Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
add a fuel gauge to pod UI
while I like the pod fuel change, not being able to see how far your pod is from shutting down entirely is a major detractor towards using pods for anything now. with the variable amount of fuel used by various pod settings and equipment running at the same time, it makes it almost impossible to mentally calculate what your tank's looking like, especially when you have to do more than go from a point A to a point B. I think having that visual referencw present when you're in the pod would help people not feel too nervous to use pods entirely

there is precedence for this in certain features in real life, such as, "car"
seems like a common-sense feature to me. the pod lifebar could use a little tlc too
Yeah, this has been suggested before by multiple people including me. Good idea.
Its a good idea. I have no idea how to do this myself but it's a good idea
This would be great to implement into the pod hud. What I am thinking as an indicator is a light that turns on when you reach a certain threshold of fuel, so it gives you a heads-up when the pod needs refueling; this would also create suspense, as one would not know how much they got left before they are stranded in space.
(10-15-2023, 12:00 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: Its a good idea. I have no idea how to do this myself but it's a good idea

At the simplest this could be just a number on screen with the KPA of the fuel as shown when you access a pods main computer. Something like the cyborg hud if nothing better could be made/found. It’s a good idea and much more usable then checking the main computer of the pod to determine fuel amounts.
TBH, I think it would be cool to have like, a readout of current KPA, as well as an indicator of how much you were using. That way people could get an idea of how much different pod parts use and estimate how much time they have left more precisely.
The year is 2050, and despite fuel gauges in cars were a common thing starting in 1925, that technology has been lost to time.

In fact, there appears to be a rumored time when Space Pods could magically work without the use of fuel in the first place.
Nobody really knows if it that really was the case, or why this has changed, but that would at least explain why the fuel gauge technology has been lost: It simply wasn't needed anymore.
(10-15-2023, 11:58 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: TBH, I think it would be cool to have like, a readout of current KPA, as well as an indicator of how much you were using. That way people could get an idea of how much different pod parts use and estimate how much time they have left more precisely.

What about a readout of the fuel tank KPA visually divided by KPA used per minute?
(10-15-2023, 11:58 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: TBH, I think it would be cool to have like, a readout of current KPA, as well as an indicator of how much you were using. That way people could get an idea of how much different pod parts use and estimate how much time they have left more precisely.

It would be nice to even have that be adjustable to a degree. Sorta like putting the pod into different gears. Adjust for if you want to burn a lot to gain speed quickly and then coast on the momentum, or have a slower steadier burn
As an update, a pull request with this idea was created and merged (that is, implemented). Currently, the pod UI shows pressure and a fuel gauge, though not exact fuel usage (though you can get a feel for it).
this is cool, but is there a way we can do something like this?

that way, people can get an idea for how fast they're consuming fuel without having to guess

I get the feeling that people are turning on their weapon systems and leaving them on all the time out of habit (just going through and clicking all the buttons) and being confused when their 30 minutes of flight time evaporates without warning
Would also be really fun to have an "idle" noise to let you know your pod is on, and it could even have a different pitch/sound based on how much power you're using