Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Idea: Security Contraband Scanner
A hand held item(possibly just a secmate scanner), which would take 4-6 seconds to scan someone (10-12 without sec training) which would reveal the presence of black listed items on their person and where.

Items possible: Contraband items of a certain level (minimum level detected 4), ID's, PDA's, certain drugs, tools, or etc.

it would tell where 'contraband is' on the person when scanned.

Introduction of placing plated metal cloth or production of foil to 'wrap' things into hide them from scanning.

To compliment this, we could make contraband under level 6 that isn't visibly shown no longer visible via sec hud.

This would allow for security to perform checks without having to strip people down or go through all their pockets. It would allow for doing a 'pat down' that would be quicker and more concise for non issues, it would also add elements to RP of being able to do checks on things.

Adding tinfoil or something similar to disguise things(like bombs) could allow for creating a scenario wherein people taken in for less important/major crimes could be processed with a scanner beep and tossed in, saving people time and allowing for new kinds of statatagies for arrest.
I legitimately don't want Security to be able to do this faster.
Thats fair! I think it'd technically take LONGER if they actually had contraband. And less if they didn't.
I "once" suggested this as well.. the DIFFERENCE was... this wasn't a scanner you can use on your hand.. but a pod or stationary device in security itself.
Where you put the suspect in to detect any contraband on their person (cept if it's hidden in clothes and such) and allow the pod to extract the contraband without doing the whole strip search.

Your idea will just force security to once in a while do a pad down scan... and we don't want it.
Cause it will result into this:
- Can we scan you real quick?
Says no. gets arrested for not doing a search or harrased till they say yes.
Says yes. Has to stop doing things for 7 seconds to deal with security.. get caught with contraband and arrested or nothing happens and it was a waste of time for both sides.

So I am with Cal to not give a "hand scanner" to do this.

If anything it should be a stationary device in security and it would only remove the annoyance of stripping down players thus stream lining the get into the brig part faster.

I do agree that pad downs could be fun for RP, but for Classic it's just a hassle and I wouldn't be surprised security is gonna smack anyone they suspect with contraband to scan em and let them go at the worst of things....
But... forcing it like this ain't fun.. and ways to avoid scanners would be neat... or better yet... ways to make scanners go haywire that isn't EMAGs. Like giving false alerts.

Anyway... that's all. Not a bad idea on paper, but HORRIBLE in execution due to the ramifications.
Security being stupid is apart of the game. A lazy security officer should be killed, not be carried by in-game items. This also means less time for friends of antagonists or whatnot to break the dude out. This also basically removes the dynamic of searches of only being performed in security at least on Goon 1, as a secoff can just stun, search, and go.

Don't rlly like this idea.
(10-18-2023, 09:16 AM)Cal Wrote: I legitimately don't want Security to be able to do this faster.

Same. Part of being sec is doing this stuff slowly so that way while you are distracted searching someone in one place someone else can be causing trouble in another place. If people could just scan someone quickly it would mean sec is moving around faster and that's just not what sec is to me.
Sec is Paul Blart, not Robocop being able to scan people with his eyes or whatever.
Oh god please no
Not with their eyes! I kinda wanted less contraband results ON huds and then extrnded scans yea. I get it though! I was mostly thinking of a way to get less stuff caught and have more paul blart shit.

The idea was making people stand still for extended periods to search. I get that people dun like the idea! I just think sechuds for contraband is too powerful.
To be honest, searches are deliberately still made by hand so security can make a blunder and miss stuff.

So while this idea makes the search easier, it also makes it more precise. This is a problem.

I think if we add some uncertainty to it, or make it "undervalue" items, this could be fine.
Maybe a modified version of those door scanners could be placed near the brig so the officer could just hold the bad guy and walk through to see if they have any contraband, just so they wouldn't have to search them if they don't have anything. Preferably the scanner would also go off if they have things like tools to break out.
I feel like it would be more RP friendly if security had to actually search by hand instead of silently throwing them through a scanner or the likes. A scanner can close up RP opportunities, (also open up some too i guess, but that's not the point). And on game where communication, deceiving, and interaction are an almost fundamental part of it, I feel like a scanner at all would harm such communication.
(10-30-2023, 11:04 AM)PowerfulXtian Wrote: I feel like it would be more RP friendly if security had to actually search by hand instead of silently throwing them through a scanner or the likes. A scanner can close up RP opportunities, (also open up some too i guess, but that's not the point). And on game where communication, deceiving, and interaction are an almost fundamental part of it, I feel like a scanner at all would harm such communication.

Unless the scanner is slow, clunky and takes a while.

This is why a stationary scanner that takes a small while to scan contraband actually does the reverse. It allows antagonists to break out of the scanner and try to escape or setup something as a last ditch effort.

But that's just me.