Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Explosions and Containers
Lightbulb 
Right now, stuff inside lockers and crates will always be fully immune from an explosion, no matter how severe it is. This always seemed a bit silly to me, that an explosion strong enough to annihilate a reinforced wall and the turf under it would be unable to even dent the space people and the objects inside the locker it destroyed.

What if the contents of an exploded locker were affected with a lesser explosion severity than what the locker had. E.g. if a crate suffered an explosion of severity 1, the crate's content would suffer explosions of severities 2. If a locker was destroyed by an explosion of severity 3, then it's content would be unaffected as that's the least severe explosion.

We could also use prob() like much of the explosion code uses to, on a per object basis, either keep the severity the same, lower it by one, or even maybe much further down.

This would be a very simple change to code, just a few lines in large_storage_parent.dm's ex_act's method.
To be fair... fridges survived nukes and it's content being unradiated and fine.
So yea... this isn't farfetched. Lockers and crates protect you from rad storms too.. so this suggestion isn't a bad one.. but not accurate from what we see.

I think it should depend on the NATURE of an explosion and what chemicals were used.
There are a good chunk of mechanics thst rely on explosions not destroyibg contents, e.g. id locked crates and lockers.

This makes sense and could be done, but would require some rebalancing.
(06-29-2023, 09:23 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: There are a good chunk of mechanics thst rely on explosions not destroyibg contents, e.g. id locked crates and lockers.

This makes sense and could be done, but would require some rebalancing.

I view that as an upside, you wanna use an explosive yolo technique to crack open a locked container? Well now there's a risk to it

(06-29-2023, 09:22 AM)Kotlol Wrote: To be fair... fridges survived nukes and it's content being unradiated and fine.
So yea... this isn't farfetched.

Yeah but in game they don't survive, they get nuked off of existence with their contents unaffected. If the in game fridge came out unscathed or just charred on the edge, maybe with a broken lock, then the contents being unaffected would make sense.
I think it does make a lot more sense not to be completely immune from an explosion just because you're in a locker or whatnot.
Would be cool to see different "containers" you can be inside of offering different levels of explosion resistance, depending on what exactly the container is (though, I can imagine this could require more work, or something like a var for every large container with a default value.)

Just for the sake of it, rating a few containers I can think of fitting in with explosion ratings 1-5 (1 being least protective, 5 being a walking bunker):
Regular closet - 2 (Not great, but it's easy to find and easily buildable in seconds)
Secure closet (They're called closets, not lockers, right?) - 4 (The ones in security, that you have to bash open to get into. Maybe more of a 3, though.)
Pods (These are probably containers, right?) - 5 (You've got armor and everything, I don't think you're going to feel it yourself)
Disposal / mail chutes - 1 (You're covered on a few angles, but up overhead isn't safe still)
Etc / default value - 2
Of course that was fun, but I felt it was worth pointing out that there are different things you can fit inside while playing that intuitively (to me, at least) would offer varying levels of protection.

I think no matter what, though, explosions like a maxcap TTV should be able to do something to you, even a small fraction of the explosion power, when you're hiding in a metal closet or whatnot. It makes sense you'd come out mostly unharmed, but unscathed is weird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rwka-RfUKw
I personally have always viewed this as a bit of a "bug" or rather a deficiency in the explosion code. But it's sort of annoying to do nicely as it means you'd basically need to keep a list of what you've already exploded on the current tile and then keep iterating over the tile for as long as new things keep appearing there (because you can have a container in a container in a container etc. and destruction of each of them spills the contents). I think this will have some nontrivial impact on explosion performance (because you need to iterate over the contents at least twice as opposed to current one iteration) but it'd probably be bearable. I'd welcome a PR implementing this or some other equally good or better way of handling the issue.

But also I think that the container should provide a decent amount of explosion power reduction.
Fridges surviving nuclear blasts is just a fun rumor, it's not a real thing. It sounds annoying to code from what I'm reading in here, but it's 100% true that it doesn't make sense for containers to be perfectly fine when everything else around them is demolished in an explosion.

Granted I don't think it's gonna ruin any games if it stays the way it is, but you're right about it being silly. +1
Fridges can survive nukes if "alot of different factors happen"
Same as it's contents (I forgot to mention that but I wanted to bait the fridge joke)

But yea depending on the bomb... the container dies (contents is fine), The container is fine and neither are fine.
A neutron bomb for example? YEA SO LONG CONTENTS!
I could see the person inside of a locker that's hit by an explosion to be hit by shrapnel that's breaking off the locker itself, kind of like being hit by a slamgun. Perhaps it's as simple as introducing a "broken" sprite for lockers, once they break they launch nearby shrapnel. And if they suffer more explosive damage after, the locker gets fully destroyed.
honestly i'm keen on the idea that locker ex_acts simply apply a big physical shock on their contents and maybe rattle people inside around for some brute. no need to make them completely unsafe, but making them less-safe would make sense.
i'd even hazard removing the Qdel completely below severity 3, and maybe locking them open with a burned sprite or something.