HoS Application - David Davies (Zhail)
Usual character name: David Davies
BYOND username: Zhail
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Shail (real_shail)
Recommended by (if applicable): Rukert
Goon servers you play: Goonstation 3: Morty

Reason for application:
A Head of Security is someone that Security can rely on for guidance and advice. They're people who lead by example, and ensure that new players become accustomed to their role in the team. They're the ones that keep the station, and more importantly Security, in check. It's one of the largest impact on a single round as a whole, and a teacher for Security and crew alike.

I want to be the person that inspires others to follow me to wherever we may go. I hope to smoothen the gameplay for all parties, whether it be Security or antagonists, so that it can be a better and memorable experience. I wish to show new players how to interact with the station and crew, and to keep the flow of the round moving.

Security experience (300 word minimum):

I used to switch around in science and engineering (mechanic when it was still around), because those are what interested me. I really didn't know much about Security, I didn't think it would interest me that much. I just knew that there were a bunch of people in red suits that told you what was illegal. One day, I was met by a HoS walking past, I can't remember who. I was making thermite in science, just to test myself, and they asked me what I was up to. I told them the truth, and they said that it was cool, and asked if I could showcase it to the Security team as a sort of preparation for what to do if someone used it maliciously. I wasn't arrested, I wasn't ticketed, just made out to be someone helping to teach the team. This was the day when I first started looking farther into Security, and when I began admiring the HoS.

My first security round was as an assistant, a little less than 13 months ago. It was a full team, and luckily had a HoS on duty, Chatauscours. He jumped into teaching me the basics, showing me around the department, introducing me to other Security members, and making sure that I was asking questions. Eventually, I was set to shadow an officer and patrol in the field. In this round alone I learned more than what I thought my brain could handle. Stowaways? Never heard of them. Brig timer? Don't know the meaning of that phrase. I quickly started getting stressed, but the officer took it slow and told me to ask whatever I needed. They answered all of my questions before I even asked them after that, and this was the experience that taught me that you don't need to be a HoS to be cool.

After a few months I felt widely comfortable. I was calming down from "What the hell do I do!?" into "Let's just take it slow, man." Security has taught me that there's another human behind that character, and to make sure that we're all having a good time, not just one side. That whatever people say about you, live and let live. To not be a buzzkill, but have fun with it. To roll with the gimmicks, give others another chance if they screw it up. I don't take pride in killing people, but it has to happen if they're a continuous threat to the station, and hard decisions at least mean that you still have morals. Above all however, ensure the safety of the crew and of the station.

Being about a year into being a Sec main, I obviously still have a lot to learn. Everyone does, and that's something that I hold myself and all people on the station to. The biggest thing that I tell myself is "If you're not learning something out of this, then keep trying until you do". 

Answer two or more of the following:
What advice would you give to other sec players?
  • Keep calm, man! Most of my experiences that ended poorly happened because I got stressed or panicked. Keeping a level head will more than likely ensure that you can stay alive and keep the station safe.
  • All you have to do is ask! There is absolutely no shame in asking for help, whether it's figuring out the functions of SecMate or how to properly wrangle monkeys that Genetics released. There are plenty of experienced people around to help you with whatever you need.
  • Not every little thing needs the baton! Lots of happenings on the station are petty crimes, and many of them can be resolved through purely talking to them, maybe a ticket or possibly a fine if it was a bit worse than petty. In chatting with the crew instead of immediately arresting them for nabbing a box of donuts, as heinous as it is, it will also build trust between Security and the crew, showing that the team can protect them from threats and resolve conflicts.
  • Work together! There's a reason so many players call it the Security TEAM and not the Security Department. Lots of what you'll be doing relies on a group of people working as a unit, so be sure to communicate with the other Security members.
  • Have fun! Security, while it requires an air of seriousness at certain moments such as a person having their head blown off by a SPES-12, isn't a department of buzzkills.

What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)

I was a few months into Security. We were chasing a terrorist bomber that had already blown up a portion of the station who was now hiding out at the space diner. We had planned a raid on it in order to close in on all sides, as he had already escaped once before using the Port-A-Sci. This time we weren't going to let that happen, and I thought of an idea. Someone would hide out in the Port-A-Sci, set the home base to inside of Security, and wait to be teleported straight to the bomber. The HoS loved it, and of course I had basically volunteered myself to be the test dummy in coming up with it. So I sat in the Port-A-Sci for about five minutes while most of the rest of Security flew out in pods to the space diner. I was teleported into an enclosed room, welded off, with only the bomber inside. He opened the Port-A-Sci, didn't see me, and got in. Moments before teleporting, the HoS said "HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE, BYE!", and we were sent back to Security. We had captured the bomber using his own tactics, and we all congratulated each other with a round of donuts afterwards.

Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.

Full teams of people usually make me feel as though I can relax, trusting the fact that there is a squad of people who know what they're doing and can keep the station safe. I tend to hang back in Security a little more than usual and try to help direct people towards situations, keep others up to speed, have general chit-chat, and provide the "entertainment".

As a solo however, I tend to be a little more tense, and this is something that I need to work on. I am in the field much more often, given that there's nobody else to talk to. I try to do everything on my own and just end up stressing myself out, which is why I try to keep to a full team whenever at all possible.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.

Thoughts of the Possum
Morty says that I
Need to keep the thief contained.
Am I high or what?

Draw a picture!

[Image: HOLY-SHIT-A-LING.png]

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None that I know of.
David is a model officer and I see no issues with this at all. My total support
Davies is always level-headed from what I've seen and fairly good at making decisions. I personally haven't seen them train new secasses a lot, but I have been playing sec considerably less over the past few months (and NEW new secasses are few and far between anyhow). Overall a good officer. Definitely the type that you're like "wait, you're not an HoS?" Has my +1.
Have seen them leading the team and direct dispatch while in the midst of chaos. +1
Easy yes from me. Does an outstanding job being *just present enough*. They lead when they need to, are among the best communicators in the current group of Secmains, handles antags very appropriately, and does a great job at allowing narratives to run while not being afraid to step in when needed. Another particularly impressive thing about Zhails Sec gameplay is being able to affect a round and be a major asset to Security without being in the limelight. They do a great job of gently steering the team to handle things in appropriate manners.

Happily would've recommended Zhail had I known they had interest. Would be a crime to not allow Zhail to shove spaghetti arrabbiata down the hatch any time they please.
Effective communicator, excellent judge of character, and utterly devoted to promoting good RP even during stressful situations. Never a moment where I, as a newish Security player, would second-guess their decisions.

I would highly recommend Zhail to this position.
Wait, David Davies isn't a HoS already?
Really, they really do bring that exact energy you'd expect from a proper HoS, and I definitely do follow their lead through the flow of a round, especially if we're lacking a HoS at the moment. Hopefully, there will be more chances to see new Security members under your wing!
Happily echo the general consensus, Zhail is a great officer that makes the round flow more smoothly. In shifts where there's no leading figure they readily accept responsibility, which is by itself a good trait for a HoS to have. As mentioned, I also don't recall many moments of David teaching other officers, but that's often an opportunity measurement, you can't train anyone if none of the shifts you participate in need anyone trained that's not already being trained by someone else. I cannot imagine them having problems or issues with training, however, because they are communicative and knowledgeable and demonstrate a good understanding of the profession. Gladly would see them get the beret.
David is one of the people who taught me how to play security, always fair, but firm, an absolute asset to the team when they're on.
A huge reccomendation from me, they would make an incredible HoS
One of the few people who I also, more or less, leaned how to play security from. Always fun to be around, and incredibly professional when the time comes for them to be. It's always great to see them on the team, and honestly? I think they would make for a fantastic HoS.
Have had positive experiences playing with David Davies in sec. Think you'd do just fine as HoS.
The first time I met David Davies, we were both traitors in engineering. We made a rollercoaster and he had a great attitude back then. Then the security era started, he taught multiple people how to play security. He always is calm in chaos and tries to lead security through it. A fine firm officer that I believe would be an outstanding Head of Security. +1
all around good secoff. as mentioned already, he's helpful to new officers and spends plenty of time helping them get their bearings. fun guy to have around, but reliable and communicative when its needed. seems fair with antags as well. +1
I've played with them a few times as randomname secass and they've always been great, good roleplayer and ready to talk to everyone.
I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but vehement +1 for me, on this one.

I don't weigh in on a lot of HoS Applications, since I don't play much Sec. But I've seen more than enough of David at work as AI or as an antag to strongly recommend him for the role. I've seen him spend whole shifts, multiple times, mentoring SecAsses, and I darned well knew at the time that he was beret material. He knows when to play, and when to drop the silliness and get his serious game face on. He's attentive and communicative. He has a great sense of when to give antags leeway, and when to put a stop to the madness. As a crew member, he's the sort of guy you'd absolutely feel good coming to with a problem, knowing he'd hear you out and follow up on it.

He's one of the SecOffs that I'm always happy to see, when I'm the eye-in-the-sky, because having him around makes things easier to get done. And I bet a lot of people feel that way. That rock solidity could not be more HoSsy.

I just hope that his subordinates swirlie him if he wears a baseball cap as a HoS.