Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Miscallaneous mechcomp musings
Just a thread of random mechcomp ideas, feel free to throw any you have in. I'd code one myself but I took a look at the code and I think I'll stick to trying to add a new plant or something.

- Rotational axis component. Don't ask me how I think people would code this, I don't have an answer. Idea is you could hook it up to say a gravitron and with a signal, rotate its direction without unwrenching or interacting with it. Could provide for some fun stuff I think.

- Randomiser component. This one's probably been suggested before, but a simple way to generate a random outcome would be great. It could be a random number generator or something that simply sends its signal to a random one of its connected components when activated.

- I've suggested this one myself before but I'll put it here too, it'd be fun to connect to fluid tanks that you print from general fabs. Lots of things you could do with liquid.

- Rechargers that output info of what's inside and how much charge it has, for display screens.

- Remove the button from inside device frames and/or add more than 2 device frames per map. They're not strong enough to warrant the limitation imo, especially with the funny things you could do with an army of the little guys.

- Device cabinet transmogrification, my coolest and most thought out idea. Turn the cabinet into a large machine/item that you can't pick up. Toilet with spider legs that yells at people? Pretty funny.
Re the last point - it'd be cool if there was a device frame of some kind that kind of acts like a custom circuit board, that you can place into console frames.
I like most of these, you could probably do a rotational component reasonably easily just by calling set_dir and fixing whatever that breaks when you do that, not sure about device frame limitations though, and component cabinets should probably look like such for clarity.
Doesnt the arithmetic component have a "rnd" mode that gives out a number between input A and B?
please give me a STACK i need to POP VALUES WITHOUT CREATING A LOOP!
A kind of pressure sensor and hand scanner combo would be very nice to have. No buttons required, simply stand here and you are recognized! Useful for automatic locked doors, capture points (Stand on the bloody point!), or making sure one person doesnt use the contraption twice.
Also, i'd love to have the pressure sensor and tripwire get an "on exit" output and the outputted signals being able to say what direction. So you can know whether someone went *into* evac or *out* of evac without needing gravitrons to enforce the mechcomp rules, or being able to know how long a person has stood on that sensor
maybe make the combo a kind of security gate? Call it a scanner gate and give it a similar but still distinct sprite. Walking through the gate gives you the name of the person and direction they entered from. just standing on top of the gate would work the same way
Some kinda item sorter. Imagine it would have inputs and outputs in all four directions. Something comes inside it, it looks at what it is, checks it against a list, and picks which direction it sends it or holds it
For me at least, more than anything, what i want is a bit of a more readable and concise way of making the logic, because at the moment it feels extra clunky and convoluted.
The way stormworks does it is for me personally, the best way to do logic circuits, since you can have a logic component with logic boxes and set inputs and outputs that don't require a multitude of physical components on the floor.
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/u...7D534ED9D/
Two suggestions for making oshan mechcomp a bit more bearable. Payment components should be able to be interacted with through water, and text displays should be brighter through water too.
An object that adds extra interactivity to fixed objects like vendors, chemicompiler etc. would be nice