Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PR] Light space suit change (atmos_movespeed)
Information 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[Controversial][Input Wanted]

About the PR
Implements a new property, atmos_movespeed, which doesn't slow you down unless the pressure on a turf is above half an atmosphere (50kPa)
Adds a atmos_movespeed property to the light engi suits. The property is speedier than the standard space_movespeed on eva suits.

Why's this needed?
There seem to be a fair amount of dissatisfaction towards the light engi suits. I asked #spacestation-chat what they though of giving them a small amount of slowdown and 4 people instantly replied with "remove them."
Personally I don't feel as strongly against them, but I'm still not a fan how they're strictly better than not wearing anything at all. It makes me a bit unhappy when I roll CE and I have to choose between looking like a powergaming nerd and putting the suit on at roundstart or "playing wrong" by leaving power on the table.

After getting input, I've learned that the purpose of the suits is for engineers to fix breaches without being slowed down, atmos_movespeed lets them serve their purpose still.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Garash
(+)New type of slowdown implemented, "atmos_movespeed," which doesn't slow you down in low pressure environments or in space.
(+)Light space suits now have a small mount of atmos_movespeed
[Clothing][Balance]

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Good change. Light spacesuits not having a cooldown was intended for miners, but misses the point that every other spacesuit in the game has a cooldown. I came to (subconsciously, of course) distrust light spacesuit wearers because of how often they were abused in the short window since they were added.
Mentioned this on the pr, but the material costs should just be increased to not depend on roundstart materials that way it forms as a sidegrade to the indy suit, this significantly reduces powergamability and makes it more interesting gameplay wise

Wait okay I am a dumby it already costs bohrum! But bohrum is super common, maybe make it cost filbrillith?
My 2 cents is that there shouldn't be space suits with no slowdown otherwise people are just going to wear that no matter the other stats because space protection is so valuable. See: this and the indie suit before it.
Personally, I think it shouldn’t be able to be mech scanned, but should still retain its stats. I like the idea of the light space suit being something that is powerful, but difficult to obtain if you aren’t the CE.
I think the light space suit should have a slow down as Leah says.
Space suits are suppose to be clunky no matter what.

If you want to lower the speed... then nerf some of it's other stats.

Personally.. I'd say keep the low speed, but add a "minor" mechanized boots to wear + belt to power it.
Thus you are giving up a belt slot and boots slot to get a speed boost with a pocket oxygen tank
Or.. you keep being slow and wear a jetpack.
I think it wouldn't feel so bad if it would require actually effort to make, which means being locked somewhere and not directly accessable for powergamers. (Research system for science when?)

Anyway, i think a slowdown is a good solution to this. They will still be desirable, although less so than the captains highly armored suit.
(08-03-2023, 02:06 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: I think it wouldn't feel so bad if it would require actually effort to make, which means being locked somewhere and not directly accessable for powergamers. (Research system for science when?)

Anyway, i think a slowdown is a good solution to this. They will still be desirable, although less so than the captains highly armored suit.

YES, WE NEED A RESEARCH SYSTEM, GIVE SCIENTISTS A JOB TODAY!

oh and I guess on the topic of the light space suit, yeah make it more expensive or something. also can I just say, the captains SPACE SUIT, not normal suit is literally just a retextured regular civilian spacesuit
(08-03-2023, 02:22 AM)Frolicsome Flufficorn Wrote: also can I just say, the captains SPACE SUIT, not normal suit is literally just a retextured regular civilian spacesuit

Oh, then i mixed up the two, my bad.
non-antagonist space suits should have some sort of slowdown, im in support of this change
The (intended) point of the light space suit was for engineers to use to quickly fix breaches. A couple ideas I've heard that I'd prefer would be making it have a delay when worn in pressurized environments, but in unpressurized environments no slowdown. This would still be different from a normal suit that only loses the slowdown when on a space tile. Another that, while being kinda weird mechanically, would still work is making the light space suit grant negative armor (melee and ranged). IE you take more damage while wearing it. Yet another idea that I'm less keen on but would still prefer would be increasing the cost to create them. (cough or if someone wanted to make a whole research system I (me, sord, singular developer/player) think that would be heckin cool)
It's nice to know that they're intended to fix breaches, next time someone asks me what they were designed to do I can answer that instead of a shrug!
The no slowdown in low to unpressurized areas sounds like a neat fix, like some sort of atmosphere_movespeed instead of space_movespeed, I'll try to change the PR into that if I have the time and no one beats me to it.
make the light suit puncturable

edit: i mean like, you get shot or stabbed, and it’s fabric. It’s no longer airtight so it loses resistances.

double edit: make nanolooms patch them