Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
How to Engine
The grille was likely one that was directly linked to the engine core. Grilles are serious business, seriously. Want a headache sometime? Wrench/crowbar up the engineering floor tiles and stare into the abyss.  AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

Not an admin, but a few things you shouldn't do as a non-antag:
  • Open the PTL doors (a few of them get opened by buddies and borgs, that's fine) after melting the laser interlocks. (the beam-blocking doors which don't block beams so well)
  • Hotwire the engine. There are legitimate uses for hotwiring, like solars. I don't think anybody is gonna set up an engine weak enough to hotwire safely, so just don't.
  • Open a direct path from hot gasses to the hallway. This basically means don't bolt open engineering to the hallway.
  • Release any gases outside of engineering. I would think this obvious, but I've seen people release plasma, n2, and co2 in the hallways to see what it would do as a normal spaceman.
  • Anything with the express purpose of killing non-valid people. If your first thought is "I want to kill people", and you or they aren't an antag, don't.
  • Fail to kill that fucking monkey. Always getting in the way of me draggin' cans and stealin' all me tools. Rathen a dick. SO ANGRY

As for hellburns bein' easier, I'd agree. It just feel easier. It could just be I'm more comfortable with the setup? Maybe it goes with my flow? I dunno. I also never have to worry about it again. If I don't hellburn then I just hotwire solars. More dependable, less messy, no danger, and leaves the engine there for people who want to play with it. Anyways, my process for getting the combustion chamber started:

1. Start as CE, obviously. Saves a minute.
  2. Equipment phase: Turn off PDA messaging, insert card, put in ID slot. Loot CE locker for utility belt and load it with mechanical toolkit plus a multitool. Load up the RCD and stick it in backpack. Go to the engineering storage and equip a spacesuit, spacehelmet, and magboots while grabbing a gasmask and fire extinguisher, and topping off an eTank with oxygen on the way. I do all this even when not hellburning.
  3. From engineering storage, head up to gas storage. On the way there, I grab an empty can and also turn on the gas mixer.
  4. Mix 66/33 (oxygen/plasma) with obvious method. Wrench the resulting two cans of mix onto the combustion chamber hookups and open those two valves.
  5. Immediately open up the combustion chamber vents, then head into the combustion chamber and pop 'the hole'. If the sparks from the RCD don't ignite the chamber, then I stand near the inlet and switch RCD modes (activate in hand). It should start. (If you're on fire, it's alright, but you waited too long. If it doesn't start then you missed something)
  6. Return to the hotloop and RCD under fuel cans to keep from exploding.
  7. Return to mixer and set to 50kPa, which basically gives you a one tile fire that lasts practically forever.
Sounds horribly complicated, I'm sure. It's been awhile but I think it takes me around 3 minutes. Then you could just wrench a plasma in the same aux ports as a vanilla engine and have it hellburn for literal hours.
I welcome people to make the point that my furnace setup is either "messy" or "dangerous"

I also accept that erikhanson may have meant "easier" and not "easier to set up" and that he mis-spoke.

Again, I am not arguing that it requires any less maintenance (since people seem to like arguing that)

I do accept, however, that a less easy-to-set-up method may, in fact, incorrectly feel easier-to-set-up.

And I still welcome someone to make the argument that there is some other way to set up - set up, not run, set up - the engine that is easier than my method (which let's not forget was originally outlined by vitatroll; it's not like I invented it, I'm just pointing out it's the best)

Edited to add

I am fully planning on arguing why my prefered engine setup is the best, but I can not do so until we agree what words mean.

Edited to further add

This thread has become "the engine thread" and as such, if you have a tried and true method, outline it here, and I will add it to the first post. I won't stop from arguing my methods are the best in the thread, but if this is going to be "the" engine thread, I will keep the first post relatively neutral.

Final edit to this post

I strongly feel that the furnace method should be THE first method that all new players should do. If a new player is the only one working in engineering, and come into this thread, I, very strongly feel that the furnace method is what they need to do.

