Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chicken gender serum (and some misc)
There's only a couple of rng factors to rancher and the most prevelant seems to be the chance for a chick to grow into a rooster or a hen. For some breeds in particular this can end in nightmare scenarios where you go through more than 20 chickens to get a rooster. I think this alone makes ranching too difficult on classic.

To help with that I think there should be a chemical you can make with basic reagents that will guarentee a rooster out of an injected egg, perhaps in trade for a shorter lifespan.

As for misc suggestions, I think ranching can be a bit too punishing from a classic perspective. Your time is super precious in a way I've not felt from other jobs. The times chickens evolve at and such are all fine, you can make most chickens in 20-30 minutes which is the ideal. I'm talking more about a general slowness to ranching. I propose shaving time off of things like:

- Feeding actionbars
- The time you get stunned for leaping over a barrier into an object in the way
- Hatching time (alternatively add extra incubators to buy from botany vendors, ranchers already have other things to collab with engies on)
Maybe an unpopular opinion: i think it's good that non-antags cannot get reliable T3 chickens on classic.

For traitors, i leave a tip emily told me: roosters from chicken grenades are normal roosters, for as long as they don't see non-traitors.

But shaving off hatching time would be something i would support. Maybe even improving the vaulting buff of rancher boots. But i really like the fun effect of crashing against solid objects. I don't think this needs a shave of tinme.
I think if we were gonna do this, i would want it to be the same as he sims, and be einjecting watermellon juice or applejuice to INCREASE chances.

That said, yes, the issue is is that non traitors can cheaply and efficiently force roosters to speed to super chickens for use in evil. Regular rancher the novelity of it is kinda neat? I mean if youw anna force roosters you can just scan incubators and mass hatch/cull chickens
"Maybe an unpopular opinion: i think it's good that non-antags cannot get reliable T3 chickens on classic."

Unpopular for me at least. T3 chickens can be strong but they're not so strong that half a shift's work on them wouldn't be warranted imo. Cockatrices may be the spanner in the works here. Generally though I feel as if you should be able to reliably get adult T3 chickens before minute 40. Making them unreliable for all but specifically traitors isn't the way to go in my opinion. Rancher is a rarely taken or well played job on classic and I think the punishing time is the biggest factor to that, obviously it is a difficult job and one you need to put effort into to get results out of, but I believe you should reliably be able to access its content regardless of server or antag status. A boost in rooster chances helps, but rng is rng and I don't think classic rancher should be subject to that when classic rounds are so short and deadly.

"I mean if youw anna force roosters you can just scan incubators and mass hatch/cull chickens"

True, but it's just another thing you gotta multitask. You can ask for help but people have rarely played long enough to be able to help you (when you don't have the time to teach them), and many people on classic won't be willing to help. You can't rely on others on classic, you don't have the 100 minute shift time to fall back on. It's true that often you'll find people able and willing, or cyborgs that listen to orders, my point is more so that you don't have the time to see on classic. When you set off for more incubators you could be vamped, there could be nobody at mech and no tools around to get in, the AI might be having a hard time seeing orders in chat, the engineers might beat you up for asking or entering mechlab etc etc.

Any one of these setbacks can leave you with not enough time for your rancher plans and subsequently a sad shuttle ride with 2 eggs in your pocket. With like one incubator in each vendor it's just not a headache. On top of this, ranchers can already ask for an indictor (if that's how it's spelled) from engineering if they want to interact. This is assuming gender serum is not a wanted mechanic and hatching more eggs for more chances is what's wanted, or that hatching times are not just simply buffed.

Make incubators movable on screwdriving too if they're not, I didn't check.
(09-28-2023, 07:22 AM)CalliopeSoups Wrote: Unpopular for me at least. T3 chickens can be strong but they're not so strong that half a shift's work on them wouldn't be warranted imo. Cockatrices may be the spanner in the works here. Generally though I feel as if you should be able to reliably get adult T3 chickens before minute 40. Making them unreliable for all but specifically traitors isn't the way to go in my opinion.

To be honest, from the time i'm on these server, there are like 4 things to keep powergamers on classic in check: Being time consuming, requiring cooperation, being unreliable or a combination of these 3. I think it's fair that it should be a bit more reliable, but doing T3 chickens at ~40 minutes is already reliably possible for a veteran rancher, imo. At least my times fairly often hover around 32 minutes for T3 or cluwne chickens. I thought you were talking about a time area of 20-30 minutes.

(09-28-2023, 07:22 AM)CalliopeSoups Wrote: Make incubators movable on screwdriving too if they're not, I didn't check.

I think the only way is wrenching the incubator off and then using a screwdriver on the box to move it. I like this idea. Question is how it should handle eggs being incubated in it when moved. Maybe crack the egg?
(09-28-2023, 08:30 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote:
(09-28-2023, 07:22 AM)CalliopeSoups Wrote: Unpopular for me at least. T3 chickens can be strong but they're not so strong that half a shift's work on them wouldn't be warranted imo. Cockatrices may be the spanner in the works here. Generally though I feel as if you should be able to reliably get adult T3 chickens before minute 40. Making them unreliable for all but specifically traitors isn't the way to go in my opinion.

To be honest, from the time i'm on these server, there are like 4 things to keep powergamers on classic in check: Being time consuming, requiring cooperation, being unreliable or a combination of these 3. I think it's fair that it should be a bit more reliable, but doing T3 chickens at ~40 minutes is already reliably possible for a veteran rancher, imo. At least my times fairly often hover around 32 minutes for T3 or cluwne chickens. I thought you were talking about a time area of 20-30 minutes.

(09-28-2023, 07:22 AM)CalliopeSoups Wrote: Make incubators movable on screwdriving too if they're not, I didn't check.

I think the only way is wrenching the incubator off and then using a screwdriver on the box to move it. I like this idea. Question is how it should handle eggs being incubated in it when moved. Maybe crack the egg?

T3s I see as being a before 40 minute thing, 20-30 minutes is more for the rest I meant. I don't think ranching is as bad as I did when I wrote the last reply even honestly, but I'd still like to see some general speed up.

As for movable incubators I didn't even think of moving one with an egg inside. Might be too good to be able to hatch an egg in an incubator and move it but I like the thought.