Thread Rating:
  • 25 Vote(s) - 2.92 Average
[PR] Farts to have 3 second cooldown
Quote:+ Players choose whether or not they hear/see specific emotes. This would be an objectively good change regardless of where this PR goes as many members of our community may be uncomfortable with these noises in general.

Fart disbelief trait is a good idea that has been suggested multiple times and i will probably end up coding it.

But
after this one goes through first.
I like this change, it has parity with the other sound/animation emotes now and it's always felt strange to me that there were outliers to that
I meant it for emotes in general and not just for farts; for example you wouldn't see spam text for people laughing, nodding, etc which has a significant impact on the chatlog when a group of people are spamming these emotes. These are the most common emotes to spam because it makes the really cool text above your head get bigger and bigger.

You can get rid of it by filtering out Misc. text in the chat settings but at the cost of removing everything. Just removing or reducing the popular spammable emotes would be ideal instead of our current scorched earth settings.
Because it was posted about on GitHub I am posting here too:

- This is a bad change.
- Some people think farts happen too often, in a game where we have a literal, dedicated fart button. Of all the keyboard keys that we have available, one of them is, by default, fart

Every other knob or dial could be adjusted without changing the cooldown -- either by tweaking the actual amounts of gas created, the benefits/drawbacks from certain buffs, etc. -- but at its core, every single argument for this PR has boiled down to "but farts happen too often and the audio is spammy"

The only thing I have to say on this front is get over it. Farts happen and they are a natural atmosphere of this game. "But I can't hear important station details like shots or screams or other noises": good, because that constant background noise is the aural equivalent of graytiders doing low-grade crime: it's there to be a funny distraction.

This is very much the start of a slippery slope by admission. First the farts, next burps, then whatever other noises you can make.
Totally fine with farts getting a cooldown. It's annoying and makes the game weird for new players, as well as the tired 10 year old jokes attached to em.

Goonstation is more than 'the ss13 server where you fart'. Plenty of players can tie most of their fun experiences to things that aren't a fart emote with a stock sound effect.

In the end, I don't really care after seeing the outright aggression some are displaying over acting like it's going away over a cooldown addition. This is to reduce spam.
I'm personally in the "I don't really care whether this gets in or not" camp but this evidently isn't the case for many people on either side of the issue, including several members of the dev team, and I think that this reaction should be taken note of instead of just being written off as "typical kneejerk Change Bad response". this is evidently a feature that has a place in people's hearts and in the server culture, whether it's something we like or not

typing this is giving me deja vu but honestly the only parts of Fart Mechanics I'd love to see removed are the room smell messages (spammy text that adds nothing imo) and the engineering application (takes far too long and you just have to sit there which leads to Thinking about it too much)
I lean towards this being a good change personally, I've never been big on fart spam. most of the funny moments involving farts for me have been it being used once, usually an unexpected bible fart.

as for the engineering side of things I can't speak much to that, although spamming farts next to an airscrubber never looked super engaging to me. most of my great experiences with this game over the past year and a half have been completely unrelated to the farting mechanic, it was just kinda there. either that or a button I accidentally pressed when trying to hit another emote.

this PR has approval from me Sleeping bee
if this is about emote spam? wasn't that the original reason emotes ended up being able to stack in the chat box?, so why is this really needed even after that?
and in regards to sound spam, i completely agree with Zamujasa on that
[Image: 01e66bcdb24acd420f25b95149fd30fb.png]
(09-30-2023, 08:20 AM)RSG250 Wrote: [Image: 01e66bcdb24acd420f25b95149fd30fb.png]

Salute stacks itself and does not play a sound.

I'd be okay applying a one second cooldown to all non-sound emotes though, you do have a point.
I think a fart disbelief trait would be funny, and I think this PR is awful. I also think it's really cool that the PR got stale closed, reopened, then TM'd without discussion despite positions being clear on it. Farts are a funny core part of goonstation, and it's incredibly depressing to see what happened here regarding them.
I said it on the github, but ill repeat it here.

Having this be tied to the same cooldown as flips/screams just doesn't feel right. I genuinely don't think this is a good idea/PR.

I dont think I've ever seen a PR that has had multiple devs outright say that it's a bad idea, yet still was pushed through like this one is.
I dont think I need to really state anything new, Everything I would like to say has been said by Zamu and sord. Just wanted to state that I am fully against this PR.
(09-30-2023, 08:45 AM)Sord213 Wrote: I think a fart disbelief trait would be funny, and I think this PR is awful. I also think it's really cool that the PR got stale closed, reopened, then TM'd without discussion despite positions being clear on it. Farts are a funny core part of goonstation, and it's incredibly depressing to see what happened here regarding them.

What positions were clear? I reopen staled PRs regularly.
I feel like this is a big split between the Old Blood and the New Blood about the farts.

Farts have always been a part of Goon and sure if it's annoying to some people we can try to figure out some way to make it so THOSE PEOPLE can see less of it or hear less of it instead of changing it for EVERYONE.
The whole fart disbelief trait thing is a good start and we should be talking about stuff in that direction instead of just changing farts for everyone.
Just throwing an idea out here, but...

You have to take in fluids to piss, so why not have farting act the same way but for food? That way you could still technically fart spam, for those that want to do so, but you couldn't do it indefinitely without having to eat in order to build up more gas.