Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Tenacious Clowns and the peel of legend/decaying banana peels
Hello so, this is a suggestion or idea. 

So quite simply,  i think banana peels should decay aftwr 1 or 2 slips. If botanists or others dedicate themselves to throwing them everywhere it feels like it rides the line of griefing. This would also allow the joke to go but less mess and disruption.

Likewise, i feel the peel of a clown, ie the clowns starting banana peel, should not rot. The peel of legend could have this effect,  possibly even having some interaction with the clown like throwing it at someone causes it to slip them even if walking.

I also had the suggestion a green banana peel should acr as glue because its twisted ans wrong.

Thank you
just turn walk mode on if you don't want to slip fifty times in a row

this just seems entirely unnecessary
I'd do want more quality in the peels... for example magic sandals nullifies banana peels too, but it's more or less they start crowding the area.
Walk on is a fix, but seeing peels everywhere just becomes a janitors nightmare.

Decaying them isn't a terrible idea.
But on the idea of other peels being more permanent or stronger is a fun counter balance.
(08-07-2023, 01:44 PM)CaptainBravo Wrote: just turn walk mode on if you don't want to slip fifty times in a row

this just seems entirely unnecessary

By the same argument couldnt you respond to lube throwers with "just fall down and roll on the groubd over it? "I dont think banana peels being infinite was created with the idea of hundreds of banana peels. 

The rules specifically creating indiscriminate hazards in high traffic Areas is griefing, and how is covering a main hall in bananas not that? Having the peels rot wouls at least make it a short lived hazzard. Which is funnier
(08-07-2023, 03:32 PM)Silent Majority Wrote: By the same argument couldnt you respond to lube throwers with "just fall down and roll on the groubd over it? "I dont think banana peels being infinite was created with the idea of hundreds of banana peels. 

The rules specifically creating indiscriminate hazards in high traffic Areas is griefing, and how is covering a main hall in bananas not that? Having the peels rot wouls at least make it a short lived hazzard. Which is funnier

Generally bananas are much easier to see than lube. Additionally bananas can be cleaned up pretty easy by slipping all of the bananas into one pile then closing a locker or box onto them. If they decayed they’d pretty much be a worse lube.
(08-07-2023, 03:32 PM)Silent Majority Wrote: By the same argument couldnt you respond to lube throwers with "just fall down and roll on the groubd over it? "I dont think banana peels being infinite was created with the idea of hundreds of banana peels. 

There is a world of difference in how easy it is to mass lube and how much time it needs to fill a hallway with peels. Secondly, lying down comes woth much, much more disadvantages than just walking. These cases are not in any way compareable, really.

Peels are very obvious, are cumbersom to spam and need only a slight movement speed reduction to counter.

And if non-antag botanists lie them around everywhere, that is simply grief and should be ahelped and the botanist demoted. A problem is ghost critters spreading them everywhere, though.
(08-07-2023, 05:43 PM)Judobum Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 03:32 PM)Silent Majority Wrote: By the same argument couldnt you respond to lube throwers with "just fall down and roll on the groubd over it? "I dont think banana peels being infinite was created with the idea of hundreds of banana peels. 

Generally bananas are much easier to see than lube. Additionally bananas can be cleaned up pretty easy by slipping all of the bananas into one pile then closing a locker or box onto them. If they decayed they’d pretty much be a worse lube.
Shouldn't they BE a worse lube?
just make it so you can stuff them in a botany bag, that way it's easy to clean up and easy to make a giant mess too
Bananas peels are harder to get than lube, are more visible, and can be interacted with to get rid of them. The only advantage they have over lube currently is that they're permanent. The reason why banana peels feel bad is because their permanence means that the person who placed them will be long gone by the time you come across it. There's still an incentive to do it live if you have only one banana peel; if someone picks it up and trashes it that's game over. But when you have 50? And no janitors are around with vacuums? Yeah that sucks.

I'd like to see this decay mechanic, but only for bananas grown by botany.
If someone is spreading banana peels everywhere just ask the clown to slip on them until they're all on one tile.  Sweet, sweet, clown xp.
(08-08-2023, 05:58 AM)Cal Wrote: just make it so you can stuff them in a botany bag, that way it's easy to clean up and easy to make a giant mess too

Thats a great idea and only a single line change. I PR that this evening.

Edit: Done! https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/15303
Maybe have them disappear after not being interacted for some time. But also add some kind of botany super banana for antags to use for trolling
Another funny idea I thought of is: eating too many bananas gives you potassium poisoning, which would hit you with some negative effects. This would punish people that eat a ton of bananas and block hallways