Thread Rating:
  • 25 Vote(s) - 2.92 Average
[PR] Farts to have 3 second cooldown
I'd rather just have a dedicated 'mute farts' rather than a trait, like turning radio volume to 0, I get we have emote volume but certain emotes: screams are useful to hear. I don't see a issue with this PR though.
(10-02-2023, 09:11 AM)mralexs Wrote: I would add that if there was a fart disbelief trait how would bible farting be handled?

Confetti
Also if you try to fart with disbelief on it will say:
"You feel silly"
(10-02-2023, 09:11 AM)mralexs Wrote: I would add that if there was a fart disbelief trait how would bible farting be handled?

only works if you're also an atheist

smote by a nonexistent god for nonexistent farts

Fartus deletus
Quote:farts are not the spirit of goonstation. we have many many other things

amazingly clownshoes statement from someone that isn't even playing a clown.
(09-30-2023, 11:51 AM)UrsulaMejor Wrote:
(09-30-2023, 10:50 AM)Zamujasa Wrote:
(09-30-2023, 09:37 AM)KikiMofo Wrote: I feel like this is a big split between the Old Blood and the New Blood about the farts.

At its core, I think that's more or less what it is. There are people who enjoy the funky gross-out juvenile humor Goon has harbored for a decade, and there are people who want to move on and make the game less of that, and this is a major conflict point.

Don't like this characterization since:
1) I like the funky gross out humor of goon and don't want that to change
2) I am old blood

There are reasons to dislike sound spam other than "farts gross" or "me new". Which isn't to say that people who say "Farts gross" don't have valid points, they're just not the ones who motivated this PR.

I don't know where you or Cal got the idea that I was saying this is explicitly the opinion of new people; I said no such thing.

I said that this has been Goon's humor and mindset for over a decade at this point (I am a '12 player much like many others), and that some people want to move on and change it. At no point did I say this was exclusively an opinion held by new players, nor did I imply either you or Cal were. I said some people want to "move on". That is exactly what is going on here.

You can be an old player and form new opinions. I doubt any of us here would like to return to the slur-filled racism days, for example.

I have yet to see any evidence of farts actually being out of control or happening repeatedly. We keep stats, and I know we have admins who love trawling logs. If farting is such an epidemic that happens almost every round and drives people to insanity, it should be trivial to bring up evidence of this supposedly happening.

I maintain that this is a bad change for the game and I reiterate that the testmerge is a way to ratchet it from "hey, at least it's not as bad as it was before", which already happened with the 5 to 3 second change. Present an unpalatable take and then dial it down to what you really want, when the answer is that it should never have been changed in the first place.
(10-04-2023, 11:00 AM)Zamujasa Wrote: I have yet to see any evidence of farts actually being out of control or happening repeatedly. We keep stats, and I know we have admins who love trawling logs. If farting is such an epidemic that happens almost every round and drives people to insanity, it should be trivial to bring up evidence of this supposedly happening.

I like farts, I think they can be funny, but I am for this change. I dont think farts are out of control or anything, nor do I find them a common annoyance, however the reason why I like this is simple. A 3 second cooldown doesnt seriously impact the comedic value of farts, when you get into a disarm war with someone to try and fart on them, a cooldown doesnt really impact the comedy of the situation (it arguably enhances it as it makes misfarts more impactful). What a 3 second cooldown does impact is when some player on the shuttle decides to spam f for two minutes straight, it doesnt make it impossible to do so, but it does make it less annoying. 

This change is way nicher then people act like it is, but I think niche changes can be good. I dont think it seriously impacts the upsides but it does impact the annoyances
The goal was to find a cooldown that doesn't impact the normal player's ability to fart as much as they want, while still being long enough that it prevented back to back sound spam. Overall, I think the 3 second cooldown approximated this pretty well, but I don't think the cooldown idea will be explored further.

There are other ways to address sound spam, such as limiting how far the sound travels (thus keeping the spam isolated to engineering), getting rid of the fart gas stuff in engineering (no idea if this is possible at this point, but it would eliminate the mechanical incentive to do so), etc. I'll be looking at that stuff myself at some point.

Just to illustrate something:

This is roughly how far one person can cover if they decide to fart spam on cooldown. They can cover basically all of medbay with non-stop noise while sitting in the lobby. This would, obviously, be in addition to the more normal amount of farts from people just casually tooting as they toot around town.

(10-04-2023, 02:19 PM)UrsulaMejor Wrote: This is roughly how far one person can cover if they decide to fart spam on cooldown. They can cover basically all of medbay with non-stop noise while sitting in the lobby. This would, obviously, be in addition to the more normal amount of farts from people just casually tooting as they toot around town.

that sounds like an issue with fart sound range, not frequency
I don't know how easy it is, but is it possible to have it have less range, the more walls it needs to travel through?
(10-04-2023, 03:25 PM)Sbmhawk Wrote: I don't know how easy it is, but is it possible to have it have less range, the more walls it needs to travel through?

This is one of the things we discussed, and it sounds like it'd be very expensive to do. It'd be a very cool add if this weren't byond, though. (I'm not sure if this is actually a byond issue tbh so much as a server processing power issue but byond is single threaded still so maybe both)
Very disappointed in everyone who thought this was acceptable snd the longer you've been here the more disappointed I am. If you don't like farts, goon is not the server for you.
(10-04-2023, 07:13 PM)Dabir Wrote: Very disappointed in everyone who thought this was acceptable snd the longer you've been here the more disappointed I am. If you don't like farts, goon is not the server for you.

TBH, the people who are in favor of the cooldown because they don't like farts are in the minority. It's not about disliking farts. space bear

The cooldown was such that normal use of the emote was not really impacted. The only thing that stopped being a thing was people farting once per second for like, 20 minutes straight while filling up the engine or being bored in the medbay lobby.
If someone is spamming an emote that is loud and annoys people then someone else should go over and grab them for swirlies till they stop.
EMERGENT GAMEPLAY ACTIVATED