Nothing about the furnace method prevents them from turning it into a hellburn, or, experimenting with the combustion chamber, or anything else of the sort. It is safe - if you do what I've put in the image nothing will catch fire, ever. It is easy - you can do the entire thing before the 3 minute mark, roundstart lag included. And it is low maintenance. Even if you don't want to come back to refill the furnace, or, ask the AI to just turn on another furnace you've prefilled, the fact that you have two if not four full SMES units will mean the station will continue running with power for 90 minutes to 2 hours, at which point, its extremely likely that someone, anyone, will have wandered by a furnace, and can easily turn it on with a single click.

If you've done the engine before, fine, go for a hellburn, but if you've not, you should start with the furnace method.
(02-27-2016, 04:30 PM)TheNewTeddy Wrote: I welcome people to make the point that my furnace setup is either "messy" or "dangerous"

I also accept that erikhanson may have meant "easier" and not "easier to set up" and that he mis-spoke.

Again, I am not arguing that it requires any less maintenance (since people seem to like arguing that)

I do accept, however, that a less easy-to-set-up method may, in fact, incorrectly feel easier-to-set-up.

And I still welcome someone to make the argument that there is some other way to set up - set up, not run, set up - the engine that is easier than my method (which let's not forget was originally outlined by vitatroll; it's not like I invented it, I'm just pointing out it's the best)

Edited to add

I am fully planning on arguing why my prefered engine setup is the best, but I can not do so until we agree what words mean.

Edited to further add

This thread has become "the engine thread" and as such, if you have a tried and true method, outline it here, and I will add it to the first post. I won't stop from arguing my methods are the best in the thread, but if this is going to be "the" engine thread, I will keep the first post relatively neutral.

Final edit to this post

I strongly feel that the furnace method should be THE first method that all new players should do. If a new player is the only one working in engineering, and come into this thread, I, very strongly feel that the furnace method is what they need to do.

Nothing about the furnace method prevents them from turning it into a hellburn, or, experimenting with the combustion chamber, or anything else of the sort. It is safe - if you do what I've put in the image nothing will catch fire, ever. It is easy - you can do the entire thing before the 3 minute mark, roundstart lag included. And it is low maintenance. Even if you don't want to come back to refill the furnace, or, ask the AI to just turn on another furnace you've prefilled, the fact that you have two if not four full SMES units will mean the station will continue running with power for 90 minutes to 2 hours, at which point, its extremely likely that someone, anyone, will have wandered by a furnace, and can easily turn it on with a single click.

If you've done the engine before, fine, go for a hellburn, but if you've not, you should start with the furnace method.

Goodness you take this seriously.

If one has fun setting up the engine with furnaces, that's cool. When I ask people new to the engine about how they want me to teach them, they tend to choose the raging, droning inferno bent on devouring the souls of the living. That's cool too. Even if somebody just wants to dump all of the gases in randomly to see what happens, it's all cool. Nobody has any actual responsibilities sans Security. Do whatever you find fun. Simple as that.

There never was and never will be a best method for anything in this game. Since the objective is fun, then the goal is subjective to the player.
(02-27-2016, 06:47 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Goodness you take this seriously.

I just want people to admit the furnace method is the easiest engine to set up, which it is. That's really all I want.
(02-27-2016, 03:22 PM)Vitatroll Wrote:
  1. Equipment phase: Turn off PDA messaging, insert card, put in ID slot.
  • What!?!?!!?
    This changes EVERYTHING.

It's just like the time when someone told me that I could put emergency oxygen tanks in my pocket when I thought that they could only go on my belt.
    (02-28-2016, 04:22 PM)Armchair Wrote:
    (02-27-2016, 03:22 PM)Vitatroll Wrote:
    1. Equipment phase: Turn off PDA messaging, insert card, put in ID slot.

U
  • What!?!?!!?
    This changes EVERYTHING.

It's just like the time when someone told me that I could put emergency oxygen tanks in my pocket when I thought that they could only go on my belt.
  • I played this game for years without knowing you could swap your uniform on the fly without dumping all your items out onto the floor.