode mechanics, and how we can improve them. This is not a thread where we suggest new game modes. There is another board for that, which you should peruse if you have a sudden spark of ingenuity and want to sperg on about it to everyone else.

Here's a summary:
>Traitor - the most common mode, in which there will be syndicate agents on the station with objectives to kill, steal, and generally be an asshole to everyone who's ever lived.
>Changeling - One or more players are hostile alien life-forms that want to absorb the crew. Self-explanatory.
>Wizard - A magic bearded man comes on board with his staff in one hand and a seething hatred for everyone else in the other. Sometimes, there is more than one wiz.
>Nuke - A bunch of syndicate agents invade the station and steal a disk to set off a bomb that destroys the station. Not too common, but these rounds tend to be really short.
>Conspiracy - Revolution 2.0, where two (or sometimes three?) crew members try to kill one another and recruit the rest of the ship to their side to complete their objective.
>Mixed - Traitors, changelings, and vampires, oh my! I don't know if wizards or nuke-ops show up. At least, antags that, when killed, end a round. Vampires also seem to show up in other modes. Hm...

There's also another, special mode that's usually triggered by an admin:
>Extended/Extended Roleplay - Admin funtime. Prepare your body.

As you can see, we have a shitload of game modes, which are typically chosen at random and kept a "secret". Typically, it's traitor, changeling, or mixed - mixed mode is just traitor and changeling together, with perhaps a vampire thrown in. Some other modes pop up every now and then, but more than half the time it's the ones mentioned.

Here's a bit of a bone to get things started: Should certain game modes only trigger when certain amount of players declare ready before a game starts? That is to say, if only 5 people ready up at the beginning, should we have a changeling round or just a traitor round? Or if there are only 10 players, would conspiracy or nuke make sense?

In my opinion, only certain modes should trigger when there are a certain amount of players, rather than have it just be randomly selected regardless. The only problem I see with this is metagamey players could get certain modes picked by readying or not readying when a round begins. And this system wouldn't take into account that more players will come in after the game has started.
I don't know what's the point behind checking how many players are ready, shouldn't it just check how many there are on the server altogether and then choose accordingly?
Wizards can be in mixed rounds.

The only problem I have with an actual Wizard round is if there's 1 wizard, and they goof, the round's over immediately and everyone's a bit blueballed. If the Wizard round always means two wizards (be that just spawning two wizards or only becoming a secret option if there's enough server population to support 2 wizards), it would be more interesting.