Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Use for excess power on Nadir
Nadir is a cood Map.
But unfortunately it has no Power Transmission Laser (PTL).

Currently there is no use for all the excess power engineering loves to generate.
From my experience, you can produce > 400kW with just 3 glowsticks - enough to saturate the 2 SMES.
Sure, you could hotwire the nuclear engine if you are an antagonist, but other than that?

But other than that?
You increase some useless number for the sake of increasing that number.

We should provide some in-game incentive to experiment with new reactor layouts to produce even more energy.

Current Ideas include:
* Add a PTL to Nadir
* Let the Harmonic Siphon use excess power for faster material production.

Other ideas are welcome, let me know what you think.
I agree, Nadir is the place to go absolutely W I L D with the nuclear engine with that harmonic siphon, but with no payout it's just bragging rights. With that in mind though, I think it should benefit both science and engineering somehow

Letting the Harmonic Siphon be sped up or higher quantities with extra power sounds nice enough, but that feels more like benefiting engineering more since they can sell the ores or make something out of them vs science who just make a few things and move on. If you're a scientist just to make a boatload of ores from the siphon though, that's a fantastic solution

Though, why not overcharge or remove the limiters of the harmonic siphon to have it draw in things you normally couldn't like alloys or artifacts? More power is naturally drawn, and engineering would need to be more on-hand for repairs for obvious reasons. You'd need command approval to overcharge or remove the limiters so selfish scientists don't drain the station's power
It would be fun to use the extra power to get more or better quality stuff.... but also add risks... and "WHOOP WHOOP! Dimensional breach detected!"
You can speed up the siphon with more power, kinda. The resonators use power, so building more of those to speed it up would require more power. They dont really use all that much though, and time + materials tend to be the more relevant bottlenecks. Possible power solution would be speeding up the tickrate of the siphon with more power. Say every 2x multiplier on tickrate requires 10x more power or something like that.
(10-18-2023, 09:29 AM)Cherman0 Wrote: You can speed up the siphon with more power, kinda. The resonators use power, so building more of those to speed it up would require more power. They dont really use all that much though, and time + materials tend to be the more relevant bottlenecks. Possible power solution would be speeding up the tickrate of the siphon with more power. Say every 2x multiplier on tickrate requires 10x more power or something like that.

Yes, but I'd use linear scaling for output and exponential scaling for power.
So, siphonEEV * k requires 2^(k-1) power.

And it would need to draw the extra energy from the reactor directly, because the APC needs power from the SMES, which is currently the bottleneck.
What if there was some sort of super drill that can be used to generate ores similar to the mining magnet? That'd be pretty cool. Maybe it can be used to attract small locations similar to the debris field? A place full of acid surely has secrets.
(10-18-2023, 11:55 AM)PowerfulXtian Wrote: What if there was some sort of super drill that can be used to generate ores similar to the mining magnet? That'd be pretty cool. Maybe it can be used to attract small locations similar to the debris field? A place full of acid surely has secrets.

I think this would shift the balance too much off the siphon and onto mining.
We already have enough mining to supply the station with mats when the Siphon is inactive or used for projects, if we had more, the Siphon might become obsolete. Also, Nadir has a trench with many unique locations already, so I don’t believe that we need something like that.
(10-20-2023, 12:41 AM)Chasu Wrote:
(10-18-2023, 11:55 AM)PowerfulXtian Wrote: ...

If I'm correct, the trench is the same one used by Oshan, so not exactly anything new or exclusive to the map. Perhaps we can shift the focus away from minerals, and possibly come back to the idea of exclusive locations within acid?

Or, new idea throwing stuff at the wall:

What if there was an acid purification system that the extra power could go towards? Maybe there can be some sort of reward.

Or how about something for artlab? Since there's no mining magnet or debris field to get artifacts from, with the only way to get more artifacts are the trench, radstorms, and qm (i think), what if there can be a telescopic locator similar to the one used with the mining magnet, that can locate artifacts in exchange for the power?