Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You must lie down to extinguish yourself
I've always found it kind of annoying that resisting while even lightly on fire made you drop your items and fall to the floor. What would thoughts be on making sure that you rest and THEN resist, with a message if you try to block while on fire? (The block fails still, by the way.)

It's stop, drop, and THEN roll, no? (Also, this only requires one additional initial keypress, the '=' key, at least on TG controls, makes you rest. In case you didn't know)
This is a very reasonable point. To explain why it currently is this way: Before blocking existed, resist used to work basically the way you describe, you had to click rest before resisting to stop-drop-and-roll. And we didn't like this because new players would often be confused by it, trying to stop-drop-and-roll, by clicking resist, but not realizing they had to also be lying down first. So we decided to make it function more in line with player expectations.

But now that Blocking is attached to the input for Resisting, it's clear that this is a problem where one input causes two very different things contextually when you might not want one over the other.

I think the ideal solution would be to separate the key input for BLOCK from the input for RESIST. I couldn't say what key would make the best default for various keybind settings.
Separating the two sounds interesting, but what gets the split? The only thing I understand to be worth categorizing as 'resist' is being on fire, if there are other actions for resist (such as handcuffs, but blocking would work with those.. how?) then I could get that. I'm sure there's enough keys on the keyboard for it, though I'm not so sure if adding more keys to press is a good idea.

For me, I have TG controls. X is the only key I can think of that would make sense, since it's already next to C.

I can understand why it was changed back to the way it currently is, but either way there will be players frustrated, either because the game is assuming something incorrectly or because they are not doing the thing correctly. Personally, I prefer the latter since it allows players to be more explicit about what they intend to do.
Here are all the things pressing resist currently tries to do, in order of application, generally stopping once it matches a condition:

/mob/living/proc/resist()
1. remove glued item
2. attempt to get out of 'cage' containers: flock, pet_carrier
3. do a fire roll if burning
4. if laying in liquid, splash in it
5. struggle against grabs
6. stop being pulled
7. struggle against pins
8. unbuckle from chair

/mob/living/grab_self()
9. buckle into chair
10. unarmed blocking gets a grab/block item and the "blocking" status effect

/mob/living/proc/grab_block()
11. block with a held item

/mob/living/carbon/human/resist()
12. remove shackles
13. remove handcuffs
I like blocking and resist sharing a key, I enjoy having less keys to keep track of and there's no time I can remember hitting it and getting the wrong result other than with the fire rolling.
i would rather not remove the only real counter to a c-saber arm
I get that but jank should not be a balance solution
I kinda wish block was a hold down key, tbh.