Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Require nukie team approval for leaving with pods
I love the teamwork the Nukies gamemode fosters, and it feels amazing to have the plan you just formulated with 5-8 random people win you the shift. What's infuriating, though, is when your would-be plan is foiled by a lone wolf running to the podbay and getting caught immediately at station before you can say "WAIT DONT LEAVE YET". The time until you are called out on the station radio is a big factor in a nukie round, as the longer the crew takes to arm up, the more time you have to plant, arm, and barricade. Because of this, I believe preventing lone wolves (and I call such players this as I often do not see them communciate with the team) from using the podbay pods until everyone is ready is a needed feature.

In my experience, setup on the Caringorn usually goes like so:
Spawn, determine where the plant site will be, gather gear/discuss class loadouts, discuss any further plans/routes/roles, and then gather in the podbay to leave. Optionally, have everyone wait in podbay while an infiltrator goes to sabotage/get the disk.

Thus, a solution which requires multiple team members, including the commander, to consent to you running off in a pod solo becomes natural in the flow of a typical nukie prep time, while preventing lone wolves from leaving without the rest of the team's consent. As for the teleporter, I believe that's fair game, as it is an effective tool for infiltrators that is less likely to result in early discovery than warping to the main hangar in a clearly nukie-flavored pod.

To reiterate, my complaint here is not when individual players leaving before the rest of the team, it is when that is done without the knowledge and/or consent of other team members. It is a team game, and as such, you should be obligated to cooperate.

[Image: kqFgRXy.png]
I get where you're coming from. Yes its frustrating. But I don't feel it happens all that often, and when it does - so be it. Roll with the chaotic situation you just got handed. Play to have fun, don't play to win. SS13 shouldn't be competitive imho.
I don't think it should be competetive, this is about making it cooperative.
"lone wolfing" is such a blunderous nukie strategy, I think it's just as bad as TTV-ing or plasma fireing the nukies as crew. Meaning these problems should primarily be solved through ahelps.
(08-02-2023, 06:14 AM)Garash Wrote: "lone wolfing" is such a blunderous nukie strategy, I think it's just as bad as TTV-ing or plasma fireing the nukies as crew. Meaning these problems should primarily be solved through ahelps.
TTV-ing and setting plasmafire to nukies ARE blunderous strategies, but I believe that lone wolf nukies is different. Preventing a "lone wolf" nukie from going out on their own IS preventable in a way that makes sense, without restricting the playstyle of rushing in at all. I'm going to try and start coding this now, if capable, just to see if I can make something to demonstrate. If I get something working, I'll put it here.
How about the Nuke Commander can blow up any of the syndicate pods from their PDA?

Someone takes off early? Boom! NT crew steals an unlocked pod? Boom!
(08-05-2023, 03:56 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: How about the Nuke Commander can blow up any of the syndicate pods from their PDA?

Good idea, but it could also lead to grieving your fellow nukies, wich means more Ahelping.. but not doing anything also causes more Ahelping..

Both end the round anyway....
(08-05-2023, 03:56 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: How about the Nuke Commander can blow up any of the syndicate pods from their PDA?

Biggest issue with this is that there was a recent round where a nukie commander bought syndie hat, grabbed RPG, teleported to station, and started shooting fellow nukies once they arrived. Everyone in the after-round was complaining about the fact that this was even possible. An "armory auth" style barrier in front of podbay that needed 3 permissions to unlock would be an effective deterrent I think. Maybe once the door opened, red lights could flash to alert the rest of the team, too.
https://i.imgur.com/l6aqySw.mp4 For some reason I can't upload the gif here, but this is a link to what I'm thinking.

https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/15305