Thread Rating:
  • 25 Vote(s) - 2.92 Average
[PR] Farts to have 3 second cooldown
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[CONTROVERSIAL] [INPUT]
About the PR
Changes the fart cooldown from the default emote cooldown of one second to 3 seconds. Multiplies the fart gas quantities by approximately 3 to match.
Also, internally code wise, replace the time units in the `emote_check()` proc with proper time defines, e.g. `50` => `5 SECONDS` as well as using defines on the oxygen/plasma farts.
Why's this needed?
Prevents spam of one of the more 'powerful' emotes, bringing it in line with things like flipping, which itself has 5 second cooldown. Makes each individual fart count more. Makes engineering using farts less spammy. Reduces noise spam.

Changelog
Code:
changelog
(u)Tyrant
(*)Farts now have a 3 second cooldown instead of 1 second. Fart volume is now 3 times more to make up for it.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
part of a series of prs based on farts (see https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=21610&page=5 for more details).
part 1: the fart cooldown.
make me fart more gas per fart and mayb
buffed fart volume
I'm fine with this. Fart spam is annoying and this still keeps the humor while decreasing the obnoxious behaviour. Also it makes fartburns somewhat harder, which isnt too bad, considering the absolute pain in the ass that molitz beta is.
5 seconds is a lil bit long, but hey this is better then removing it all together.
I personally rather see 3-4 seconds.
Agreed with reducing cooldown to 3, Im pro cooldown but 5 seems too long
Why?

I only see negatives from this. The fart disbelief trait is a better idea.
5 is fine imo since you multiplied the fart amount.

People are complaining about it now but imagine a world where if you want to fart spam the engine you only have to press it once every 5 seconds instead of 1 or 3.

Besides that I cannot possibly see any use in pressing fart more than once in a 5 second interval other than to make audio and chat spam
I dislike the idea of adding the cooldown and multiplying the amount of fart gas released. A couple people standing around and farting once or twice might now trigger the side effects of having too much fart gas in a room (which I think the side effects are funny but happening with just a couple farts would stink(heh)), compared to before where the threshold required more people to stand around farting non stop.

Just while on the subject I DO think removing fart gas from the "optimal engine setup" would be good, perhaps making a new type of gas, but having the option of using farts in the engine to produce some comedic effect or something similar would be good as well.
(08-07-2023, 11:57 AM)Sord213 Wrote: I dislike the idea of adding the cooldown and multiplying the amount of fart gas released. A couple people standing around and farting once or twice might now trigger the side effects of having too much fart gas in a room (which I think the side effects are funny but happening with just a couple farts would stink(heh)), compared to before where the threshold required more people to stand around farting non stop.

If i look at it correctly it was a 150% increase in fart amount, not a 400% which would have been needed for a full compensation. I have the feeling that this won't cause rooms to spontanously get flammable, but i feel like something like that could be done some tests with.
(08-07-2023, 12:11 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 11:57 AM)Sord213 Wrote: I dislike the idea of adding the cooldown and multiplying the amount of fart gas released. A couple people standing around and farting once or twice might now trigger the side effects of having too much fart gas in a room (which I think the side effects are funny but happening with just a couple farts would stink(heh)), compared to before where the threshold required more people to stand around farting non stop.

If i look at it correctly it was a 150% increase in fart amount, not a 400% which would have been needed for a full compensation. I have the feeling that this won't cause rooms to spontanously get flammable, but i feel like something like that could be done some tests with.

The amount has since been increased to approx 400% increase but I can lower it a bit. That said, I am planning a future PR to replace fart gas with a new gas that still retains it's atmospheric properties (possibly calling it methane or sth) and provide a better way to get ahold of it than farting. That way, farting would still work in a TEG burn but wouldn't be the optimal metagamey way to do so.
Oh ok, the last time i looked it went from.0.69 to 1.69, didn't knew it go increased again, my bad.
All for a change that makes farting in a scrubber to make better burns a thing of the past. It's just not fun to press f constantly, fartonium or not
As someone who has spent far too long farting in scrubbers both before and after all the many, many, many nerfs to pipe-burns, I would be pretty okay with farts no - longer being the end-all burn fuel they are now.

Just... Either need Molitz Beta to be a lot less painful to get, or other tweaks/ changes to make other approaches to high output burns viable.
- Could large beta cans just be crafted directly from the crystals, same as other gasses are now, without the long process of stimulating -just- so to get the gas?
- A way to use other processes to synthesize a plasma additive that does what farts do now?
- A change to pipe-leaking so that Molitz Beta burns don't have the double 'so much busywork' whammy of both the collection process AND the endless welding to keep it going?
- Weld-bots to do the tedious work for you if you butter up robotics / cargo?

I guess all outside the scope of what is proposed, but ... Yeah.
A lot of CE mains hung up their magboots and put rocko away with the TEG / pipe changes & rebalances, and -something- needs to be added to make it interesting and fun again. It says something that one of the least enjoyable parts of engineering is the engine. Just cutting one of the last things they have out without a replacement is going to make what should be a very fun and vital part of the station even less interesting.

As a stopgap though reducing frequency and outputting volume would be fair in my view.
Or maybe tie increased volume to eating beans or something, and make engineering start with a few cans? I dunno.