Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allow job specific names
There are two ways to go about this

1 - Allow everyone to pick a name after spawning like Borgs and the AI
2 - Allow people to tie certain names to certain jobs

This would allow be to be Benji Sisquo when Captain, Smiles OBryan when Engineer, and if #2 is picked, I can auto-spawn in as Locutus when I'm a Borg, etc.
Its not really that handy. I mean maybe if you don't like picking a specific job. But if you have such an extensive list it'd be lame to go around picking out specific names for every job, besides having the same look for a whole list of jobs but differing names? Next you'll want a character screen for /every job/
This sounds more like a convenience thing that isn't really needed. There are, however, multiple 'profiles' you can use in character creation, of which you can customize and choose before you join the round.
I wonder if this is possible now using the patch system?
Tying fixed names to specific jobs at round start is going to result in involuntary meta when people identify a person's job just my name.

For example :
Assistant A: "Mr.Egghead attacked me!"
> Mr.Egghead is always a scientist
Assistant B: "Let's search for him in science."
(05-26-2016, 09:38 PM)Zafhset Wrote: Tying fixed names to specific jobs at round start is going to result in involuntary meta when people identify a person's job just my name.

For example :

Hum. I suppose, but there'd be no requirement to have said names. For example you would see the same profile screen you do now, except, a new option for job specific over-rides. If you leave those blank, you just go with what you got as your general default.

As such any unintentional metagaming done against you would be "your own fault" in a way, as you have to take the action to put "Mr.Egghead" in to your own over-rides in your own profile. 

Though this is a valid concern regardless.
(05-26-2016, 09:38 PM)Zafhset Wrote: Tying fixed names to specific jobs at round start is going to result in involuntary meta when people identify a person's job just my name.

For example :

Don't see a problem with that, isn't Mr.Egghead supposed to be registered as a scientist in the station database anyway ? Characters can know each other as they were on the station before the round started for some time already.