Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Server room and new jobs.
Hi , I quite enjoy using the computers on the server mainly because they can do so many things , however I do believe this is limited mainly to the fact that the updates to them halted. I think they should have an overhall and turn the room by qm (filled with the crates) into a server and IT room filled with computers , basically it crowd office. Bring in a new job that handles building and managing the server and also allow computers to do much more , for instance , the radios they are connected to (PNET_RADIO) should be usable to send files along the main chat and pda , they should (with a bit of hacking) be able to control airlocks and APCS (with extra things in place to block users from doing this to armoury head offices etc.) maybe even airbridges and the engine room. There is so much room for expansion and currently its only used by one department , the artifacts lab and they barely do anything with it, the amount of stuff it could be used for and the fact it could add a whole new dimension to the game is what makes it brilliant. I would love it if this idea could be considered and even developed further!
I support more stuff for computers, but this kind of thing a
has already been suggested. Like I said when this topic was brought up last time, computers need WAY more stuff before we can have an IT department.
The problem with a station IT department is that people already don't fix things that screw up because it's often easier to just call the shuttle.

Why not just add some more machines that do things and let people build their own nerd networks and make nerd wars.

Random events that affect computers might be a good idea, but eventually people will ignore them.
two ideas i have to make computer hacking a little more useful for both good guys and rude dudes:

1) be able to hack through the AI mainframe somehow that gives you control over APCs and doors, so you can help take back control from rogue AIs, or do exactly what you'd expect a traitor with full control over the station's doors and powers do

2) be able to hack into the mainframes of ships in space, so you can call in more traders or crash them into the station (also could make the observatory useful)
Setup the network tools to work with computers outside the zlevel using some kind of space antenna (Observatory maybe? just point the antenna in the direction that best gives you coverage)

The program would kinda work like space craigslist, you see all the deals that your antenna can reach, and hailing a response to the wrong ship could end up bad, with Drones or other alien ships attacking/docking.

Also, some zlevels could maybe have terminals that could be connected to remotely, so using computer magic and an antenna, you could hack other places and mess with their doors maybe. Doing the wrong thing might send a virus to the station that could mess with ai's laws/ the guardbuddies/etc because they have hackers too.
Viruses would be perfect to spice up AI and computers. Unstable door controls, gives random doors random access requirements. Smes cells randomly turning on and off, random AI laws such as advertising and deleting database files forcing the AI to question everything or let him only send one message every 20 seconds to simulate slow processing.
We have a server room by the way. Its right underneath the AI upload. Perfect place for an IT department.
TG's build has a really awesome radio-comms system which, with changes, would go wonderfully with our existing Computer Core and DWAINE system, IMO.
I can't imagine radio control would end up with anything other then someone building a butt virus that replaces most or all words with butt, also a virus that makes everyone sound drunk.

Would be neat if tg station type scripting could be used with the mechanical components for voice control or for radio alerts.

Also being able to turn the speakers in mechanics into a drunk speech simulator could be funny at a smaller scale.

Speak on microphone at specific frequency, Connect computer to radio and computer to speaker.

Code drunk speech filter to work on that frequency.

Also use it for masking your voice like some kind of traitor.
Im liking these ideas, A virus from a syndi uplink that can take over the computer system, I do think this is doo able and with enough backing from the community I hope this can get underway. My faviroute suggestion so far is the one about hacking the AI mainframe which I guess could be done by being an SU on the computer and using a new command called something like local_connect 0200**** that connects to the value, allowing you to control it like a TPROG.
Following on from the other computers list, there is actually a second station with a full computer network on it. and nuke charge smile
Combine with telecoms.

Make this a subjob of mechanics (since they're generally the go-to computer guys who set up your science teleporter anyway)