Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Add Sous-Chef as a roundstart role!
Very basic idea. I dont think I really need to explain it to much, Just having Sous chef as a roundstart role to support chef.

Reason why I want it. I like having a sous chef to help me as chef get things done (ask botany for stuff, qm and to prep food and to work on large projects)

in terms of gameplay, it would just be chef 2 pretty much.

Ideas below!!?!?!?

(I really want this to be a thing!)
yeah i'd be fine with it
As soneone who plays chef regulary, yes please! A second hand for the chef is always great to have. Also, chef can be stressfull for beginner, so that will really help.
I dont see why not?

Why not add the "Waiter" at round start too to help with the bartender.

Now we can have 2 chefs and 2 bartender.

Chaplain might want an assistant too, but this one isn't as mechanically intense...so no...
What if we had a full team of cooks and there would be a head chef to guide the team
(08-04-2023, 01:13 PM)Thebutler Wrote: What if we had a full team of cooks and there would be a head chef to guide the team

That feels like it'd need its own map, like the wrestler map, with a MASSIVE Kitchen! Botany and cargo in the wings as well to produce all the food needed. Maybe some unique system to track cooked item complexity and quality that goes out and gives the kitchen a score. Have a sweatshop kitchen focused on a million perfect sweedish meatballs, or a laid back pastry kitchen that just makes whatever cakes you can think up for the hell of it.
I think it's a good idea. Definitely most kitchens are designed for just Chef, but 2-3 people under them would work fine. 1 guy to man the kitchen, 1 guy to man the front, and a go between the two
Personally, i don't really like it. Some chefs, myself included, prefer to work the kitchen alone at a slower pace. I much prefer sous-chef and waiter being an occasional thing that happens instead of happening most rounds.
Also going to the Head of Personnel and asking for a job change to sous-chef is rarely met with refusal.
I'm all for just because of how big the food side of things is, yet one person per round gets to have a go at it
I'm afraid this would make some people not want to chef. Waiter as a possible alternative?
(08-06-2023, 12:48 AM)Silent Majority Wrote: I'm afraid this would make some people not want to chef.  Waiter as a possible alternative?

whats the reason that it would make some people not want to chef? thats like saying having multiple engineers makes people not want to play engineer, or roboticist etc. 

I dont know, I always thought it would be better for people especially new chefs as they arent having to purely figure everything out on their own, if they need help hopefully either the sous chef/chef knows what they are doing to help, and if neither knows, then its no different to being alone. maybe they can figure out what they are doing together.

Whats your reason for it not making people want to play chef?

and on the topic of waiter, idk. The thing about waiter is that waiter is HEAVILY reliant on either the chef or bartender doing their job. if they arent the waiter literally has zero purpose. So thats the reason I wouldnt be a big fan of the waiter being added as a regular job.

Does this sound hostile? I was reading it over and It kinda read hostile. If it does, umm im very sorry but I cant really find a way to rephrase it to include all my points and not make it sound hostile? so umm please dont take it that way smile

AHHHH IM DOING THAT THING WHERE I LOOK AT THE APOLOGY AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS AND EVEN THAT SEEMS AGRESSIVE. AHHHHHHHH
Well Bartimeus said it earlier but a lot of chefs dont LIKE sous chefs. The job is fiddly and time consuming. Having some people required to share it might make it unappealing to them. Also some kitchens would be cramped.

I don't mind it. But the stock in the kitchen vendor really isnt big enough for two. As an example we onky start with enough dough to make 10 biscuits.
(08-06-2023, 12:48 AM)Silent Majority Wrote: I'm afraid this would make some people not want to chef.  Waiter as a possible alternative?

The game is all about working with other people, I don't think people wanting to be solo should ever be a reason not to implement something. You still will have some shifts with only one chef (after all, currently some shifts have none), and there's always the bartender still who's chef-adjacent enough to be solo.

Sous-chef is already in the game so it's not like adding a new role that had never been there before. Most maps already support 2 people in the kitchen.
Beyond that, there is always the space diner as alternative to banish the sous chef to.
This... Makes no sense to have as a roundstart role. Guaranteed gimmick job, sure, but if you join as sous-chef with no chef, you're just a chef. Why add the ability to join as a support role when the role you're supporting isn't guaranteed to be staffed?