Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bespoke suits and gear.
Currently, making your own suit, or any other clothing, is near worthless, as none of the resistance's other than thermal take effect.

Also, the current system causes even the most powerful of suits near worthless compared to simple armors. I created a spacesuit out of nanofiber, uqill, and Iridum, and it had a meager 5 defense, and 1.5 ranged protection, making it worthless compared to a vest that all security members start with. The helmets also lack a flashlight. I am suggesting that suits made from materials could be more powerful, but more difficult to make, requiring more than just shoving materials into a fabricator, and instead requiring some sort of smithing or, at the very least, multi-step crafting, like pods.
Made a similar space suit using rare / hard to find materials about a year ago and got the same result you did. I remember bug reporting it and the response being that it was mostly intended.

Definitely agree that if you're spending 20 to 30 minutes in a round finding rare or tough to obtain materials to build something, the end result should be better than the space suits that spawn in EVA storage.
I agree, I've messed around with the feature and is seems very lacking. I think some of the properties of the materials used should carry over. Naturally there's a balance to strike, lest people routinely make broken armors and become unkillable gods, but at least some form of inheritance could make experimenting more fun and rewarding.
(07-01-2023, 07:39 AM)Glamurio Wrote: I agree, I've messed around with the feature and is seems very lacking. I think some of the properties of the materials used should carry over. Naturally there's a balance to strike, lest people routinely make broken armors and become unkillable gods, but at least some form of inheritance could make experimenting more fun and rewarding.

Could be heavier/denser metals like bohrium offer greater protection at the cost of slower movement speed. Having properties transfer to the suit could lead to more alloys being made for various suits.
I wasn't around to experience this, but I'm pretty sure you could become invincible with the custom suits a while ago so they were toned heavily down. Speed penalties meant nothing with mechboots after all.

I do agree that there should be something more to these suits to make them worthwhile, instead of a relic of past glories. Or maybe there's already something there that has yet to be tapped into yet, I sure haven't done much to experiment with em yet.
(07-07-2023, 08:00 PM)Dhaidburt Wrote: I wasn't around to experience this, but I'm pretty sure you could become invincible with the custom suits a while ago so they were toned heavily down. Speed penalties meant nothing with mechboots after all.

I do agree that there should be something more to these suits to make them worthwhile, instead of a relic of past glories. Or maybe there's already something there that has yet to be tapped into yet, I sure haven't done much to experiment with em yet.

I have a big issue with mechboots in general in the game. They're too good and too easy to make. I can't speak for everyone, but I personally wouldn't mind making them much, much harder to make to justify how good they are.

Right now, I can't think of a single reason to be using the mechanic, which is a shame because it has a lot of potential, both for mechanical ingenuity as well as visual expression. Imagine being able to pick the design of your space suit to resemble any of the existing ones. That way you could truly make your own outfits with a little bit of effort.