Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Surgery Options
With the recent update, I find it slower to do surgeries than the previous way. At least in my experience. I find it more comfortable to just use the tools in the order as in the previous way  than to click TGUIs.

I am suggesting there be an option to swap to the Legacy Surgery if players wish. New players would obviously have the newer surgery by default. But I doubt surgery in its previous state was causing problems balance-wise, rather it was changed for quality of life. I just want to do my surgeries and be done, easy peasy.

I'm open to criticism, I haven't got to experience it fully but I am speaking upon what I have experienced so far.
This would be a hell of a lot of old jank code to keep around and maintain in the future
Out with the old, in with the new. As someone who was used to the old system, the new system feels WAY better, even if it is slower to those who mastered the old one.
To be honest, old surgery was way too fast, especially self-surgery. A tangible system that is more intuitive but does not have such a high skill ceiling feels much better.
Old surgery was...fine. At that time I did not feel it didn't need a change cause it worked fine,people liked it was fine, sooooo fine.The main criticism of old surgery would be that it was WAY too fast.Like after you knew the whole process it was just a matter of making your automated 6 clicks and... "BOOM" you have a new heart! well except you'd be dying of o2 damage but you get the point.It did not feel very inmersive and just resulted in putting your brain automatic mode "on" once you remembered the steps for it.

New surgery was....good! I liked it!
It made the process much easier to learn and felt more inmersive too!. Now i do not want to take out the "realistic" card on space "fart" game.But,come on, surgeries are complicated as shit it in real life it HAS to take more than just 6 seconds to do even in a setting such as ss13. I specially enjoy how now you have to cut a particular part of the body before getting to access the organs themselves(like targetting the ribs for the heart or the flanks for kidneys).

Also now you can just...rip the shit out of that organ after getting access to it.Like that is so cool!
as a nerd, i dont like the slowdown. but generally speaking this is honestly a much more newbie-friendly, more extensible framework for surgery overall. i also had some ideas for some new cool tooling around it.

newbies are going to see much closer speed parity with oldies now, which is a good thing. People often avoided getting surgery due to the risk of having to teach newbies the entirety of it, with no supporting UI.