Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Roleplay Servers: Remove securitrons' baton and cuffs
In my opinion securitrons are an "annoyance at best" for antagging and basic RP.

Just dive into a locker and they are gone. Break em with tactics... or bait em into space.

But if I would change something is not nerfing them, but a behavioural code change.
What I don't see suggested AT ALL is "Beepsky sees criminal and goes "FREEZE SCUM BAG" and GIVES AWAY THE LOCATION of the suspect insted.
And then insted of going into baton, sends a PDA message to a security guard going: "Suspect found, clearance to arrest?"
If they press Y, beepsky is going to do it's job and arrest the suspect... if N or ignored, it will just stay near the suspect till futher orders or lost track of them.

This way beepskies don't arrest someone and will just say where they are... wich means the antag did an OOPSIE but insted of being cuffed and dragged off, it will trigger a security encounter, unless security is lazy and allows the beepsky to arrest them.

Though Beepskies will IMMIDENTLY baton you if you hit em.
As yet another alternative:

Make them ignore contraband status and ONLY pay attention to arrest status. You could manually enable contraband detection but still.

I do really like Kotlol's suggestion though, with an option in a Securitron's settings to bypass required authorization.
(10-02-2023, 02:46 AM)TDHooligan Wrote: sounds more like an issue with using 'arrest' for 'soft interrogation'.

as for roleplay moments/interjections by beepsky, make *snapping at a securitron with Security Training dismiss beepsky from whoever they're targeting.

Maybe, but same thing did happen for underage drinking / jailbird interactions.
Sec talsk to someone with arrest status, and beepsky bolts in.

(10-02-2023, 08:02 AM)aft2001 Wrote: As yet another alternative:

Make them ignore contraband status and ONLY pay attention to arrest status. You could manually enable contraband detection but still.

I do really like Kotlol's suggestion though, with an option in a Securitron's settings to bypass required authorization.

In my opinion, contraband is not the problem. It's arresting people with arrest status.
But I think it is possible to change the default settings for securitytrons on RP. Should be fairly easy.
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/16214
(10-02-2023, 02:46 AM)TDHooligan Wrote: sounds more like an issue with using 'arrest' for 'soft interrogation'.

as for roleplay moments/interjections by beepsky, make *snapping at a securitron with Security Training dismiss beepsky from whoever they're targeting.

I really like the idea of bots being responsive to emotes like that. Whistling to have it come to, snapping your fingers to have it stop and stay.

That's a mechanic worth exploring
To be honest, many of my rampages were started by securitrons giving a fuck about negotiations and forcing my hand. I kinda agree that they are annoyance at best and very often RP-disrupting.

Then again, them being an annoyance against antags is their main task. So we should look at how to keep beepski out off RP situations and let him fight underage drinkers and contraband wearers.

Keep in mind you make yourself an underage character or jailbird explicitely to get in trouble with the stations security systems, and securitrons are a big part of it.

I think giving secoffs and command more control over securitrons is a good idea.

(10-02-2023, 06:28 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I really like the idea of bots being responsive to emotes like that. Whistling to have it come to, snapping your fingers to have it stop and stay.

That's a mechanic worth exploring

Agreed, that sounds like a really nice idea. A wuick way to defuse a securitron that would otherwise ruin an important RP moment.

Thatd be so.cool
I'm a big fan of the snap-to-turn-off thing - I'd love to see more interactions like that.

I think Beepsky in itself is mostly an annoyance to RP when charging in to interrupt talks already happening with security, and as such could really benefit from an easier way for security to turn it off, which I think this would be a really cool way to.

I think nerfing them in general however's not a fantastic feeling, at least this heavily. Other than Beepsky himself, the most elite among securitrons, they're honestly not *that* hard to evade, and they can keep an antag set to arrest on their toes a bit, as well as help control the station from people having contraband. As someone who has done solo security, the securitrons have definitely been invaluable assistants in finding and sometimes taking down targets, allowing me as the secoff to go over and actually RP with them.

One notion I might support is that antags not performing anything ludicrously antag-y such as changelings horror-forming could have their threat level a bit more easy to mask from the securitrons, so the securitrons can stay a nice and patrolling way to help out in the station while allowing antags to stay under the radar so long as they haven't 'gone loud' and gotten in trouble with sec yet better.
I don't think indirectly buffing security officers ability to deal with antags is a good way to go. Security on RP is plenty strong enough already and often have shut down antags at the 70 minute mark.

It would be an ability inherently tied to "security training" and if you can simply snap your fingers out of your own wanted status a traitorous detective or a rogued AI cannot use securitrons against security any longer.

I would rather there were two different "wanted" statuses like I suggested earlier, one that simply pings out on sec-hud and perhaps make securitrons report locations and a "wanted status +" that actually makes them chase, with the former being the default.
Whistle controlled securitrons PR: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/16260
(10-02-2023, 02:54 AM)Cal Wrote: The real fix here is for someone to make the menu that pops up when you hit beepsky and other small borgs much faster and snappier, pain in the ass to try to click that little "off" when the menu has a half second delay already

I wonder if either:
- The performance of our "tooltipHolder.showClickTip" tooltips could be improved
or
- They could/should be replaced with this TGUI popup tech: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/b...-popups.md
The whistle is a really nice tool, but I think some balance should be considered.

I've seen the securitons being used as "attack securitrons" a few times since this PR has been merged. They are being brought to the shuttle, or used to guard the security department. I think being able to point to order them around is a very powerful thing. Mabye it should just be limited to whistling to stop them from what they are doing.
If security now uses them to lock an area down or guard it, this is a very good thing. This could certainly reduce the amount of shuttle rampages.

To make the offensive use somewhat harder, though, i made a PR. https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/16317
(10-07-2023, 09:01 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: If security now uses them to lock an area down or guard it, this is a very good thing. This could certainly reduce the amount of shuttle rampages.

To make the offensive use somewhat harder, though, i made a PR. https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/16317

Any way to reduce shuttle madness/chaos is always welcome....
Especially on RP.

I am fine with classic chaos, but RP shuttle chaos just felt like... a terrible end of a terrible shift.