Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.4 Average
Make Cargo be able to purchase Makarovs
This is just a silly little idea really. But what if Cargo after doing something specific or perhaps the right trader comes by, they can purchase Makarovs. I decided the Makarov was the best choice due to its lower caliber, and that it would be more obvious if it was used to kill someone with.

Sec would be able to figure out how someone was harmed quickly due to the round type, so if the person was an antag and was doing a piss poor job, they can go to cargo to figure out what the hell happened.
This can also expand to other guns IF wanted, like Double-Barrel ShotgunsĀ and rubber slugs, but I don't know if that would be a great idea and I leave that to the coders will. I think this idea only really works with ballistic weapons and not great one at that. Not something that can be used to instantly murder some poor bastard.

Let me know what you guys think and perhaps even add on to it!
Ya know, that's a pretty good choice in firearm for this. It's not easy to recharge like a phaser, and it's not easy to get more ammo since it needs its own specific ammo and can't use the generic 9mm. Something that cargo can easily track who recieved what, or if cargo wants some personal protection.

I'm personally in favor of cargo being able to have more options to spend its money, it's just way too easy to just get a boatload and never do anything with it. Instead of needing to hack the terminal or hope for an arms trader, I say that it shouldn't be able to be requested but can be ordered by any QM for a high fee and a message to security that a firearm was purchased without the security ID lock. Any QM ordering it needs to go out of their way to order it, rather than pressing accept halfhazardly.
(08-17-2023, 08:14 PM)Dhaidburt Wrote: Ya know, that's a pretty good choice in firearm for this. It's not easy to recharge like a phaser, and it's not easy to get more ammo since it needs its own specific ammo and can't use the generic 9mm. Something that cargo can easily track who recieved what, or if cargo wants some personal protection.

I'm personally in favor of cargo being able to have more options to spend its money, it's just way too easy to just get a boatload and never do anything with it. Instead of needing to hack the terminal or hope for an arms trader, I say that it shouldn't be able to be requested but can be ordered by any QM for a high fee and a message to security that a firearm was purchased without the security ID lock. Any QM ordering it needs to go out of their way to order it, rather than pressing accept halfhazardly.

Yeah thats why I think the Makarov is a great choice. There is already systems in play to make it easier to find people whjo used a gunpowder weapon to kill someone, and if sec finds that the rounds used were in 9x18, they would know it was cargo who got it, or it was the one found in the adventure zone.
Iirc, by design NT does not offer kinetics. So it would be kinda odd why cargo could order them fine.
It would be nice to see more options to purchase from an emag'd cargo console. Could always try it as another crate unlock via emag?
we had buyable loaded clocks for a couple of months and 99% of shifts, all of cargo would be strapped. 50% of them, half the crew would be too. even in limited quantities it's not a matter of 'if', but 'when' they are all purchased.

you can buy clocks still, but they have no ammo. i would put money on it being exactly how this'd play out.
(08-18-2023, 03:56 AM)TDHooligan Wrote: we had buyable loaded clocks for a couple of months and 99% of shifts, all of cargo would be strapped. 50% of them, half the crew would be too. even in limited quantities it's not a matter of 'if', but 'when' they are all purchased.

you can buy clocks still, but they have no ammo. i would put money on it being exactly how this'd play out.

Just make it emag only
Emag or "Alternative traders"

Not main.. as we will get the Clock problem
(08-18-2023, 03:56 AM)TDHooligan Wrote: we had buyable loaded clocks for a couple of months and 99% of shifts, all of cargo would be strapped. 50% of them, half the crew would be too. even in limited quantities it's not a matter of 'if', but 'when' they are all purchased.

This is is why I suggested you make it hard for cargo to get them, for they either get lucky or perhaps have to do some random crap to get them. This is also just a silly little suggestion more than anything really.
I don't think quick and easily available kinetics fits goon. This mostly sounds like away to turn every argument into a murder and every arrest into an execution.
You can more easily get, create and get ammo for energy weapons like laser and phaser guns phasers being only slightly less lethal than the makarov and much more lethal than the clock, laser guns being better than all three. Adding weaker kinetics to cargo as a limited thing from random traders or from a supply pack isn't going to make the game a lawless hellscape if these energy weapons don't.
Like look at clocks, there is no "clock problem" because they are terrible weapons by default and ammo is in incredibly short supply even if everyone was armed with them they are incredibly weak (6 damage) and its basically impossible to get normal 9mm rounds for them.
If the arguement was against phasers I would agree since one supply pack can turn into literally everyone having them and high capacity cells can be made with very basic materials.
But this also rarely happens, generally this change would increase options for both crew and antags to get ranged weapons which are limited by the design of kinetic weapons and only slighty stronger (5 damage more 20 -> 25) than the middle line energy weapons that QM can buy.
This could work great as an exclusive option on an emagged QM console
NT is energy weapons
Syndies are kinetic weapons
Don't know if getting kinetic weapons on QM would work with that unless emagging the QM console means you are ordering from syndies?
Kinetics are not necessarily Syndicate. A lot of the traders that cargo deals with are probably not NT-aligned. It's not too far-fetched that somebody has a bunch of old Soviet firearms that they need to offload for cash.

As for the idea itself, I'm not sure. On one hand, cargo being able to get cool toys is good because I think they should be rewarded for doing their job. On the other hand, balance and the availability of guns is a concern. As others have said, better guns are relatively easy to get your hands on if you know where to look, including phasers, which while there are a few more hoops to jump through can also be ordered through cargo.

I would feel better about this idea if they were added as one of a larger pool of rare-ish items cargo can order, on top of being pricey and limited in quantity.