Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicken Soup nerf
Chicken Soup is the second-best among all reagents for restoring hunger, second only to George Melonium, which is 25% better per volume. Without going too deep into the code, it's because it has a relatively average amount of hunger restored per tick, but its depletion rate is half of normal. Twice as effective as Triple C is for thirst. One 60-credit can can bring you up from 0% hunger to 100% hunger.
Three times. Kinda crazy.

Even worse, it's the best option for food poisoning. Taking only one sip has a 93% chance of curing food poisoning. Other options for curing food poisoning are robustissin, which has a 98% chance of curing food poisoning at 5 units, and puts you at risk of getting an addiction. Considering that the ONLY cure for an addiction is to sleep for 2-3 minutes (Note that the maximum recommended brig time by spacelaw is 5 minutes), that 5% difference is well worth it. Tumeric and Honey Tea are harder to get and worse than chicken soup, so I'm not considering them. (note: I wasn't able to find anything saying that spaceacillin cured food poisoning in the code.)
I feel.that chicken soups ability to cure food poisoning is fine, imo. Food poisoning is just annoying and thus hsving a good way out is fine. And hunger is hardly a balance issue.

Personally, the stock on chicken soup on vendors is too high, imo. It should be reduced. To compensate, i think more foodchems should actually cure food poisoning.
this sounds like less of a chicken soup problem and more of a "food/hunger code is very old and pretty bad" problem

also I think making food poisoning harder to cure is a bad idea actually as currently it just makes it so that you throw up everywhere indefinitely until it gets cured. don't really see why anyone would have a vested interest in making getting rid of that harder actually but it is what it is
(08-04-2023, 08:48 AM)Waffleloffle Wrote: I think making food poisoning harder to cure is a bad idea actually as currently it just makes it so that you throw up everywhere indefinitely until it gets cured. don't really see why anyone would have a vested interest in making getting rid of that harder actually but it is what it is
Robustissin probably needs a buff moreso in that aspect, yeah.
Why is this in RP discussion?
(08-04-2023, 11:57 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Why is this in RP discussion?
...Good question.
(08-04-2023, 11:57 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Why is this in RP discussion?
maybe because of the hunger and thirst stuff and it's an easy alternative to just avoid cafeteria completely
No, it should be in ideas and suggestions.
(08-04-2023, 09:20 PM)mintyphresh Wrote: No, it should be in ideas and suggestions.

Moved
(08-05-2023, 08:28 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(08-04-2023, 09:20 PM)mintyphresh Wrote: No, it should be in ideas and suggestions.

Moved

Thanks!!
(08-04-2023, 08:48 AM)Waffleloffle Wrote: this sounds like less of a chicken soup problem and more of a "food/hunger code is very old and pretty bad" problem

also I think making food poisoning harder to cure is a bad idea actually as currently it just makes it so that you throw up everywhere indefinitely until it gets cured. don't really see why anyone would have a vested interest in making getting rid of that harder actually but it is what it is

Agreed, if we're going to nerf chicken soup it should be as a food. Maybe a nerf to all vendor'd foods so they don't fill you up as much as fresh cooked foods, but they're still there as a backup just in case the chef is gone or making only garbage.

Keeping chicken soup as the easy way to get rid of food poisoning is fine, since honestly I don't like the idea of needing to run down to medbay after eating a single slice of vending machine pizza for a shot so i don't start vomiting everywhere.

...maybe we could look into food poisoning too...
For food poisoning ... I tthink food needs to be either undercooked or starting to rot.

A simple examing the food will say the following:
- This food looks fine (no poisoning)
- This food looks unfinished (Undercooked , poisoning chance)
- This food looks bad (vending machine pizza and such)
- This food looks raw (...Do I even?)
- This food looks great! (no poisoning)
- This food looks fine? (Food left out too long)
- This food looks moldy (Poisoning)
- This food looks gross (do I even?)

I do think a food decay mechanic would be nice too. The higher the nutiricion the food is... the faster it will rot. (with a minimum of 3 minutes)
Note: As long as the food is left in the OPEN will it start ticking. Bags, fridges and crates preserve it.
Maybe the price for chicken should be higher. Keep the ammount of the hunger it restored, but nerf the thirst restore. It's fulfilling but it's too salty to hydrate you. So people would need to buy a drink or just get to the water cooler.
(08-07-2023, 02:41 AM)Kotlol Wrote: For food poisoning ... I tthink food needs to be either undercooked or starting to rot.

A simple examing the food will say the following:
- This food looks fine (no poisoning)
- This food looks unfinished (Undercooked , poisoning chance)
- This food looks bad (vending machine pizza and such)
- This food looks raw (...Do I even?)
- This food looks great! (no poisoning)
- This food looks fine? (Food left out too long)
- This food looks moldy (Poisoning)
- This food looks gross (do I even?)

I do think a food decay mechanic would be nice too. The higher the nutiricion the food is... the faster it will rot. (with a minimum of 3 minutes)
Note: As long as the food is left in the OPEN will it start ticking. Bags, fridges and crates preserve it.
This is actually a pretty good solution. The issue is that there's no difference in visuals between a moldy slice of bread and a pristine one. Some examine indicators could help, but if there's a spoilage thing being introduced we'd need new sprites for spoiling foods, even if it's just the color of the food changing.

Currently, we have a semi-spoilage in the form of ants, which don't do much. I wouldn't say just leaving food out should spoil it, as this would severely diminish chef gameplay of people who want to prepare lots of food for the crew, but then that food spoils before anyone even gets to eat it.
(08-03-2023, 08:44 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: I feel.that chicken soups ability to cure food poisoning is fine, imo. Food poisoning is just annoying and thus hsving a good way out is fine. And hunger is hardly a balance issue.

As a side not, spaceacillin can cure food poisoning, although it's cheaper to buy chicken soup.