Old Longbert HoS application
Usual character name: Old Longbert
BYOND username: kirdy2
Discord username (if you are on our discord): kirdy 
Goon servers you play: Goon 3, used to play Goon 1 and 2

Reason for application:
When I started I saw the HoS as a model player. I learned a lot about how to play both in terms of RP and just general game sense. This didn't come about through direct interaction with the HoS but rather through how they interacted with the rest of the station. I want to be able to do that with newer players. I would feel that I could better teach players by leading by example rather than through text.
Security experience (300 word minimum):
I’ve played SS13 on and off for about three years, almost exclusively on Goonstation. when I first started playing I didn't touch sec for a good while. I was effectively only able to do any role because I had the wiki opened up in another tab and the wiki didn't have a step-by-step guide to how to destroy the blob, while the clown led an uprising in Medbay. Also noticed that a lot of sec players seemed more experienced which at that point I felt I wasn't. I only really started to play Sec when I picked the game back up months later. During that time which was all on goon 1 or 2, I saw just about every threat the station could throw at me. I often found that I was the first officer to die from those threats. 
 Then one day a match had just ended on Goon 3 so I decided to give it a try. I created Old Longbert as my old character did not transfer to this new server. Longbert is really where I hit my stride. Sometimes I find that Longbert is a bit aggressive and brash to anyone who harms the station. However, this is something that I find Longbert is better at managing now. So while he still may think about how they should be administering blood tests to the person who is obviously a Changeling, he now only grumbles about it on the radio rather than going against the HoS’s back and attempting to do the blood test themselves. He also is better able to communicate with the correct lunch so rather than purposely avoiding asking the rest of sec for help out of fear he will be seen as weak he now will chat with them over radio and call in anything suspicious before he engages. He also finally learned how to use sectmate surprisingly recently. Longbert has also acted as a leader of sec when it lacks an HoS using his years of experience to guide them. He's also friendly towards the crew and at least to his understanding well like among them.
Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
You are very much the backbone of the station. It is important to keep in mind that you are not the fun police. Even if people are doing something that seems illegal if it is not actively harming the station it is better to just let it go. This can also progress into fun RP moments where you have the opportunity to express your disdain for that action rather than simply disabling people who are just trying to have a good time. 
Also if you're struggling to ask for help it's better to learn how to do things from a friendly secoff or HoS then from an antag who has a shotgun. Learning what is and isn't too far ensures that everyone is having a good time. Also knowing we can't win a situation alone is a skill that is invaluable to any good sec player. When you find out who the antagonists are you are far more likely to be able to stop them if you're acting together rather than trying to solo a changeling.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
 Well, perhaps not the greatest show of sec’s deductive reasoning, The time where I effectively gasoline second to believing that I somehow wasn't the changeling was very fun. Having the hive mind tell me all the information that they could, well I spewed possible but still unlikely lies involving the fact that they knew who one of my transformations was was very fun. It shows the strength of a good sec officer who understands that instantly revealing the antagonists is often less enjoyable than having a bit of fun RPing and letting them go or that I'm just a really good liar. 
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
More gear would generally be very beneficial to sec. I would like to see additional loadout options perhaps involving a more pod-based gameplay IE you can choose a new pod weapon and upgrade. A better full melee option with a new custom baton would also be fun. Also, this is very much just a personal thing but I really want sec to get their own custom space suit. They have one on the ocean maps but not on the space ones. It often feels weird at least to me not being identifiable as an officer because you were having to stop someone in space.
Also a few things that appear around the station like maybe a new plant or a better way to mass produce energy cells would allow for sec to engage more with the station’s individual departments outside of looking for crimes. But ideally, leads to sec being seen as more a part of the crew rather than just law enforcement especially among newer players.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
While I didn't start the gimmick, a pretty recent round where sec had to keep the peace after the cap promised a banquette moments before the chef disappeared created a very chaotic round. Having to ensure that people didn't riot while also having sec cooking food was surprisingly enjoyable. Recreating that in some way with sec having to do strange jobs on top of their normal duties like maybe trying to keep the station fully clean or having to raise chickens would already be a unique round option, it also gives antags an easy way to harm sec in a way they would normally ignore IE slaughtering all the chickens. 

Speaking as if you are in an episode of an old superhero show. while perhaps not the most original gimmick is just plain fun. Making sec into a bunch of wannabe superheroes who run around saying stupid puns and making nonsensical analogies would be pretty cool. Especially if we could get the antagonists to play along. 

Previous Bans: I've had a few warnings but as far as I know no bans  
+1 from me!

Loved Longbert when I was working with sec as captain, and saw you as nothing but competent. Hope to see you as HoS! :)
Witnessed a recent round where, as security, he complained about someone installing a wire tap in public under a camera being caught by the ai and saying in character that NT installs cameras to 'get rid of the fun'.

While of course tatteling and such is a part of the game, trying to call it out like that is sort of meta and encourages people to ignore crime, security shouldn't ignore or excuse crime, it should just exercise prudence in allowing people to do their bits.

Good technical knowledge, tries to be fair, understanding of mechanics. I'd like to see more teaching. Has plenty of promise but I think they need more time and a bit more leadership experience still.
I think Old Longbert is a great teammate and know how to a good officer and a fun officer at the same time. A solid +1
We appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to a lack of community response. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be 23rd January 2024