Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Midround Antag Event: Martian Invasion.
I got to take part in a Martian Invasion during a past round and I really enjoyed it though it was short lived. The Martians feel like they'd be a strong opposing force against NT with just as much resolve as the few other opposing factions such as the Syndicate. I think they'd make great midround antagonists as well because it would give the impression of your regular militaristic group from an alien empire doing a quick skirmish. 

It would sort of go like this; the martians spawn in group of 4-6. They might have different psionic options in the future but rely on a psionic stun and short distance teleportation; maybe some special kind of adequate laser weaponry to go with it. If they get their own ships and base they'd look like a generic UFO and ultimately other than doing a skirmish they are trying to store crew to harvest them as an objective. If they don't, they just spawn in some random location like a space spider might and begin their assault. 

Side Note: I like the mutantraces being regular but alien races would be fun to be able to start as in general. Different types of clothing/weaponry/items to follow it too, not everything should be under the tyranny of the opposable thumb.
There were plans for a martian gamemode much like you describe, but it was never finished. Its something I plan to pickup on at some point.

You can see some of the leftovers in code/mob/living/critter/martian.dm
(06-29-2023, 06:24 AM)Cheffie Wrote: There were plans for a martian gamemode much like you describe, but it was never finished. Its something I plan to pickup on at some point.

You can see some of the leftovers in code/mob/living/martian.dm

Wasn't that the inspiration for the flock game mode
No flock has been around for a long time it was just only finished recently
(06-29-2023, 08:05 AM)Cheffie Wrote: No flock has been around for a long time it was just only finished recently

Good to know
I've always dreamed of an emergency where a bunch of martian mobs spawn in an area and invade the ship but making them midrounds would also be clutch! I was there for that player martian invasion and it was really cool. +1
Please no, Martian Mutants gib ability is overpowered and unfun to play against.
Only one kind of martian has the gib stare
Yeah, not all the martians have gib stares. Obviously opening up martian gameplay would mean balanced and varied things.
Martians are dying out, doesn't really make sense lorewise for a small force (That lost already) to take on NT regularly?
(07-01-2023, 01:26 AM)Cal Wrote: Martians are dying out, doesn't really make sense lorewise for a small force (That lost already) to take on NT regularly?

Depends on the way you view it. "Regularly" implies there's a continuity between shifts, which isn't really that guaranteed considering it's been the same year for many years. If anything, this "martian invasion" event could be a last ditch effort of the remaining forces to attack. Not to mention, new lore about cloning technology improvements (perhaps with outside assistance) could be introduced that could explain the sudden influx of martians.
(07-01-2023, 07:43 AM)Glamurio Wrote:
(07-01-2023, 01:26 AM)Cal Wrote: Martians are dying out, doesn't really make sense lorewise for a small force (That lost already) to take on NT regularly?

Depends on the way you view it. "Regularly" implies there's a continuity between shifts, which isn't really that guaranteed considering it's been the same year for many years. If anything, this "martian invasion" event could be a last ditch effort of the remaining forces to attack. Not to mention, new lore about cloning technology improvements (perhaps with outside assistance) could be introduced that could explain the sudden influx of martians.

Maybe the syndicate brought back martians
Martians would absolutely clone themselves on mass and be capable of grasping that kind of tech. The Syndicate probably would have a lot of intersection and reason to help them acquire it. Gaining the majority of a species as a nearly lost but recovered ally would be a pretty competent/epic choice lorewise.